Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senate negotiators unable to reach immigration deal

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4807574.html

May 16, 2007, 2:49AM
    Senate negotiators unable to reach immigration deal
    Stalemate could force a vote to take up legislation from last year

By MICHELLE MITTELSTADT
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — Senate Democrats and Republicans struggled Tuesday to strike a deal to overhaul the U.S. immigration system before a showdown vote today.

Compromise proved elusive for the dozen or so negotiators working behind closed doors to bridge major philosophical differences over a guest worker program and what type of immigrants to admit to the United States in the future.

"The problem is everything is linked to everything else, so until we have a deal on everything there is no deal on anything," said Sen. John Cornyn, one of the negotiators along with fellow Texas Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., set today as the deadline to compromise or vote to take up the comprehensive immigration legislation that passed the Senate last year only to founder in the House.

By nightfall, a leading negotiator, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said no deal would be struck by Reid's deadline.

Still, he said: "I'm optimistic that we are going to get a bill."

Republicans threatened to block last year's bill, saying the talks should be given more time rather than taking up a measure that both parties say is flawed.

Fearful that Democrats would seek to paint Republicans as obstructionists if they blocked debate, GOP leaders were examining their options for moving ahead.

Hutchison, the fourth-ranking Senate Republican, has readied an alternative that she will offer only if the negotiations fail and senators deadlock over last year's bill. While she said her preference would be to obtain a bipartisan compromise, she said it is essential for Republicans to outline their vision if talks break down.

Guest worker proposal
    "Depending on how things unfold in the next 24, 48 hours, we are ready to go because I don't want to be considered anti-reform," Hutchison said. "I am for reform, but I think a good bill is essential for us to do the right thing for our country and for security."

Hutchison's bill is an adaptation of a plan she offered last year with Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind.

Her newest plan, also crafted with Pence, would create a guest worker program, administered by the private sector, which would not take effect until certain interior and border enforcement goals have been met. The nation's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants could apply for the same visas as future foreign workers.

In a nod to this year's debate, the Hutchison-Pence bill would reorder the legal immigration system away from its underpinnings of family reunification, instead establishing a skills-based system that places more value on foreigners with education, jobs and English skills.

Their bill also would deny Social Security credits for the time immigrants worked in illegal status and would not permit guest workers to accrue permanent Social Security benefits.

Instead, the workers would receive a lump sum payment from their Social Security withholdings when they return to their home country once their visas expire. Their Medicare withholdings would be used to compensate state and local providers for the cost of providing emergency medical services to illegal immigrants.

Last year, Hutchison and Pence received a brief flurry of attention for a plan conservatives touted as a compromise and immigrant-rights groups deemed unworkable. It is unclear how much support their latest version could attract, in part because Hutchison has not widely circulated her proposal during the bipartisan talks.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

In a nod to this year's debate, the Hutchison-Pence bill would reorder the legal immigration system away from its underpinnings of family reunification, instead establishing a skills-based system that places more value on foreigners with education, jobs and English skills.

Their bill also would deny Social Security credits for the time immigrants worked in illegal status and would not permit guest workers to accrue permanent Social Security benefits.

Instead, the workers would receive a lump sum payment from their Social Security withholdings when they return to their home country once their visas expire. Their Medicare withholdings would be used to compensate state and local providers for the cost of providing emergency medical services to illegal immigrants.

Last year, Hutchison and Pence received a brief flurry of attention for a plan conservatives touted as a compromise and immigrant-rights groups deemed unworkable. It is unclear how much support their latest version could attract, in part because Hutchison has not widely circulated her proposal during the bipartisan talks.
    This makes a lot more sense than shamnesty. Make sure they are who they claim to be, verify that they worked LEGALLY, OBEYED OUR LAWS and most importantly make sure that they have returned to their own country and STAY THERE. If they return and work illegally, then they do not become perpetual benefactors of ANY SOCIAL PROGRAMS.

Additionally, unconditional repeal of the 14th Amendment should be at the forefront of any package offered. When you take away the freebies and put conditions upon employment it will instantly eliminate the parasites and reveal who really just "wants to work and provide for their families"
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

THIS acomplishes NOTHING!!!
    All the LAWS are already on the books, CANT THESE PEOPLE READ?
    One just needs to look back in our History 54 years, President Eisenhower enacted Operation Wetback, and because of His BACKBONE, the Govt. deported over 1 million Illegals. No ifs,ands or buts, they sent them back where they belong.
    That is what we need now, but because of all the PC (pollitically correct) crowd and all the slip & fall lawyers OUR mission is that much harder.
    If they do nothing, the Border remains open and the ONLY ones I see actually doing something are the Minutemen building thier fence.
    I've been called a Rascist, a Bigot...I'm an AMERICAN!!!
    And I do NOT have a problem with LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, at a reasonable LEVEL.
    <div>MY eyes HAVE seen the GLORY... And that GLORY BELONGS to US... We the PEOPLE!</div>

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotofPast
    THIS acomplishes NOTHING!!!
    All the LAWS are already on the books, CANT THESE PEOPLE READ?
    And from your comments, PatriotofPast, I say to the U.S. Senate:

I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman