Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sessions warms to migration reforms

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/i ... xml&coll=2

Sessions warms to migration reforms
    Friday, March 16, 2007

WASHINGTON - Sen. Jeff Sessions, one of the fiercest opponents of immigration reform last year, said Thursday he could be a convert if the new bill includes a plan for those willing to cross the border for work but not stay permanently.

The Alabama Republican said recent behind-the-scenes negotiations indicate a growing interest in a temporary guest-worker program that doesn't automatically put immigrants on a path to citizenship, which was a deal-breaker for him in the last congressional session.

"I think there are discussions about a real temporary-worker program that would actually work," Sessions told a group of Alabama farmers Thursday over lunch on Capitol Hill. "I believe there is one we could craft and I will support one that will work."

Sessions is among a group of GOP senators working on ways to amend an immigration reform plan that already has the backing of Democrats and President Bush. Two sticking points are how to manage the future influx of workers to hold jobs vital to the American economy, and what to do about the estimated 12 million immigrants already in the country without permission.

Sessions last year opposed plans giving them a chance at permanent legal status, instead backing legislation for fences and more border security.

In the end, the House and Senate passed conflicting immigration bills that were never ironed out. This year, because the new Democratic majority is largely in agreement with the Republican White House on the issue, immigration reform is more likely to win approval, causing the Republican opposition to scramble for some common ground.

"I would say the discussions, if they are connected to reality, are light years better than last year," Sessions said.

He said he was admittedly "hard-nosed" about the bill last year but his principle opposition to amnesty, or allowing illegal immigrants a chance at citizenship, has not changed.

"We can have a ... track for temporary workers that don't have to have skills and the education level," Sessions said. "And a separate track for those who want to become permanent residents and citizens. That's the way I see it. It's a common-sensical thing and it's sort of interesting that people are coming around to it. Surprise, surprise."

`Going to be painful':

The formal debate has not begun on the Hill, but Sessions said he would back a package that improves border security, holds businesses accountable if they hire illegal workers and gives preference to new immigrants who learn English and have a job skill or higher education level.

"As for the people that are here, it's going to be very painful for everybody," Sessions said. "It is not going to be possible to remove everybody that's here. We'll have to create a system that is compassionate and realistic."

Sessions revealed his potential support for a guest worker program at his annual Washington meeting with the Alabama Farmers Federation, which already has endorsed it as a necessity for the agriculture industry.

"If we aren't able to get a good guest-worker program in place for American agriculture and if the government is successful at shutting down the border and controlling the flow of illegals coming here, then we stand to lose $5 billion to $9 billion a year in terms of net agriculture income," said Bob Stallman, president of the American Farm Bureau.

E-mail: morndorff@bhamnews.com

Mechanize agriculture
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So they got to Sessions somehow?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Sounds like pandering to the agricultural community to me. I'm disappointed in you, Sen. Sessions. This drops you a couple notches on my respect level, however, we'll see how you perform when it comes to crunch time.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

When did these criminals become "migrants" instead of illegal aliens? Very soon they will be called "undocumented American citizens" and the REAL American citizen will be an extinct being, and America an extinct country.

Cry my beloved country!

MW
    William wrote:

So they got to Sessions somehow?
    Yeah, it does sound as if he is caving a little to the pressure for a guest worker program. We'll just have to wait and see where he stands when it counts.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am worried about all of our Rep. Senators, and Representatives, who are meeting with the President in secrecy, does this mean we are going to be sold out now by the ones who have stood firm against illegal immigration? We should all write and call our own Senators and Congressmen, and tell them if they turn on us now they will be replaced at the polls. I have tried to contact other Senators and Congressmen not from my state, it is impossible now to do that, your emails will not be accepted by them. Isn't it funny how our leaders are suppose to be representing Americans, yet when you try to contact them, they suddenly are not able to hear from people who are not from their states. That just goes to show another way our country is becoming devided.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

LOL this is the funniest news ever. Sessions himself your most loyal ally, the man who wouldnt budge an inch, i could bet my last dollar on this man that he would say the following words: amnesty/compassion/guest worker thats like a sin hearing those words from him..

Illegals got Sessions your most outspoken ally, meaning those moderate GOP 's who were on the fence are long time converted. No wonder NumbersUSA is panicking saying White House was smiling mouth to mouth because they convinced GOP... Looks like Pres.Bush was able to find some pesos in Mexico from his trip, so he could convert it to cents to his remaining political capital

Wonder what sessions got for saying this. Each senator and representative trades their votes for earmarks in the different appropriation bills.

They got to most every one this is BS lets just give in with no fight. no way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast