Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Officer makes obscene gesture at pro-immigrant protesters

Officer makes obscene gesture at pro-immigrant protesters
    Jim Walsh
    The Arizona Republic
    Sept. 6, 2007 05:51 PM

Mesa police plan to discipline an officer who admitted making an obscene gesture as he drove past pro-immigrant protesters Wednesday in a marked police vehicle.

Sgt. Mike Doherty, a 20-year veteran, admitted he made obscene gestures "due to his general distaste for protesters," according to Holly Hosac, a Mesa police spokeswoman.

Doherty was in uniform when he passed about 30 members of Immigrants Without Borders, an immigrant advocacy group that has protested in the past against crackdowns on undocumented immigrants by Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas and Sheriff Joe Arpaio. advertisement

The group was protesting peacefully at Alma School Road and Main Street. Several group members reported an officer displaying an obscene gesture twice as he drove past them. Information from witnesses led police to identify Doherty.

"While Doherty stated that he did not know what the demonstration was about, he acknowledged his actions were inappropriate and unprofessional," Hosac wrote in a press release.

Police Chief George Gascón said the department is required to respect the Constitutional rights of everyone, saying, "there is no justifiable reason for this type of behavior."

Police said disciplinary action against Doherty is pending but did not elaborate.

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/ar ... -on-CP.htm
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Free speech violated ...where is the ACLU now~
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    He was stupid in what he did.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IF HE WASNT IN UNIFORM AND A PATROL CAR AT THE TIME. WHEN IN UNIFORM IT IS UNPROFESSIONAL TO LET EMOTION GET THE BEST OF YOU. I THINK HE DID THIS WITHOUT THINKING.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Since when is it illegal to flip the bird at illegals?

ITS NOT ILLEGAL AS FAR AS I KNOW.

I understand it was unprofessional while he was in uniform but maybe the sheer frustration of having to deal with the added burden of learning a new language to keep his job,seeing them not show up in court for crimes they commit and the complete disregard they have for law enforcement just got the better of him.
    I say- while I know it was wrong- lets cut the officer some slack.

Head 'em up,move 'em out Rawhide!

Re: Officer makes obscene gesture at pro-immigrant protester

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    Police Chief George Gascón said the department is required to respect the Constitutional rights of everyone, saying, "there is no justifiable reason for this type of behavior.
    Yet, the illegals can spit at American demonstrators, with no consequence. At least Officer Doherty showed some Patriotism and threw the PC out the window. We need more officers to step up. He's my Hero. He is a good American, showing his disdain for colonizing invaders who shouldn't be here but his boss says they have to respect "their rights'.

Uhhhh, Chief Gascon, if they are illegal, they have no rights.

What happen to his freedom of speech? or are they the only one with that constitutional right?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "RED ALERT ACTIVISTS"!!
    LETS STOP THE TRUCKS FROM MEXICO they roll Thursday!

Instructions and
    Post comments here
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=81329
    ACTION ALERT REQUESTS!!
    HR1940 "BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP"
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=81156
    Please activists leave comments,at below link
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=79828
    ALIPAC AUGUST FUND RAISER
    PLEASE help ALIPAC keep the fight up"all donations welcome"extended to 9/11
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=75673
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide
    I understand it was unprofessional while he was in uniform but maybe the sheer frustration of having to deal with the added burden of learning a new language to keep his job,seeing them not show up in court for crimes they commit and the complete disregard they have for law enforcement just got the better of him.
    I say- while I know it was wrong- lets cut the officer some slack.

I agree. We are all reaching a breaking point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast