Like Tree2Likes

Thread: SCOOP: House Repubs to Hold Immigration Bill Vote Next Week

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SCOOP: House Repubs to Hold Immigration Bill Vote Next Week

SCOOP: House Repubs to Hold Immigration Bill Vote Next Week

nationaljournal.com
    By Chris Frates
    September 14, 2012 | 10:53 a.m.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy gathered some of Washington's biggest tech players in McCarthy's conference room this morning to ask them to back an immigration bill they plan to bring to the floor next week, according to attendees in the room.

The legislation, sponsored by House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith, would create a new green card category for foreigners who have received doctorate degrees from U.S. universities in science, technology, engineering and math (the so-called STEM disciplines). Green cards not used by PhDs would be available to those with STEM master's degrees.

The idea that the government should "staple a green card to the diplomas" of foreign students who have earned an advanced degree at a U.S. university has been a favorite talking point of both Democrats and Republicans for years.

Next week's vote gives Republicans the chance to support a fairly non-controversial piece of immigration legislation on an issue where Democrats have tried to claim the high ground.

Congressional Democrats and the White House are urging companies not to support the bill, arguing they've not had enough time to review it, Republicans say.

"The fact of the matter is that politically, Democrats don't want to give a Republican Congress a win on immigration reform, especially when it comes to high-tech," said a GOP tech lobbyist who attended the meeting. "I think you're going to see anywhere from very strong letters of support to softer tones, 'Thank you for taking up this debate.' I think you're going to see a pretty considerable amount of support for it."

Tech companies have been clamoring for STEM visas for years. The move comes as the traditionally Democratic leaning tech industry has begun more aggressively building relationships with top Republicans and holding Silicon Valley fundraisers for them.

The K Streeters attending this morning's meeting include: Facebook's Joel Kaplan, ITIC's Andy Halataei and Ralph Hellmann, CEA's Veronica O'Connell, U.S. Chamber's Ron Eidshaug and Jeff Lungren, NAM's Joe Trauger, BSA's Katherine McGuire, Microsoft's Fred Humphries, Yahoo's Margaret Nagle, Cisco's Paul Redifer, Texas Instruments' Paula Collins, SIA's Patrick Wilson, Engine Advocacy's Ryan Triplette, Oracle's Jason Mahler, SIA's Patrick Wilson, Bloomberg's Carl Thorsen and Qualcomm's Alice Tornquist.

SCOOP: House Repubs to Hold Immigration Bill Vote Next Week - Influence Alley
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Interesting.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Interesting for sure, and a bit disturbing. While they campaign on job creation for Americans. Says more about campaign money to me than anyhing. I did not see on the list of atendees any recent college grads unemployed or other unemployed Americans with STEM degrees.

Mitt Romney’s immigration plan Immigration | Mitt Romney for President

The United States is projected to face a shortage of 230,000 science and technology workers by 2018. At the same time, we have set the caps on high-skill visas so low that, for some countries, an entire year’s quota has been filled in an hour. Mitt Romney will ask Congress to raise the caps on visas for highly skilled immigrants.

will prioritize efforts that strengthen legal immigration and make it more transparent and easier; will boost legal immigration. will make it easier for legal immigrants to bring their spouses and children to America
    Population Forums for Justice - View Single Post - Population http://bit.ly/hZYsN6

more non-citizens would be able to stay legally in the United States under Romney's plan because he would exempt from current numerical caps on green cards the spouses and minor children of green card holders.

will expand temporary work visas for low-skilled workers Forums for Justice - View Single Post - Visas - they work cheaper http://bit.ly/dHjTcW

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1 View Post
    Mitt Romney’s immigration plan Immigration | Mitt Romney for President

The United States is projected to face a shortage of 230,000 science and technology workers by 2018. At the same time, we have set the caps on high-skill visas so low that, for some countries, an entire year’s quota has been filled in an hour. Mitt Romney will ask Congress to raise the caps on visas for highly skilled immigrants.

will prioritize efforts that strengthen legal immigration and make it more transparent and easier; will boost legal immigration. will make it easier for legal immigrants to bring their spouses and children to America
    Population Forums for Justice - View Single Post - Population http://bit.ly/hZYsN6

more non-citizens would be able to stay legally in the United States under Romney's plan because he would exempt from current numerical caps on green cards the spouses and minor children of green card holders.

will expand temporary work visas for low-skilled workers Forums for Justice - View Single Post - Visas - they work cheaper http://bit.ly/dHjTcW

Just a thought, a thought to provoke thought or information. We canl't find 230,000 qualified HS grads or two year college students now interested in science and tech? Re-arrange our college subsidies to give the top intellectuals from those shools to subsidize them adequately to complete the required courses? I'd rather see education money spent this way than offering Pells to anyone that has a GED. Let's be more rewarding to students that prized education from the git-go. Controversial, maybe yes, maybe no. But what in life is'nt?

Just for example, I was truned down for an accounting job where I scored higher than 98% of college grads that applied. Reason given me, the year I graduated from HS the Board had directed Personel Dep't. (now called human resources) to only recruit those with college degrees. That was a slap in the face of all my teachers over 13 years of education. I always wonder how many that happened to or still does.

If we were truly taking care of our own first, then recruit elsewhere, OK, but I do not believe that we are correctly distributing education dollars.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinssdad View Post
    Just a thought, a thought to provoke thought or information. We canl't find 230,000 qualified HS grads or two year college students now interested in science and tech? Re-arrange our college subsidies to give the top intellectuals from those shools to subsidize them adequately to complete the required courses? I'd rather see education money spent this way than offering Pells to anyone that has a GED. Let's be more rewarding to students that prized education from the git-go. Controversial, maybe yes, maybe no. But what in life is'nt?

Just for example, I was truned down for an accounting job where I scored higher than 98% of college grads that applied. Reason given me, the year I graduated from HS the Board had directed Personel Dep't. (now called human resources) to only recruit those with college degrees. That was a slap in the face of all my teachers over 13 years of education. I always wonder how many that happened to or still does.

If we were truly taking care of our own first, then recruit elsewhere, OK, but I do not believe that we are correctly distributing education dollars.
    Amen! I have to admit that most of the knowledge I gained that has helped me in my career in the web industry I gained in the last few years in High School and not in the one year of college I subsequently dropped out of couple of years back. For me personally, it was a waste of money and I was not learning anything I could not learn on my own with the vast resources on the Internet. Rather than solely focusing on finding foreigners to fill our needs, we need to spend on the education and excellent public teachers that got me interested in Mathematics/Science/Computers. These politicians need to remember that the potential is here at home, they need to focus on that.