Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Only Trump understands how angry the average American is

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Only Trump understands how angry the average American is

http://nypost.com/2015/09/26/only-tr...e-american-is/

Only Trump understands how angry the average American is

By Kyle Smith

September 26, 2015 | 3:25pm

I never thought Donald Trump would run for president. If he did run, I didn’t think he would gain any support, and if he did gain any support, I didn’t think it would last. I thought all polls would show him being crushed by Hillary Clinton.

Fall is upon us, and Trump is leading in Iowa, leading in New Hampshire, leading all Republicans nationally. He has roughly double the combined support of Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio.

In a general election match up against Hillary Clinton, he’s only 2.8 points behind, according to a RealClearPolitics polling average late last week, and doing about the same as Bush and Rubio.

I don’t have much skull left in the spot where I’ve been scratching my head because, as a conservative, I fail to see how Trump is anything but a flaming liberal compared to Bush, Rubio and every other Republican candidate.

As a patriot, I’m shocked that Trump got away with slandering John McCain for his Vietnam ordeal. As a person who has a face, I can’t believe he stooped to attacking Carly Fiorina’s.

So this time I’ll try something different: imagining what it’s like to be a Trump supporter. What’s the appeal?

I think I can answer in one word: Stones. Cojones. His buildings aren’t the only things he owns that are thickly layered in brass (and, probably, emblazoned with the Trump logo.)

There seems to be a large contingent of Americans who aren’t particularly interested in Trump’s vague policy prescriptions.

Try to get Donald to talk specifics and you get a level of analysis much like that of Ox, whose senseless history report in “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” drew raucous applause by devolving into micro-tribalism: “Everything is different, but the same…things are more moderner than before…bigger, and yet smaller…it’s computers…San Dimas High School football rules!”

Substitute in “American industry rules!” and you’ve more or less got a Trump “speech,” or rather riff, since he keeps winging it.

“Imagine what it’s like to be a Trump supporter. What’s the appeal?”

Here is how the man responded to a question about God. “Well, I say God is the ultimate. You know, you look at this? Here we are on the Pacific Ocean. How did I ever own this? I bought it 15 years ago. I made one of the great deals, they say, ever. I have no more mortgage on it, as I will certify and represent to you. And I was able to buy this and make a great deal. That’s what I want to do for the country: Make great deals. We have to, we have to bring it back. But God is the ultimate.”

Trump supporters frequently mention that they love his political incorrectness. Trump says things you just can’t say anymore. No. 1 on that list has to do with immigration.

Even to hint that mass legalization of illegal immigrants will encourage more lawbreakers, while exerting downward pressure on the wages and job opportunities of working-class Americans, is labeled xenophobia or worse. Trump isn’t afraid to say this, and say it loudly.

But Trump isn’t a single-issue candidate. Immigration, trade, health care — they’re all part of an overall vision of America. America today is sagging, flaccid, impotent. He’s got just what it takes to make America stand up straight and tall.

Can this be accomplished by wearing a truck-stop foam baseball cap that says “Make America Great Again”? I have my doubts. But he’s the only candidate on either side of the aisle who even seems to care about American greatness.

Seventy-two percent of Americans think the country isn’t as great as it once was, and the other candidates all seem to be chatting in the bar car as the national choo-choo slides off the rails and heads for the canyon. Only one man is screaming and waving his arms.

Trump’s complete lack of preparation for our highest office isn’t registering to his supporters: Every moment that looks clownish to someone versed in policy looks refreshingly unscripted to Trump fans.

It isn’t the details that they want to hear about, it’s the attitude — aggressive, confident, tough, bold. He screams leader, not wonk.

Next to Jeb Bush, who actually has political experience, conservative principles and specific policy solutions, all of which the Donald lacks, Trump looks like the varsity quarterback giving a noogie to the debate-club nerd.

