Quote Originally Posted by Floorguy
I moved to Austin in 1969 at 6 years old, as an Air Force brat, with dad stationed at Bergstrom AFB.
I have watched Austin change so much over the last 40 years.

The biggest change being after 1986. By 1990 illegals started invading my trade. By 1995 it was more profitable for the company I worked for to send out the illegals to slap it in as fast as they could, and send me back around to try and fix the mess. Soon I was too costly, even with stagnant wages for the last 10 years, and I was asked to do some pretty unethical things, so I left, to go out on my own in 2001. I did way better financially out fighting for my own clients.

2007 it became evident for me to stay competitive, I would have to hire illegals and run many crews to make what I need to live off of.

I have bid stuff lower than I was working for in 1985, and still get told I'm too high priced. Now come on... Seriously How can I compete??

I am seriously thinking of packing up and leaving to Oklahoma, or Colorado, Leaving Sanctuary City Austin, where I grew up, got married, had children and loved for 40 years.
Well stay outta Colorado. I just left there last January, as I couldn't compete with you know who either. With tools and materials ($60.00 for a bottle of refrigerent went to $300.00 in a few months) skyrocketing, and then gas prices on top of it, and shops and insurance companies telling me I was too expensive with a 20 dollar increase to try to cover my increases, well, if I didn't have to pay taxes and insurance, I too could have done every service to the cars for 50 bucks too. But how long would it have taken for the government to shut me down, and probably toss me down a hole so deep, you'ld have to pipe sunlight to me?

Besides, Denver is another sanctuary city along with Greely, The People's Democratic Republic of Boulder, and other frontrange towns.