Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Transcript, Dobbs and Wian on ABSOLUT

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... dt.01.html

Outrage over a vodka ad in Mexico that depicts much of the United States as a part of Mexico, the ad for Absolut Vodka shows California, Texas -- I don't know why I'm saying this to you when we could just simply show you a map, but there it is -- and other states as still belonging to Mexico. Some activist groups claim the land is rightfully part of Mexico even now. But a number of consumers in this country apparently were offended by the ad.

They're calling for a boycott of Absolut. Casey Wian has our report.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

WIAN (voice-over): The marketing campaign is called "In An Absolut World", and many Americans are absolutely outraged by one ad showing the entire southwestern United States belonging to Mexico. The ad appeared in the Mexican celebrity lifestyle magazine "Quien" owned by CNN's parent company, Time Warner and on billboards in Mexico.

The image shows Mexico's approximate borders before the Mexican- American War. Though the United States won and paid Mexico for what became the American Southwest, some Mexicans say it rightfully belongs to them.

PROF. GEORGE GRAYSON, COLLEGE OF WILLIAM AND MARY: That's an extremely prevalent idea, 58 percent of Mexicans say that they have every right to return to the Southwest of the United States and that they don't need documents. It's really stolen territory.

WIAN: The ad sparked outrage on the Internet, people who called Absolut to complain heard this recorded message.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE, RECORDED RESPONSE FROM ABSOLUT SPIRITS: This particular ad which ran in Mexico and has run its course was based upon historical perspective and was created with a Mexican sensibility. In no way was it meant to offend or disparage nor does it advocate an altering of borders nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment nor does it reflect immigration issues. Instead it harkens to a time which the population of Mexico may feel was more ideal.

WIAN: On Saturday Absolut, a Swedish company now being acquired by Pernod Ricard of France, apologized and said it would no longer run the ads. Still a poll on the "Los Angeles Times" Web site found nearly two-thirds of the respondents said the ad was an affront to Americans and they would boycott the product.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

WIAN: Now Lou, earlier today I was printing a copy of the "Los Angeles Times" blog on the Absolut controversy. And I mistakenly printed all of the reader comments. I was shocked to find this stack of paper, 316 pages, literally thousands of mostly angry responses. Campaign may have been successful in selling vodka in Mexico, but clearly it backfired here in the United States, Lou.

DOBBS: Yeah, I mean this is crazy. I love the Absolut Vodka though, suggesting that they were not and I think all of us should feel a lot better knowing Absolut Vodka doesn't intend to change any of our borders through that ad. That was very reassuring and the suggestion, the acknowledgement, I guess that Mexicans are feeling somewhat like the 1830s were more ideal times. I wonder if that's really true.

WIAN: Absolutely it's true. This ad was put together...

DOBBS: You said absolutely true. Were you making a pun?

WIAN: No, not intentionally, Lou. But the advertising company that put this together was based in Mexico City. That's who put this particular ad together. And this idea that the American Southwest was stolen from Mexico is still part of many textbooks in Mexican schools and a lot of people as the surveys have shown in Mexico believe that this is rightfully their land.

DOBBS: And would you like to just share with our audience how many times this broadcast, you and I and other journalists associated with us here have been criticized for even suggesting the idea that Ricanista (ph) was even a marginal concept at the fringe of the left- wing radical nut jobs who are excited about this issue?

WIAN: I couldn't come close to counting the number of times we have been criticized but it's often and this idea, though, despite the protestations of people like the Southern Poverty Law Center is alive and well on both sides of the border, Lou.

DOBBS: Yeah, one thing we have got no shortage of, the left, the right, the extremes in this are both in Mexico and here. In Mexico, obviously the -- as the professor pointed out -- this holds great credence with a lot of Mexican citizens. Thank you very much sir, appreciate it -- Casey Wian from Los Angeles.

And still ahead here big business putting millions of Americans' credit information at risk. We'll have that report.

And the Bush administration's new plan to bring even more cheap foreign labor into this country, yes, it's true. We'll have the story here next. Stay with us. We're coming right back.

AE

Both Lou and Glen Beck need to be applauded for making this a part of their show, it needed to be heard on the MSM.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€