Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rally Draws Thousands of Immigrants to Capitol

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01229.html

Where is it going to be the day for the American Citizens to get off their lazy butts and protest against this immigration bill insanity?

Rally Draws Thousands of Immigrants to Capitol
    As Senate Debates Complex Bill, Some Cite Simple Rights

Waving tiny American flags, a crowd of several thousand people -- almost all of Central American or Mexican origin -- rallied yesterday at the U.S. Capitol on a humid afternoon to call for immigration reform and demand a fair path to legalization for the country's 10 million illegal immigrants.

Although the peaceful gathering on the West Lawn was organized to give immigrants a voice in the current debate on a complex Senate immigration reform bill, the message of many speeches from the stage and comments in the crowd was a simpler, more universal appeal for respect and rights.

"We want people to know we did not come here to steal jobs from Americans. We came to work hard and make a life for our children," said Jose Rosa, 37, a father of six from El Salvador who waits tables at a Fairfax restaurant. "Back home there is no way I can support my family on $3 a day. Their future is here."

"We are cleaners, construction workers, restaurant workers. . . . We are also doctors, lawyers, soldiers who defend our country," Jaime Contreras, president of the National Capital Immigration Coalition, shouted from a loudspeaker on the stage, as cheers rose from the crowd. "We are workers, not criminals!"

When it came to addressing the bill before Congress, the coalition -- composed of area churches, labor unions and immigrant advocate groups -- had a more complicated message that was lost on some of the rally participants. Although the groups generally support immigration reform, they are critical of many aspects of the bill.

Yesterday, the coalition distributed fliers saying the bill, the result of arduous negotiations between the Bush administration and a bipartisan Senate group, had "deeply problematic" aspects. They said that the process for legalizing illegal immigrants was far too costly and would unfairly separate families and that the proposal for an expanded temporary "guest worker" program would condemn immigrants to "permanent servitude."

Because of the complexities, as well as the hot sun that drove many people under shady trees on the far edges of the lawn, it was not easy for rally leaders to get a strong chant-and-response going. Speakers repeatedly shouted, "What do we want?" But it was not always clear what answer they expected. People gamely mumbled a variety of responses, including "Work!" and "Legalization!"

According to some organizers at the rally, it was also difficult to persuade people to attend because of a widespread mistaken belief among local immigrants that the bill had already passed or was a fait accompli. Coalition leaders had hoped to draw tens of thousands, but by mid-afternoon there were only several thousand people on the lawn.

The Senate proposal, which also calls for increased border controls, a crackdown on firms that employ illegal workers and a shift from family-oriented to skill-oriented legal immigration, has survived two weeks of often rancorous debate and several amendments that could have killed it. The measure will be taken up again when Congress returns from a brief recess next week.

Although not always familiar with such details, many immigrants in the crowd offered clear opinions about why they believe the government needs a workable legalization program, and they strongly disputed critics' claims that this would amount to amnesty for lawbreakers who had sneaked into the United States.

"We work hard, we pay taxes and we have kept a clean record, but we have absolutely no way to become legal," said Roberto, 28, a father of two from Guatemala who asked that his last name not be used. He and his family arrived early at the rally, and both children had red, white and blue flags painted on their faces.

"I would like to go home for my parents, but I must stay here for my children," Roberto explained. "We are not asking for any amnesty. We are asking for a chance to come out of the shadows and show we are good people. We want to work honorably, live peacefully and become integrated into this country."

Many families included members with varying legal standing. Some parents with temporary status in the country from past amnesties had children who are U.S. citizens; there also were couples in which one spouse is legal and the other is illegal. Ana Espinoza, 31, from El Salvador, came to the rally with her mother, who is a legal resident, and her two children, one of whom is a U.S. citizen and the other of whom is in the country illegally.

"We need legalization. I need legalization. We have to get all of this in order," said Espinoza, an office cleaner who has been here six years and owns a townhouse in Germantown.

"I like this country, because it has good rules and rights," she said. "If we had to leave, we would lose our home. We would lose everything we have worked for."

Leonardo Gonzalez, 50, a Mexican immigrant who came with a church group from Baltimore, said he prayed for legalization because it would give him the courage to ask for a raise. "I earn $9 an hour remodeling rooms, and I send $200 home each month," he said. "I know my work is worth more than that, but until I become legal, I am worth nothing."
    [/b]
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

Doesn't sound like they "are in the shadows" to me!

BTW, I wonder how many of them are registered to vote??

One thing is for sure, we, as legal citizens VOTE!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

BTW, is any of that $200 Mr. Gonzalez sends home every month taxed?? Does he have kids in our public schools? Who pays for his health care??

And, the lady quoted in the story likes our country because it has "good rules" while her family members break those very rules and laws! Unbelievable.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    BTW, is any of that $200 Mr. Gonzalez sends home every month taxed?? Does he have kids in our public schools? Who pays for his health care??

And, the lady quoted in the story likes our country because it has "good rules" while her family members break those very rules and laws! Unbelievable.
    Excellent comments.

Nadys wrote:
    Where is it going to be the day for the American Citizens to get off their lazy butts and protest against this immigration bill insanity?
    I have wondered this for over two years. I don't see why all the anti-illegal immigration groups, and there are many, and the talk radio hosts that support us, couldn't have organized either one massive march or several marches in major cities. Can others give Nadys and I their thoughts?
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Quote Originally Posted by pjr40
    Nadys wrote:
    I have wondered this for over two years. I don't see why all the anti-illegal immigration groups, and there are many, and the talk radio hosts that support us, couldn't have organized either one massive march or several marches in major cities. Can others give Nadys and I their thoughts?
    We have jobs. Why do those who claim to be here to work have so much free time?

Look at the comments on this story - LOL!