You can’t begin to fix the problem until you admit that there is a problem, and what looks like grandstanding and content-free demagoguery to me looks to many citizens like an urgently needed passion.

The average American feels that the country has a sucking chest wound and everybody but Dr. Trump is telling him to treat it with a couple of aspirin.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I bet that Trump REALLY got the pulse on New York street reaction to 9/11. I bet he did---maybe that was the beginning of his awakening.

I hope I (we) are not being fooled. That is modus operandi of powerful people and obviously with his bankruptcies he managed to pull the wool over a lot of people's eyes.

But it looks like something happened with him. And at least the way he talks should get other people going. Trump is just the NY'er to end all NY'ers!!! If you've ever been there you would know.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    I bet that Trump REALLY got the pulse on New York street reaction to 9/11. I bet he did---maybe that was the beginning of his awakening.

I hope I (we) are not being fooled. That is modus operandi of powerful people and obviously with his bankruptcies he managed to pull the wool over a lot of people's eyes.

But it looks like something happened with him. And at least the way he talks should get other people going. Trump is just the NY'er to end all NY'ers!!! If you've ever been there you would know.
    Trump has always been this way. I heard him interviewed in the 80's and he was saying the same thing then as he's saying now. There's a fantastic interview of him by Oprah Winfrey in 1988, that Newmexican found and posted. Newmexican can you find that and post it here? You can take his statements then and compare them to now and you'll see, he's the same patriot today as he was then.

He's not trying to fool anyone. Trump doesn't need a job or a nicer home to live in, so he's not doing this to improve his life, he's doing this to improve ours. And unlike every other candidate in the race on both sides, he's the only one putting his own money where his mouth is.

No, he didn't pull the eyes over anyone with his "bankruptcies". These were not Chapter 7 bankruptcies where he walked away and left lenders hanging. They restructured the debt, bank debt, and no one else was involved, no shareholders, no public involvement, just Trump and his assets, and when they did the restructuring under Chapter 11, not Chapter 7, they reduce the interest rates, take a bunch of his assets which they did and to which he agreed to pay down the debt so the businesses could continue forward with lower debt obligations. The only person hurt by these Chapter 11 reorganizations was Trump. The beneficiaries were the lenders and the businesses which would include the employees. This was when interest rates were through the roof, and in commercial loans, there are no long term loans, they're short term, with variable interest rates that change with prime rates, and they have balloons, where the entire note can be called due rather than renewed, just because the lender wants to do so and sometimes market conditions don't allow for a refinance when the lenders decide to pull this stunt. But this isn't something you can easily explain to the public in a Debate in 1 minute. But Trump should try to do that for his next debate because people need to know the truth about this.

Also, Trump is the one who revitalized Times Square. Yes, I've been to New York many many times on business and remember when Times Square, Pre-Trump was close to a combat zone, a terrible place which after dark was full of drug dealers and hookers. Now major portions of that area are wonderful, and that was because of Donald Trump who was the first to make huge investments in that area as part of a revitalization program of that once wonderful Theater District.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I have started responding in Wal-Mart to line busters, etc, without attempting to being political correct. ( I guess I have, Roxie said to me quietly, "Pipe down, you're not in physical shape to fight or run.) I think those who have been pushy are "piping down" some or are at least less aggressive than they have been in 5 years. Thanks, Donald.

kyle Smith
    yes the usa is angry how our President obama is not doing his job all he care about is the illegal immigrants & all of the other country as well . & the hell with the usa I see every one kick trump down But you all don't kick obama down you all, kiss his ass .look at what obama doing
    I read & i also watch tv have you ever listen to savage station ? well he tell it like it is
    yes i want the wall up & a job also .& health care also. i also watch to day he was good
    the rest i would not vote for them at all .they all look like they are in another world
    & Bush . he should listen to him mom she told him not to run he is not fit to be President at all .they all,look like they are all in another world . but trump he was on the ball
    any one can fix our country
    good luck trump