Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

PA: VFW phones say don't call if you don't speak English!

Thursday, August 14, 2008
    THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE
    WorldNetDaily
    'If you do not speak English, please hang up'
    Telemarketers told to believe in America or don't call
    Posted: August 12, 2008
    9:25 pm Eastern

WorldNetDaily

Courtesy WNEP-TV

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5642 in Montrose, Pa., has a message for the many telemarketers that call its answering machine: Speak English.

Those who call the post when no one's around to answer the telephone will be greeted by a pleasant, female voice on the answering machine saying, "Hi, you've reached the Montrose VFW, Post 5642. We are an English-speaking, American establishment. If you do not speak English or believe in America, please hang up."

The one-story, white VFW post is a popular gathering point for veterans along Pennsylvania's Route 706, according to a WNEP-TV report. According to its post commander, the VFW's phone number is also a popular target of telemarketers, many of whom speak in broken English.

"We are living in America," Post Commander John Miner told WNEP. "We should be able to speak English."

Some in the community have called that message racist and unconstitutional.

Miner, however, says the post has used the message for several months without complaint. He has no intention of changing it.

"So you're sticking to your guns?" a WNEP reporter asked him.

Miner answered, "We're veterans."

(Story continues below)

Reporters from WNEP sought community reaction to the message.

Teresa Artohofer of Montrose said the VFW post's message contradicts the Constitution's protection of free speech.

"Does it say English speech? It just says freedom of speech. No where in there does it say freedom of English speech. It just says, freedom of speech," Arthofer said.

Helen Warner told WNEP that if her grandparents had to learn English to live in America, modern immigrants should too.

"What do I think? I agree. If you're going to be in America, speak English," Warner said.

The VFW, whose website claims the group includes 2.2 million members in approximately 8,100 posts worldwide, was chartered by Congress in 1936 but remains a non-profit organization funded by individual contributions and is not a government entity.

Ten years ago the VFW passed Resolution 303, to "urge Congress to enact legislation mandating English as the official language" of the United States.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?pageId=72176

MOD EDIT Links at bottom please. Thanks

ELE

Englsh is the language of our country!

God Bless the VFW! I wish all American businesses did the same thing
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm sending this to our local chapter. The American Legion for the first time in history has taken a stance on a political issue. That issue is illegal immigration. The have a beautiful new pamphlet written up.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope this gets nationwide distribution, and that vets who have served this country honorably don't have to even press any button on the phone for English.
    What is next? Press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish, 3 for German, 4 for Russian, 5 for Chinese, 6 for Urdu, 7 for Arabic, 8 for Italian, 9 for French, star for Swedish, etc.

Yeah!!!!!

I THINK I WILL CALL TO JUST HEAR IT; SO PROUD OF THEM, AMERICANS

Gaz
    Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........I'm here in fuquay-varina. NC and there is a new VFW bldg going up.I drive by every day an see illegals working every one here does a great gob and i just wanted to thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz
    Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........I'm here in fuquay-varina. NC and there is a new VFW bldg going up.I drive by every day an see illegals working every one here does a great gob and i just wanted to thank you all!
    Thanks Gaz and welcome to Alipac. Maybe you should take the number and name of the company, and business license if there is one, pictures, and call ICE.

Gaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Thanks Gaz and welcome to Alipac. Maybe you should take the number and name of the company, and business license if there is one, pictures, and call ICE.

I work for a large utility COand i'm on about 50 job sites a day...could take a hole lot of numbers and names!!!....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo

I work for a large utility COand i'm on about 50 job sites a day...could take a hole lot of numbers and names!!!....lol
    Go for it. Get a video camera, digital and journal. LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast