Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sec. Johnson Confirms Secure Communities Program May Be in Jeopardy

Sec. Johnson Confirms Secure Communities Program May Be in Jeopardy

Jeh Johnson

UPDATED:

Wed, MAY 21st2014 @ 8:00 am EDT

In a recent PBS interview, DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said he is “taking a fresh look at the Secure Communities program,” which has been subject to withering opposition by illegal-alien advocacy groups. The hand-picked law enforcement officials who met with Johnson last week also want the program re-evaluated but others do not want to diminish its effectiveness.

The Secure Communities program allows local law enforcement to communicate with ICE Agents and facilitates deportations. Illegal-alien advocates have complained that program picks up too many illegal aliens who are not serious criminals.

Johnson told PBS’ Judy Woodruff, “In my judgment, Secure Communities should be an efficient way to work with state and local law enforcement to reach the removal priorities that we have, those who are convicted of something. The program has become very controversial. And I told a group of sheriffs and chiefs that I met with a couple days ago that I thought we needed a fresh start. And this is a conversation I have been having with a number of mayors and governors.” He said his plan to revamp the program will be made public in the near term.

Woodruff asked Johnson whether he is seriously considering an expansion of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program to other illegal aliens. Johnson said, “We’re looking at a wide variety of things. And I have talked to a number of individuals, concerned groups about the potential for expanding the DACA program, revising our removal priorities. And I would say that we have to be careful not to preempt Congress in certain areas. They are the lawmakers. Whatever we do in the executive branch, we have to do within the confines of existing law. So we have a fair amount of discretion when it comes to how we prioritize our enforcement activities.”

Woodruff also asked Johnson to comment on the pressure he’s getting from those who believe the Administration hasn’t done a good enough job with deportations. He said, “I have spoken to those who are in the category you just described. And I have spoken to those who are advocating change. And I hope that whatever we do reflects a balanced, thoughtful approach that encompasses all these points of view you referred to.”

A group of Massachusetts sheriffs who were not invited to last week’s White House meeting criticized the Administration for wanting to “water down” the Secure Communities program, and accused the White House of scoring political points during an election year.

“This program would absolutely be efficient if the Obama administration hadn’t been trying to find ways to break it down,” said Bristol County Mass. Sheriff Thomas Hodgson. “This president has continued to find ways to water down the rules and laws…That’s the slippery slope and the danger we’re facing when people start tinkering with things to stop being consistent with the law.”

Plymouth County Mass. Sheriff Joseph McDonald said the program is “absolutely working as intended…All of a sudden, because the advocates have been shouting that there are other people getting swept up into this, (they) bought into the argument that they have fought against for so long,” i.e., undermining Secure Communities, the centerpiece of the Administration’s interior enforcement efforts.

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/sec-...ay-be-jeopardy

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn