Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. Boosting Citizenship Fees

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01762.html

U.S. Boosting Citizenship Fees

By SUZANNE GAMBOA
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007; 10:17 PM

WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration will propose nearly doubling the fee it charges applicants for U.S. citizenship and significantly increasing fees for other immigration benefits, congressional and administration officials said Tuesday.

Fees for a wide variety of immigration services would rise an average of 66 percent, said the two government officials, who did not want to be named because the administration was scheduled to announce the proposal Wednesday.

The current fee of $330 to apply for citizenship would rise to slightly less than $600, said the administration official.

Congressional Democrats earlier this month warned the director of the Homeland Security Department's Citizenship and Immigration Services that they planned to review the agency's analyses behind any proposed immigration fee increases.

Immigration advocates have been bracing for the expected hikes. William Ramos, Washington director for the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials, said the increases are "just going to be devastating to our communities."

"It will basically create another obstacle for those who want to realize their dream of becoming American citizens," Ramos said.

Other fee increases are possible for green cards conveying legal residency, which now cost $325. Applicants also now pay a $70 fingerprinting fee in each case. Fees also are paid for things such as work permits, replacing lost green cards, and petitions to adopt orphans from other countries.

Democratic lawmakers said in a letter last week to Emilio Gonzalez, Citizenship and Immigration Services director, that they want to review how the agency came up with the proposed increases, and the cost estimates, assumptions and methodology used by the agency to justify the hikes.

The letter was signed by Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., immigration subcommittee chairman Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich., and immigration subcommittee chairwoman Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif.

Citizenship and Immigration Services covers its costs with application fees. The agency is required to do a fee analysis every two years to determine whether money raised from fees is covering costs. The agency last raised its fees in 2004, citing the cost of more intense background checks in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Immigrant advocates have long argued that the agency's costs cannot be absorbed by application fees. They want Congress to appropriate money to help pay costs.

Large fee increases would be heavily felt in the Asian community, where two-thirds of the population in the U.S. is foreign-born, said Traci Hong, director of the immigration program for the Asian American Justice Center.

About 70 percent of foreign-born Asians in the country become American citizens, a high rate for immigrants. Hong worried that higher naturalization fees would slow that rate.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    This could be a good thing, especially if the money is used specifically for enhanced border security and interior enforcement! Of course I'm sure that's not the plan.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Increase of fees

Another white wash by the Administration. Increasing fees is not going to do anything for America. It will not go to secure the border. Just something else for the Congress to spend and social programs for illegals.

Raise em more

I say raise it to $1,000,000.

At least it would filter out the riff-raff, but then it would put more pressure on the border, as no one could afford it.

Banned
    hi im Greg im new to ali-pac but not new to the issues
    raise it all we need
    as well as make the test a little harder
    john got any time to help the new guy out

Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN
    raise it all we need
    Hello, Greg, it's Mary from Ohio...remember me? Glad to see you on ALIPAC!!

Banned
    raise it all we need
    Hello, Greg, it's Mary from Ohio...remember me? Glad to see you on ALIPAC!!
    yes id do how are you today

Banned
    Mary how are you ? these days
    yes i do remmeber you and very nice to see you .

Banned
    ali-pac is old school for you huh

ali-pac is old school for you huh
    For me and I'm sure others, ALIPAC has been a great place to learn from news stories all over our great country as well as learning from people a lot smarter than I am! So glad you're here. I've noticed quite a few new members lately and I'm glad to see other Americans are becoming more informed and more involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast