Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Patty Compean wants heart 2 heart talk wtih Bush

Compean's wife wants heart-to-heart with Bush
    'I can't change anybody's mind, but I would like that opportunity'
    Posted: December 30, 2008
    10:25 pm Eastern

By Chelsea Schilling
    © 2009 WorldNetDaily

Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean

While another year passes without a presidential pardon for Jose Compean and Ignacio Ramos, the families are reaching out for an 11th-hour act of compassion.

Jose Compean's wife, Patty, told WND she will not resent George W. Bush if he leaves office without granting her husband freedom, but she would like to have a heart-to-heart moment with the president.

"I would just sit down, introduce myself and listen to him to see where he's coming from and what his point of view is," she said. "Then I'd ask for him to give me the same courtesy. He'd get to see where we're coming from, and I'd get to see where he's coming from. I can't change anybody's mind, but I would like that opportunity."

Sign WND's petition urging President Bush to free U.S. Border Patrol Agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean.

While many people might expect her to be angry with President Bush's silence, Patty has chosen not to take that position.

"I can't judge the man because I'm not in his shoes," she said with sincerity. "He's doing what he thinks is right at the moment. He's going to deal with the consequences, not me."

Her calm outlook might be shocking to some people, especially since her children are growing up without a father while the president has pardoned or commuted sentences for 36 drug dealers, 12 thieves, seven embezzlers, an arsonist, an armed bank robber and an illegal-alien smuggler.

Life without Dad

Jose and Patty's youngest son, David Antonio, has never experienced life with a father, and the other children have been devastated by his imprisonment.

Patty Compean (left), Monica Ramos (right). Boys on wives' laps are Compean's sons Eric Alonso and David Antonio. Boys in back are Ramos' sons, Aaron and Ryan. Ramos' son, Jacob, and Compean's daughter, Anna Belle, are in front. (photo: Ramos, Compean families)

"Our 2-year-old has never really known Jose, so he can't really miss him," she said. "It sounds horrible, but it's true."

Patty said the bond between father and son is simply not there, as David Antonio was only three months old when his father was incarcerated.

"To him, he's just a guy we go visit. He knows it's dad because I show him pictures and say, 'That's your dad.' He's spoken to us on the phone, and I say, 'That's your dad.'"

She continued, "But he also knows that a dog is a dog and a cat is a cat."

Their oldest son, Eric Alonso, now 4, simply looked confused and stared at the wall when his father went away. But Jose's imprisonment is something his daughter, Anna Belle, 14, copes with on a daily basis.

"Since the beginning, she's been trying to hold it in," Patty said. "She tries to hide it, keep it all inside and not let me see what's going on."

While Anna Belle was running errands with her aunt last week, Aerosmith's hit song, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing," played on the car radio.

She broke down, crying.

"That's the one that always gets her when she thinks about her dad," Patty said. "That was playing and she was remembering when he turned himself in. She remembered every single detail."

(Story continues below)

Precious minutes together

Their visits are limited because Jose is in solitary confinement in Lisbon, Ohio – approximately 1,815 miles away from his El Paso home.

Traveling is difficult for the family because it requires money and a flexible school schedule.

"Last year, I was able to see him three times, and the kids went to see him twice," Patty said. "It's two plane rides if you're lucky. If not, it's three.

"It gets to be a lot," she said, "especially with the two-hour time change, being away from their surroundings and cooped up in a prison with somebody they really don't know."

Elkton Federal Correctional Institution in Ohio

Jose is only allowed to call once each month, and he's given only 15 precious minutes – time that is usually split four ways.

"It's not much. We have to take it when we get it at this point. Beggars can't be choosers, I guess," she laughed nervously.

But without a father and husband in their lives, the Compean family still manages to keep hope, even after another holiday season.

"Personally, I feel a lot stronger now and a lot more focused than I did last year," Patty said with confidence. "Last year was just a mess. Being the first year, I had no idea which way was up and which way was down.

"This year I am much more focused, and so is Jose. The wound is not as fresh."

Keeping the faith

The Compean family remains optimistic that Bush might consider a pardon as a last-minute surprise before Inauguration Day.

"There's always hope," Patty said. "That's what keeps us going. To me, there's always a possibility that the president will do it."

Asked if Jose ever gets discouraged about that possibility, she said, "Yeah, he could be. He was telling me, 'You know, I didn't expect Bush to do anything for us, so I'm not surprised.'"

But that's when the family's faith takes over.

"You have to believe that God has a plan. He will not throw something at you that you cannot handle," she said. "This will make us stronger. We can either react by growing angry and resentful or we can turn this into a positive thing and perhaps even help others. It is just the way you look at it."

In the meantime, Patty said her children need their mother, and Jose needs her to be clear minded, strong and focused.

"We're doing everything we can – everything," she said. "I know I'm not going to quit until it's over. As far as I'm concerned, it's not going to be over until he comes home."

Send a FedEx letter to the president asking him to help Ramos and Compean.

And sign WND's petition urging President Bush to free U.S. Border Patrol Agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=84946

Unoccupied Southeast Georgia But Not For Much Longer
    My heart goes out to these brave agents and their families. We must keep them in our thoughts and prayers. Bush won't do anything so we must concentrate on Obama and convince him to do the right thing.
    There is no freedom without the law. Remember our veterans whose sacrifices allow us to live in freedom.

Banned
    Boy would I like a Heart to Heart with this and a few other Presidents .
    She and the families have paid dearly for her ticket to the White House to speak with Bush , I pray for them .

Admire Patty Compean....she's a strong woman with a lot of class.

We can hope and pray this injustice will be righted soon.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Bush owes this much to her.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

www.khow.com
    Peter Boyles is all over this on January 2. even came back a day early from vacation.

I Am guessing that most talk shows that support these guys will be doing alot of talking on this between now and the 20th.

We have to call, write and do everything between now and the 16th which is a friday, with the 17th and 18th being the weekend, and 19th being MLK day and federal offices closed, the white house comment line also will be closed. and on the 20th it will be just too late

I am convinced that Bush ordered the 'witch hunt' against Ramos and Compean at the demand of the mexican government.

It is insulting that Bush met with left-wing nutcase Cindy Sheehan, but is ignoring Patty Compean.

I voted for Bush both times, but I have lost all respect for him over the Ramos, Compean and the rest of the border issues.
    I didn't leave the Republican Party. The party left me. Inspired by Ronald Reagan

while listening to peter boyles a couple of callers said they saw something on CNN on new years night that was a big report on these two guys.
    does Anyone have any info on this?

April
    Bush knows he is in the wrong, I am sure he will do all he can to avoid meeting with her. He cares nothing about doing the right thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VisjrZXa ... re=related

Look at this.
    Judge says bush will not pardon the agents cuz bush thinks they are
    GUILTY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast