Local family being deported

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 04:54 AM PST

Updated: Nov 17, 2008 05:47 AM PST

By Jill Eichorn

AMELIA, OH (FOX19) - He escaped from the mafia in Communist Bulgaria with nothing but his wife and two daughters, and he began living the American dream in Amelia, Ohio.

But a paperwork problem's sending him on the run again.

When you hear the words 'illegal aliens' you might think of people who snuck into this country and don't pay taxes. But an Amelia family who has lived as Americans for more than a decade, whose kids went to Turpin High School - one of them even graduated from Xavier University - is being kicked out of the country this week.

George Dombov was a wealthy businessman in Bulgaria in the 90s.

He owned a fancy restaurant and nightclub, had several houses and bodyguards for his family - a necessity when the Mafia moved in.

"They tried to kidnap another daughter," said Dombov. "We were stranded. It was impossible to stay there any longer."

So George and his family sought asylum in the U.S.

Speaking no English, George got social security cards for his family, got a work permit, became a licensed plumber and paid his taxes.

He applied for citizenship but says the language barrier caused a misrepresentation in the paperwork.

Then in February, Homeland Security showed up on his doorstep, arrested him, his wife who has multiple sclerosis, and both of his daughters.

Both his girls have been married to American men for several years.

"We're good citizens and I don't understand why they want good citizens to get out who contribute to the country," said Mariana Webb. "I just don't understand that."

"Now everything is yanked from under me," said Mariana's husband, Mike. "They're taking my wife for no particular reason which does nobody any good."

Without Mariana's income, the Webbs say they'll likely lose their home.

"I can understand illegal immigrants that don't pay taxes and use the system to their benefit," said Marian. "We're protective citizens of the society."

Just a few years ago, George built his perfect home by hand, one more dream he's set to lose.

"Tried to start here again from zero," he said. "And I think I make the American dream - build a house, and now I need to walk away from the house like I had to do 15 years ago."

Congresswoman Jean Schmidt's office said there isn't much they can do about deportation cases once it's moved from the federal to judicial levels.

http://www.wxix.com/Global/story.asp?S=9361449