Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Race tensions sometimes released at schools

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4503443

While law enforcement officials have stopped short of attributing the hour-and-a-half-long melee that involved roughly 500 students to a racial divide, many experts on ethnic relations contend that the riot is indicative of a much broader problem.

"The tension between blacks and Latinos is not new, but it's a recent phenomenon," said Armando Navarro, professor of ethnic studies at UC Riverside. "This has been the pattern in L.A. County in the past few years and now it's reached this area. From the late 1990s to present, this conflict has manifested in high schools and in prisons, and as demographics begin to favor Latinos, it'll foster more antagonism and increased violence."

Navarro, also coordinator for the National Alliance for Human Rights and author of "The Mexican Political Experience and Occupied Aztlan," said as the Latino population grows, other ethnic groups often feel their space, jobs and political representation are threatened.

Anti-immigration sentiments also add to the tensions in these communities and, subsequently, in schools, Navarro said.

"It's a growing contagion, and it's pervasive throughout the region," he said. "We shouldn't look at each other as enemies but people who have been oppressed and have to compete for the crumbs of power or progress."
    Scott Brooks, assistant professor of sociology at UC Riverside, said racial tensions often reflect the economy.

"If the economy is flourishing and people are doing better, we'd see less of this animosity," Brooks said. "When you live in a situation where the distribution of resources is limited, people feel they have to compete, and America is wedded to that idea.

"People see themselves attached to a larger movement and they see their group as losing out."

Blacks and Latinos, for instance, can feel they are in direct competition for jobs, Brooks said. As youths mimic adult tensions and hear about financial struggles at home, the racial divide can spill onto school campuses, he said.

Eloise Lopez Metcalfe, director of the Teacher Education Program at UCLA, said she was not familiar with the Fontana High situation. But, in general, she said when the first sparks of racial tension are not properly addressed, instances like Friday's riot can result.

"Racial tensions arise because school personnel ignore the need to attend to diversity. And because we're in a testing era, we're spending less time on working together in the community," Metcalfe said. "The politicians and the police don't help us, and it should be everyone's -- not just the school's -- domain."

Metcalfe also linked racial tensions between blacks and Latinos to a battle for what the groups believe are limited resources.

"Instead of thinking about how everyone can benefit, whoever is stronger gets to dominate," Metcalfe said. "These are long, historic tensions people think will just go away, and aren't going to go away. Historically, every time a new group moves in, others perceive them taking their resources and the new group gets pushed back."

Metcalfe said all facets of communities -- from parents and organizations to the city council and the police -- need to be involved to diffuse such tensions and look at maximum opportunities for every group.

Carolyn Bennett Murray, professor of psychology at UC Riverside, said student unrest that involves 500 individuals shouldn't come as a surprise.

"Way before this happens, there are indications this is going to happen. And instead of sitting down and bringing experts in on relationships and having students talk about the issues and why they are so negative toward each other, (school officials) act like nothing happens," Murray said.

According to Murray, both blacks and Latinos express their laments in a direct way, which may have played a part in Friday's escalation of violence.

"Both Latinos and African Americans are very upfront groups -- they'll confront another person or group if they feel they're treated unfairly," Murray said. "Whites and Asians tend to be more covert groups, where they won't confront you, but maybe they'll report you to authorities. So, part of it is the culture to be direct."

Murray said the reported participation of Samoan students presents another interesting dynamic. Although they have a distinct ethnic identity, she said Samoans are often mistaken for blacks. It was unclear, however, with which group the Samoan students are allied.

To combat racial conflicts and the fragmentation of a community, Murray recommended that school officials develop leadership groups to teach such skills to students, develop common projects and goals that the two groups can work on together, and confront the causes of conflicts.

Andrea Bennett can be reached at (909) 483-9347, or by e-mail at andrea.bennett@dailybulletin.com.

Related:
    Two adults, three juveniles arrested at Fohi brawl
    Police subdue 500 fighting Fohi students

"It's a growing contagion, and it's pervasive throughout the region," he said. "We shouldn't look at each other as enemies but people who have been oppressed and have to compete for the crumbs of power or progress."
    And you wonder why there is a problem?
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Blacks should not have to compete for anything against an illegal alien, we deserve a piece of the American pie, because we are Legal Citizens,and we have earned our place.

We have already paid our dues in this country, through years of struggling, oppression and honest hard work. Yet we as Blacks still have to fight to keep our rightful place concerning jobs, education, and our neighborhoods from these illegal aliens.

The Republicans never have had much use for the Black voter.
    And it used to be a time the Democrats counted on and jockeyed for the Black votes, but now, thanks to the illegal invasion the Dems hardly give us Blacks second thought!

I feel abandonded by my so called party,and I am very angry,,,,,trust me when I say, I won't forget come November 06, or in 2008!

added to homepage with note

ALIPAC Note: These riots would not be happening if our existing immigration laws were enforced and our border secured. Again the illegals are attacking black Americans. These riots are smaller than the school riot in LA last year that involved over 1,000 students. These schools are packed with illegal aliens and anchor babies.

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... e&sid=1598
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    ConcernedCitizen wrote:

Blacks should not have to compete for anything against an illegal alien, we deserve a piece of the American pie, because we are Legal Citizens,and we have earned our place.
    I agree 100%. Any American, regardless of race, should not have to compete with an illegal immigrant.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

African Americans! YES/ Illegals No Rights!

Quote Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen

We have already paid our dues in this country, through years of struggling, oppression and honest hard work. Yet we as Blacks still have to fight to keep our rightful place concerning jobs, education, and our neighborhoods from these illegal aliens.

The Republicans never have had much use for the Black voter.
    And it used to be a time the Democrats counted on and jockeyed for the Black votes, but now, thanks to the illegal invasion the Dems hardly give us Blacks second thought!

I feel abandonded by my so called party,and I am very angry,,,,,trust me when I say, I won't forget come November 06, or in 2008!
    10-4 African Americans have earned thier spurs many times over! I support Black US Citizens 100% over Illegals! Illegals have no rights or claims,they are ILLEGALS!

Pro Patria!
    ************* PRO DEO &*PATRIA!********

The sad thing is that the NAACP supports the illegal alieans. I guess they're just like everyone else. Just looking for more members which means more money ergo more power.

Racial tensions arise because school personnel ignore the need to attend to diversity. And because we're in a testing era, we're spending less time on working together in the community," Metcalfe said. "The politicians and the police don't help us, and it should be everyone's -- not just the school's -- domain
    What?!!! In the People's Republic of California there are those who do not attend to diversity? What a joke.

These two communities are being polarized and made to believe that "whitey" is always the devil. Nevermind the fact that is just what there "leaders" want. Keep us divided and they will keep their corruption machine going strong.

D.W.
    D.W.