Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Orange County OKs use of jails to hold immigrants

Orange County OKs use of jails to hold immigrants
    The Associated Press • July 20, 2010

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — Orange County jails will house hundreds of detained immigrants under a new deal with the federal government that could bring the cash-strapped Sheriff's Department $30 million a year.

The county Board of Supervisors on Tuesday approved a plan to rent 838 jail beds to U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement.

They'll house immigrants who are awaiting deportation hearings.

The beds are at Theo Lacy Jail in Orange and James A. Musick facility in Irvine.

The city of Orange, which has raised concerns about the deal, will consider the issue next week.

The money will help the Sheriff's Department deal with a projected $65-million shortfall in next year's budget.

As part of the agreement, the department will renovate the prisons, at a cost of around $6 million.

http://www.thecalifornian.com/article/2 ... immigrants

Note the use of the term "immigrants" for illegal aliens in the article. This has crept into the common language and confuses the issue, deliberately I think. Now, when someone says they are for immigration, the frame includes illegal aliens.

[edited]

Please join me in correcting such language where you encounter it! Here is my letter to the editor:

Regarding your article, "Orange County OKs use of jails to hold immigrants." If these are suspected illegal aliens, then I suggest that wording is more accurate. We do not jail actual immigrants for entering the country illegally because, by definition, immigrants are here legally.
    “Claiming nobody is listening to your phone calls is irrelevant – computers do and they are not being destroyed afterwards. Why build a storage facility for stuff nobody listens to?.” Martin Armstrong