Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Prominent Palm Beach restaurant manager faces risk of deportation

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Prominent Palm Beach restaurant manager faces risk of deportation

Prominent Palm Beach restaurant manager faces risk of deportation

1:09 p.m. Friday, July 07, 2017

PALM BEACH — A prominent Palm Beach restaurant manager with no criminal record, a U.S. citizen spouse and three U.S. born children could be deported next week under President Donald Trump’s new immigration policy — a situation that has led to an online petition that has drawn more than 1,600 signatures in a 24 hour period.

Francisco Javier Gonzalez, the general manager of the Pizza Al Fresco restaurant, was born in Mexico and is known in the community by his middle name, Javier. He is scheduled to check-in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers in Broward County on July 14 — a date he fears could alter the life he has built in America.

Until this year, the annual check-in has been little more than a routine measure for Gonzalez. But under Trump’s expanded immigration policy, the once routine check-ins have become high stakes for immigrants like Gonzalez living in the United States.

“The last time, it was simple,” Gonzalez said. “This time, my lawyer is concerned. A lot of people have been detained who have my same problem.”

Gonzalez, 36, has lived in Palm Beach County for two decades, and spent the last nine years working at the landmark restaurant on Palm Beach’s Worth Avenue. Gonzalez has served many Palm Beach socialites and local celebrities, including the likes of Trump’s family, according to Richard Hujber, a Boynton Beach immigration attorney who is representing Gonzalez.

“A lot of the Palm Beach elite are his customers,” Hujber said. “This is a guy who is really well known and really well regarded. Everyone loves him. He is such a bright personality and a happy go lucky guy who treats everyone so well.”

Gonzalez came to Palm Beach County when he was 15 years old to live with his brother using what he thought was a valid visa.

After graduating high school, he returned to Mexico in 2001 to visit his parents. When he came back to South Florida, Gonzalez was told at the airport that the visa was not valid. He was deported and issued an “expedited order of removal,” which banned him from returning to the U.S. for a 5-year period, Hujber said. Gonzalez returned to the U.S. illegally within the time frame, Hujber said.

“When he came back again, that is the problem,” Hujber said. “That is what makes this case more difficult.”

In an emailed statement Friday, ICE pointed to Gonzalez’s 2001 deportation, saying those in violation of U.S. immigration laws are subject to detention and deportation.

“Francisco Javier Gonzalez was removed from the country 0n December 14, 2001 and subsequently re-entered the country illegally,” ICE said. “As Secretary Kelly has made clear, ICE will no longer exempt classes or categories of removable aliens from potential enforcement. All of those in violation of the immigration laws may be subject to immigration arrest, detention and, if found removable by final order, removal from the United States.”

Gonzalez married his wife, Tara, a U.S. citizen in 2006. He started working at Pizza Al Fresco, a well-known restaurant on Palm Beach, about in 2009. The couple has three daughters ages, 5, 7, and 10.

They live in West Palm Beach.

Gonzalez said he began looking for an immigration lawyer to take his case shortly after he got married. Since then, Gonzalez has obtained permits allowing him to work legally.

But after nearly a decade, he is still waiting for a waiver that would provide more permanent status ahead of obtaining a green card, which would give him legal permanent residency.

In advance of the July 14 check-in, Hujber, posted a petition on Change.org, in an effort to raise awareness about the case. As of Friday afternoon, the petition had 1,625 signatures.

Jose Duran, general manager of Renato’s, Pizza Al Fresco and Al Fresco at the Palm Beach Par 3, said Gonzalez is “the most reliable human being we’ve ever had work for us.”
    Gonzalez started at the restaurant as waiter and quickly worked his way up, Duran said.

“The bottom line is he truly cares about the people that come to Pizza Al Fresco,” Duran said. “He makes you feel at home and genuinely cares that you have a nice time and that everything goes well.

He’s been a huge part of the restaurant’s success. To lose him would mean sadness for everyone who has anything to do with Pizza Al Fresco. I can’t fathom it happening. It would be devastating.”

Gonzalez said he is hopeful immigration officials will take the petition into consideration. “I think I’m going to be okay,” he said.

But Gonzalez said he is always concerned when he travels to Miami for his annual check-ins. “I am always afraid when I go in there, but I always have hope and faith,” he said.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/busin...RKP7fNsWnzQvO/

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty
    by joining our E-mail Alerts athttp://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Go run successful restaurant on your soil. Take your family with you.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

He was deported and issued an “expedited order of removal,” which banned him from returning to the U.S. for a 5-year period, Hujber said. Gonzalez returned to the U.S. illegally within the time frame, Hujber said.

He knew damn well what he was doing was illegal when he jumped the border AGAIN. He KNEW he had an order of removal, his entire life here is one lie after another. That he married and started a family is NOT our problem. I have to wonder if his wife knew he was illegal?

In my opinion people that knowingly live a lie, and break the law many times over don't DESERVE to become a citizen. I don't care how well liked they are or how long they've lived here, if you don't respect our laws from day one you don't deserve anything from this Country!