Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Texas Congressman tells Legislature to back off immigration

Another sell-out traitor to add to the list.

Congressman tells Legislature to back off immigration

May 9, 2008 - 9:42PM
    James Osborne

McALLEN - U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar told the Texas Legislature to stay away from enacting immigration reform.

"This is a federal matter," said Cuellar, D-Laredo. "If the state gets involved you're liable to have a patchwork of laws."

The congressman made his comments Friday to a roomful of Texas businesspeople at the McAllen Convention Center during a forum on the effects increasing immigration enforcement have on the business sector.

During the last legislative session, a Republican-led coalition pushed for the creation of a system of fines and other punitive measures for Texas businesses caught hiring illegal immigrants, as well as other anti-immigration measures.

The proposal never made it to the assembly for a vote, but the effort will be renewed when the Legislature convenes in January, said state Rep. Leo Berman, R-Tyler, who was Friday's meeting.

"(The federal government) has done nothing about illegal immigration, and as a state representative my oath says I will protect the Constitution and the laws of the state of Texas," he said. "We're playing this a lot smarter this time."

Berman said "almost every Republican" is expected to support the legislation.

Even opponents admit they have a tough fight ahead of them, though.

"We haven't had anything done (at the federal level) the last two years, so the pressure will be increased," said Bill Hammond, president of the Texas Association of Business and a former Republican state representative for Dallas.

Laws targeting businesses that hire illegal immigrants already have passed in Arizona, Oklahoma and other states.

According to Texas Employers for Immigration Reform, a pro-business and pro-immigrant group, the industries that would be most affected by tougher immigration enforcement are farming, construction and the service industry.

"These laws could be very harmful to Texas businesses," Hammond said. "It's shortsighted and we'll likely end up with a lot of lawsuits being filed."

http://www.themonitor.com/news/texas_11 ... state.html

Contact Info:

Form email http://cuellar.house.gov/Contact/ContactForm.htm

Office locations and phone numbers:

336 Cannon House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515
    phone: 202-225-1640
    fax: 202-225-1641

602 E. Calton Road, Suite 2
    Laredo, Texas 78041
    phone: (956) 725-0639
    fax: (956) 725-2647

320 N. Main Street, Suite 221
    McAllen, Texas 78501
    phone: (956) 631-4826
    fax: (956) 631-4251

100 N. F.M. 3167
    Rio Grande City, Texas 78582
    phone: (956) 487-5603
    fax: (956) 488-0952

615 E. Houston Street, Suite 451
    San Antonio, Texas 78205
    phone: (210)271-2851
    fax: (210) 277-6671

100 S. Austin Street, Suite 1
    Seguin, Texas 78155
    phone: (830) 401-0457
    fax: (830) 379-0984

U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar , oh yeah . the guy who talks to his Sheriff on Lou Dobbs like he's a bum . Oh yeah this guys cousin or brother is now running for Sheriff . Those "Men" in the Texas house need to gag this jerk
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Quote Originally Posted by tencz57
    U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar , oh yeah . the guy who to talks to his Sheriff on Lou Dobbs like he's a bum . Oh yeah this guys cousin or brother is now running for Sheriff . Those "Men" in the Texas house need to gag this jerk
    I also saw him talk down to a sheriff on Glenn Beck's TV show, Cuellar's brother was running against the sheriff in the primary.

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar
    According to Texas Employers for Immigration Reform, a pro-business and pro-immigrant group, the industries that would be most affected by tougher immigration enforcement are farming, construction and the service industry.

"These laws could be very harmful to Texas businesses," Hammond said. "It's shortsighted and we'll likely end up with a lot of lawsuits being filed."

The minority trying to set the rules ....
    I have contacted Berman and my elected state officials and will continue until January .
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I've been in contact with various politicians in Austin they seem in my opinion more willing to listen this time on immigration, Texas is catching over flow from Oklahoma and other states which have enacted laws and I suspect our crime stats are moving up but the big reason is again just opinion, hospital and schools cost climbing out of site. Texas will in time be following California with budget deficits if not controlled now.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by tencz57
    U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar , oh yeah . the guy who to talks to his Sheriff on Lou Dobbs like he's a bum . Oh yeah this guys cousin or brother is now running for Sheriff . Those "Men" in the Texas house need to gag this jerk
    U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar: Arrogant Jerk: http://govtricks.blogspot.com/2007/11/u ... -jerk.html

Quote Originally Posted by FedUpinFarmersBranch

The minority trying to set the rules ....
    I have contacted Berman and my elected state officials and will continue until January .
    Thanks for the reminder I just sent my state senator and representative an email about this article!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAIAta_y1SM

First of all, "Mr. Sheriff"....

"You're job is to be a county sheriff, not a US Congressman"..

GB: "Shame on you Congressman"....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar
    is a scumbag...ps his brother wants be be sheriff in Laredo
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast