Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Southland Immigrants Concerned After Bill Dies in Senate

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... =menu191_1

The death of President Bush's immigration bill which would have included amnesty for millions of illegal immigrants has not left some unanswered questions.

Millions of people around the country held countless marches and demonstrations supporting the immigration bill.

Now, with the bill's premature death, many are wondering "what's next?"

Sandra Mora, 18, was pinning her hopes on what was supposed to be a sweeping immigration reform bill.

Now, Mora -- a wife and working mother of two -- is among the more than 12 million illegal immigrants who are at a loss.

With the death of the immigration bill, Mora, who also participated in local marches for the cause, now faces the grim possibility of deportation.

"People are here to work," Mora says. "I guess they don't want [illegals] here to be working. They just want them to go back."

Sylvia Cardona is an immigration reform advocate.

She volunteered countless hours getting people like Sandra Mora ready for a possible amnesty and organizing community rallies to promote the failed immigration bill.

"I'm angry," Cardona says in reaction to the bill's death. "I'm sad for the people and for the community."

Now, it's back to square one for those hoping to stay in this country legally.

"I really don't know what I want do if I wanted to go back to Mexico and leave my daughters," says Mora.

"I don't lose my hope," Cardona says in getting a bill done. "I think they have a heart. Maybe, they'll gather and say ‘you know what, maybe we did something wrong.'"
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

Take your kids with you and make your country better.

Don't let the door hit you...
    Check your credit report regularly, an illegal may be using your Social Security number.

Re: Southland Immigrants Concerned After Bill Dies in Senate

Quote Originally Posted by Nadys
    Millions of people around the country held countless marches and demonstrations supporting the immigration bill.
    about 12 million?
    Now, with the bill's premature death, many are wondering "what's next?"With the death of the immigration bill, Mora, who also participated in local marches for the cause, now faces the grim possibility of deportation.
    well just leaving is also a possibility and not so grim.
    "I guess they don't want [illegals] here to be working. They just want them to go back."
    well I guess you get it.
    She volunteered countless hours
    Could do that in Mexico too.
    "I really don't know what I want do if I wanted to go back to Mexico and leave my daughters," says Mora.
    why leave them? show them the rich cultural history of their ancestors.

Quote Originally Posted by helizna
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadys
    about 12 million?
    Now, with the bill's premature death, many are wondering "what's next?"With the death of the immigration bill, Mora, who also participated in local marches for the cause, now faces the grim possibility of deportation.
    well just leaving is also a possibility and not so grim.[quote:3noyu0an] "I guess they don't want [illegals] here to be working. They just want them to go back."
    well I guess you get it.
    She volunteered countless hours
    Could do that in Mexico too.
    why leave them? show them the rich cultural history of their ancestors.[/quote:3noyu0an]

Mora has quite a flair for the obvious, doesn't she, Helizna? We want her to go home...and take all her compadres with her. And it took her how long to figure that out????

"I don't lose my hope," Cardona says in getting a bill done. "I think they have a heart. Maybe, they'll gather and say ‘you know what, maybe we did something wrong.'"

Yeah, we did several things wrong. We didn't fence and militarize our border decades ago. We let you come here in the first place. We let you stay. We let you have anchor babies and claim they're Americans. We let you send your offspring to school at our expense. We let you have billions in social services that Americans can't get. We let you destroy our hospitals. We let you commit crimes and get off scott free. The list goes on. Yeah, we did something "wrong" all right.

The welcome mat is gone. Bye-bye Adios

We should keep the ball rolling here. Continue writing your senators and telling them to finish the job. Deport the illegals and begin punishing the businesses that employ them.
    "We have decided man doesn't need a backbone any more; to have one is old-fashioned. Someday we're going to slip it back on." - William Faulkner

"People are here to work," Mora says.
    They're also here to get free heath care, free schools, and free social services.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut
    Take your kids with you and make your country better.
    Exactly, you want our help let us know.