Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

School withholds diploma

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p...21/1001/Nation

School withholds diploma over bolo
    Student says tie expressed his heritage

By Stephen Manning
    Associated Press

COLLEGE PARK, MD. - School officials are withholding a 17-year-old boy’s diploma for wearing a bolo tie under his graduation gown.

Thomas Benya said he prefers the string bolo ties over traditional knotted ties to reflect his American Indian heritage.

But officials from Maurice J. McDonough High School in suburban Washington said they warned him beforehand that a bolo violated the dress code for the event, held Wednesday for about 250 students.

The bolo "was not considered by staff to be a tie," said Katie O’Malley-Simpson, a spokeswoman for Charles County schools. "We have many opportunities throughout the year to express cultural heritage. But we don’t do that at graduation."

Mr. Benya said he never thought his diploma was at stake, and wore a bolo anyway.

"I did not feel that I should change my heritage for an hour and a half to wear an actual tie to show respect when they aren’t showing respect to me," he said.

The spokeswoman said that the school will give Mr. Benya his diploma but that he has not set up a meeting to receive it.

The boy’s parents said they are considering legal action. His mother, Marsha Benya, cited the long history of Indians being "pushed around," and added: "If he had not stood up for himself, he would have been part of the problem of Native Americans being treated in this way."

!

I cannot believe they will allow illegal aliens to walk across the platform and pick up diplomas but this kid who is a Native American Indian CANNOT wear a bolo tie to pick his up?

They should be waiting at the end of the stage to pick up the illegals and deport them! With their high school education provided by the US government, they should be able to find jobs in their native countries!!

This is ludricrous!!!

Yes the redhead is hot and fighting mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should be glad I'm not his Mama! Believe me, it would not be purdy!!!!! Let the shouting commence!! By the time my Mother and I got through with that school and school board they'd be begging him to attend graduation!!!

Folks dont make redheads angry.....

The boy’s parents said they are considering legal action. His mother, Marsha Benya, cited the long history of Indians being "pushed around," and added: "If he had not stood up for himself, he would have been part of the problem of Native Americans being treated in this way."

They ought to take legal action and I hope they do.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)