Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I did not read anything like that but I would believe it.

We are middle class (not lower or upper) although at the rate things are going we will descend to lower middle class sooner rather than later. I only know how it is here in my neck of the woods. Now while I realize property taxes are high in many other places across the country, Florida has a pretty unique situation going on with the homeowners insurance. We were dropped by our current homeowner insurance company so I have been shopping around. The quotes I am getting are a 300% to 400% increased going from $900 a year to $3800 a year or more. On top of that the electric companies have all raised their rates considerably because of hurricanes and the cost of gas. Our electric bill went from being very reasonable to being astronomical.

The best part is the Florida legislature just had a special session about a week ago about how to fix the insurance problem in the state. And boy did they come through for the residents of Florida. Across the board each policy holder should see about a 5 to 10% decrease in their policy. So premiums go up 300 to 400% and we are getting a 5 to 10% break. What a bunch of geniuses.

In short my advice to everyone here. DO NOT move to Florida (unless of course you want to buy my house which is on the market )

Cthelights'
    I live here in Florida,too. Ain't it great.
    I have contacted Martinez so many times, it is
    ridiculous.
    See, here is another FLoridian telling everyone the truth. "Ain't it great".
    Oh yea. Having the politicians that we have here in Florida is like.....you want to know what it is like?? It is like a Third World Country government here in Florida and not just South Florida....it has spread north.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If you are a native born American living in Florida, the politicians do not give you the time of day.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We are middle class (not lower or upper) although at the rate things are going we will descend to lower middle class sooner rather than later.
    Hi dlm,
    I often wonder how people define middle class. I consider myself upper poor people. However, I'm borrowing to remain even there. If I lived on cash without debt I'd be simply middle poor.
    LL
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

LL, whatever you are, wherever you live....you would come down many notches if you lived in the state of Florida today in 2007. This drop in the standard of living here has been happening for sometime, but it has been speeding up over the last few years. (Quite honestly since Bush and the illegal immigration fiasco, although it clearly began under Clinton)

Quote Originally Posted by loservillelabor
    We are middle class (not lower or upper) although at the rate things are going we will descend to lower middle class sooner rather than later.
    Hi dlm,
    I often wonder how people define middle class. I consider myself upper poor people. However, I'm borrowing to remain even there. If I lived on cash without debt I'd be simply middle poor.
    LL
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_class

I was wondering that myself.

I define middle class as comfortable as in can pay our bills and have a little extra for fun stuff. We live in an average 3/2/2 house in a nice neighborhood but not fancy or gated. We cannot go out and buy a new car every other year like alot of people seem to do. We just have to keep them running so we do not get saddled with car payments.

That being said I do not see a vacation anywhere in our future and the money for doing fun stuff is getting to be less and less. And it seems like being able to put some away for the future is also going to be a thing of the past if trends continue they way they are.

So that is my definition of middle-middle class heading to lower middle class

We cannot go out and buy a new car every other year like alot of people seem
    Don't let them fool you...they don't have any more money then you do, you just use yours more wisely.

dlm,
    Thank you for your encouraging words. I am sorry that you
    will be moving.
    I, too, grew up in Florida, but will be leaving soon.
    I know not where,but out of here. I am glad that my ex
    has our house, however, it is on the market, too. Insurance and
    taxes and the supposed property value has skyrocketed him out
    of our house.
    However, my apt rent has gone up over $125 a month in less than
    9months.
    I used to consider myself middle class, but now,
    close to poverty. I share my one bedroom apt with one of my sons.

I have gotten down to no credit cards and no other bills for things
    "bought". Just paying off medical bills not covered under insurance, of course. I save a bundle by using the bus. When I really needed
    something, I would use QVC for the easy pay. But not in over a year.
    Everything made in China. I wrote and told them so.

I think Americans are luckier than most other nations, still.
    And I can tolerate these times, just not the influx of a culture
    so different from our own.

Quote Originally Posted by dlm1968
    I did not read anything like that but I would believe it.
    Not the one I was thinking of but...........
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... =economist
    A recent study by Harvard economist George J. Borjas, probably the nation's leading authority on the economics of immigration, concluded that from 1980 to 2000 immigration reduced the average annual earnings of native-born men by $1,700, or nearly 4 percent. For the poorest tenth of the work force the reduction was much larger, 7.4 percent, traceable to Mexican immigration. Native-born African-Americans and Hispanics were also hard-hit, being in direct competition with immigrant workers. Mr. Borjas found even college graduates had their earnings lowered by an estimated 3.6 percent.
    What's going to happen when all the taxpayers carrying the illegals move out and they have to pay their own way?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234