Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Police: Wal-Mart site raided AGAIN! 125 illegal aliens arre

Police: Wal-Mart site raided 125 illegal aliens arrested

About 125 arrested on immigration violations at Pennsylvania construction location.

Topics: illegal immigration, Wal-Mart, WalMart, arrests, illegal labor, laws, crimes, American Jobs Lost

CNN
    NOvermber 18, 2005

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - A raid by federal, state and local authorities at a Wal-Mart Stores construction site in Pennsylvania netted about 125 arrests for alleged immigration violations.

Schuylkill County Capt. Dennis Kane confirmed the raid to CNN. USA Today reported that the workers were working on a million-square-foot distribution center in Butler Township, in eastern Pennsylvania.

Kane said immigrants who were arrested were taken to nearby Philadelphia. The county police worked in conjunction with Pennsylvania state police and federal immigration agents, he said.

Wal-Mart (Research) officials told the newspaper those arrested were employees of a subcontractor and that the nation's largest retailer has contracts with subcontractors requiring that they follow all federal, state and local laws.

"We will cooperate fully with ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforce) and the U.S. attorney's office in this matter," Wal-Mart said in a statement to the paper.

But this is not the first time that Wal-Mart has been tarnished by a raid that found illegal immigrants working for its contractors. Two years ago raids at 61 Wal-Mart stores in 21 states resulted in the arrests of about 250 illegal immigrants working on cleaning crews.

USA Today reported Friday that a federal agency affidavit unsealed this month says two Wal-Mart executives knew about the practice of hiring illegal immigrants by the cleaning contractor. Wal-Mart has denied that executives knew about the workers, the newspaper said.

A critic of Wal-Mart said that this latest raid will be another blow to the bad public relations the company has been suffering from lately.

"They're trying to improve their public image ... but they're undermining their own attempts," Paul Blank, campaign director of Washington, D.C.-based WakeUpWalMart.com, told the paper. "There's clearly a pattern where they're violating the law."

The group is a project of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, which would like to represent workers at non-union Wal-Mart, the nation's largest private sector employer.

The company is the target of "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price," a new documentary film that is harshly critical of its employment practices and its impact on the U.S. economy.

Wal-Mart stock edged lower in afternoon New York Stock Exchange trading.

For more details on the 2003 raids that arrested illegal immigrants at Wal-Mart stores,

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/18/news/fo ... tm?cnn=yes
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

added to homepage

http://www.alipac.us/article-879-thread-1-0.html

PLEASE VOTE IN OUR NEW SURVEY.

Would You support a National Boycott of Wal-Mart for hiring illegal aliens?
    http://www.alipac.us/survey-35.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Personally I think Walmart ought to really be made an example of this time. Using the same tired old excuse "that we hired a subcontractor" is getting old.

They should have learned from the first time....how about a $250,000 dollar fine per illegal... and an actual lenghty jail sentence for those involved.

Just because they hire subcontractors that hires illegals doesn't mean they should be exempt. If I was running Walmart I would setup a department just to check out the subcontracters, and the all the workers that they hire to do the work to make sure NO illegals were subcontracted to Walmart, and that Walmart did not do businesss with subcontractors that did hire illegals.

Hey Walmart...I need a job, I am honest USA citizen, and can not be bribed....So I would make a good Subcontractor illegal alien checker Department Manager...LOL

Simple solution:

states should send a bill to WalMart for all the "public assistance" that their employees get from local and state agencies.... WalMart is assisting its employees to file for such assistance, whether full time or part time.

Then, expose the "front comapnies" that provide cheap (perhaps illegal) labor for janitorial and other services..
    conservative is but a liberal after a dose of reality...

Quote Originally Posted by Pokie
    Simple solution:
    states should send a bill to WalMart for all the "public assistance" that their employees get from local and state agencies.... WalMart is assisting its employees to file for such assistance, whether full time or part time.
    Then, expose the "front comapnies" that provide cheap (perhaps illegal) labor for janitorial and other services..
    I COULDNT AGREE MORE POKIE!!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well Well. I had forgot about this coming out about Wal-Mart. I think it might be good timing.

New Wal-Mart Movie Has Impact Here

Reported by: 9News
    Web produced by: Mark Sickmiller
    Photographed by: 9News
    First posted: 11/18/2005 6:23:49 PM
    Now playing in the Tri-state (and around the U.S.) -- a movie critical of retail giant Wal-Mart.

The movie is called "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices."

Local businessman Ken Bowman of Bowman Framing says he knows the effects of the retail giant might have on small businesses like his -- and the community as a whole.

"You're going to have empty storefronts all over the place. With all the effort that has recently been put into revamping the streetscapes here in Bellevue and in Newport, the idea in doing that is not to have empty storefronts and properties," Bowman told 9News.

There's word Wal-Mart might build in the Newport Pavilion development in the city's Cote-Brilliante neighborhood.

The Southgate House in Newport was showing the movie at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. Friday.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

It's not just Wal-Mart. It's everybody. Federal government who hires subs to work on military bases, state governments who hire contractors to build highways, cleaning services, landscapers, etc. I remember questioning the president of a community college about all the hispanics who were working on construction there. He said something like he didn't worry about whether they were legal because they worked for contractors.

I think ALL employers who hire contractors/subcontractors should be responsible for checking legal status of everyone who works on the job.

Walmart Illegals

HadEnuf, you hit the nail on the head. I just don't hold Walmart accountable this time. The contractors need to be punished, they are the ones that are charging a standard price for their services and making more due to LOW COST labor. They do not pass that savings on to you. Here in Miami we have BIG contruction going on in every direction and I would bet that well over half of the workers are illegals.

I would also bet that if you ask the crew boss he would tell you "hell, no body else will do this hard work in America". We have a big problem on our hands but if you ask me, there is a bigger underlining problem which is OUR YOUTH WILL NOT WORK. Don't tell me they will, because I certainly have not see the evidence.

PS I am off to Bogota Colombia for 10 days, I will try to return in one piece.

Scott

Police: Wal-Mart site raided AGAIN! 125 illegal aliens arre

I think it would be grand if walmart could be fined for the illegals. Unfortunately it is the subcontractors responsibility ultimately. I am a contractor in California, I wish that the immigration and federal agents would come and raid the construction projects around here. They drive down the cost of my services, they work Contract without a license. I am sick about it! I would really like to move to Idaho or somewhere!