Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Republicans in House vow to hold line on immigration

Republicans in House vow to hold line on immigration
    Any plan that permits a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants is unacceptable, they say.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs. ... 1/SPORTS01

By JANE NORMAN
    REGISTER WASHINGTON BUREAU
    May 9, 2007

Washington, D.C. — House Republican leaders on immigration, including Rep. Steve King of Iowa, warned Tuesday they will not accept "mass amnesty" for those in the United States illegally.

They noted that their remarks came on the same day that six people were arrested and charged in a connection with a plan to kill soldiers at Fort Dix in New Jersey. Three of those charged were in the country illegally, according to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court.

Members of the Senate are working with the White House to come to an immigration agreement, and a deal in the works would delay legal status for unauthorized immigrants until border security is beefed up.

It could then take up to 13 years for immigrants to gain legal status, and they would have to pay fines and return to their home nations, the Associated Press reported.

But King, the top Republican on a House Judiciary Committee subcommittee that handles immigration, and other Republicans at a news conference urged that senators reject any plan that would extend a path to citizenship for millions of unauthorized immigrants.

King regards amnesty as anything that would "pardon immigration lawbreakers and reward them with the objective of their crime," he said.

"If they are going to be for amnesty in the Senate, the public will get out their scarlet letter 'A' branding iron and brand them with an 'A' for amnesty," said King. "But they need to admit that (and) not argue that their proposal is not amnesty. The price for it is the pillar of American civilization, the rule of law."

Democrats and some Republicans, including President Bush, have argued that unauthorized immigrants should be given some way to become citizens.

this is great news!

Congressman STEVE KING!

From the actual moment that I met him, shook his hand and walked him down the hallway, I knew that he was truly a different type of elected official! His sincerity is powerful. That says a bucketful!!

He's passionate, soft spoken, warm......a gentle man who's heart for America shines through.

There is something about Steve King that is different than just about any other senator or congressman that I've ever met through the years.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Way to go Congressman King!

Democrats and some Republicans, including President Bush, have argued that unauthorized immigrants should be given some way to become citizens.
    When will the dems and reps who support amnesty wake up? There already is a way for citizenship, they just don't want to follow the rules!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Will any insane senate plan have to be approved by the Congress? Oh please, oh please tell me yes !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne
    Will any insane senate plan have to be approved by the Congress? Oh please, oh please tell me yes !!
    Yup.

Btw: Congress = both the senate and the house.

Diane, I think you meant the senate plan would have to go thru the House.

If legislation is to pass into law, it must go through both Houses thereby being approved by CONGRESS.

Thank goodness!!!
    As the senate is just about completely corrupt save a few.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[A bit oversimplified, but still useful I hope...]

And, as one of the good guys on our side pointed out last year, revenue raising provision must originate in the House ONLY. The Senate can not whip up laws whip create/invent/impose additional tax or fee measures - these [in theory] can only originate in the US House.

Diane,
    congress is made up of two houses, the Senate and the House of Represenatives!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    [A bit oversimplified, but still useful I hope...]

And, as one of the good guys on our side pointed out last year, revenue raising provision must originate in the House ONLY. The Senate can not whip up laws whip create/invent/impose additional tax or fee measures - these [in theory] can only originate in the US House.
    Righto, Phred

As we say.........."the HOUSE holds the PURSE STRINGS."

Let's HOLD THEIR FEET TO THE FIRE now!!!

Btw: Congress = both the senate and the house.

Diane, I think you meant the senate plan would have to go thru the House.

If legislation is to pass into law, it must go through both Houses thereby being approved by CONGRESS.

Yes I did !!! Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast