Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Texas House Passes Proof of ID

This article was combined with another one without a title so I made on up.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

By Kelley Shannon

Associated Press

AUSTIN -- Texas voters would need more proof of identification at the polls under a contentious measure that won final approval in the Texas House on Tuesday.

Supporters of the bill by Rep. Betty Brown, R-Terrell, say they want to crack down on voter impersonation, but opponents say there's no evidence that problem exists. Opponents also said the measure would lead to discrimination against the elderly and minorities because they are less likely to have photo IDs.

In passionate speeches before Tuesday's 76-69 final vote approving the bill, several minority Democrats urged fellow House members to vote against the legislation. They said it's a backward step after years of fights for voting equality.

"Nothing pains me more in this House than to be forced to talk about being black in America, and that is what I must talk about because that is my experience. That is the lens that I see through," said Rep. Helen Giddings, a Dallas Democrat. "I keep praying that the day is near when we will be colorblind, but that day is not here yet."

Giddings said she believes the bill's supporters have honorable intentions, but she -- echoing the words of other House Democrats -- said in her view there is no problem.

Republican Rep. Leo Berman of Tyler, chairman of the House Elections Committee, spoke in favor of the bill and said voter fraud has existed since Texas has been a state.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_5743811
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hot Damn.

The OBL was in there wanting to use the Matricual. What a joke!!!!!

Protect our vote. Get your senators to pass similar legislation and vote yes.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Way to go Texas!!! Don't be as stupid or crooked as California where illegal aliens voted by the droves in the last mayoral election in Los Angeles and LA wound up with Antonio Villaraigosa. UGH!!!
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>