Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

UNC Considering In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants

UNC Considering In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants
    Posted: Dec. 7, 2007
    Updated: Dec. 7 7:39 p.m.

Chapel Hill — The University of North Carolina system is considering whether to offer undocumented immigrants in-state tuition at its 16 university campuses.

In-state tuition ranges from $1,500 to $3,700 while out-of-state students pay $10,000 to $20,000.

System President Erskine Bowles said that illegal immigrants already are in the state and that creating another permanent underclass is not the right thing to do.

Joni Worthington, vice president for communications for the UNC system, said officials have agreed only to research the issue and have not taken a position for or against it.

A 28-member commission of business, community and academic leaders is studying the idea's costs and benefits.

Undocumented students make up a small percentage of the university system. At UNC-Chapel Hill, for example, there are four. All are on financial aid – none of it state or federal.

Chancellor James Moeser supports their success, saying, "it's in the interest of the state to educate all of the people who live here to their highest potential."

"They are honor students. In some cases, they are valedictorian(s) of our high schools," Moeser said. "Are we going to deprive this intellectual talent?"

Others are speaking out about the concept, saying the issue is not about money, but about setting a precedent.

"I think it would seriously erode their support amongst the taxpayers, the citizens," state House Minority Leader Paul Stamm, R-Wake, said. "We can't educate the entire world."

Stamm said the UNC system received more than a 15 percent increase in its budget last year. Changes like the one being researched could mean wavering support from some legislators, he said.

"It has to do with the responsibilities of North Carolina taxpayers to provide an appropriate education for the citizens of North Carolina," he said.

Last week, a controversy erupted over a new policy that mandates all state community colleges admit students regardless of their immigration status.

Policy opponents include all five candidates for North Carolina governor.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2139108/

comments at http://www.wral.com/golo/page/1896337/?id=2139108
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

""It has to do with the responsibilities of North Carolina taxpayers to provide an appropriate education for the citizens of North Carolina,"

ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE NOT CITIZENS OF NORTH CAROLINA OR ANY OTHER STATE IN THE U.S.

Joni Worthington, vice president for communications for the UNC system, said officials have agreed only to research the issue and have not taken a position for or against it.
    They're circling the wagons and feeling the heat!
    No research necessary because we won't have it. This tuition debicle has sealed their fate.

"I think it would seriously erode their support amongst the taxpayers, the citizens," state House Minority Leader Paul Stamm, R-Wake, said. "We can't educate the entire world."
    Looks like we've found our new MAJORITY speaker. We need to support Representative Stamm.

Pauls@ncleg.net
    919-733-2962
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Please join in our fight against this. Become an ACTIVIST. Se these two action threads:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-93209.html
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-92808.html

This giveaway to illegal aliens probably won't prompt the taxpaying citizens of North Carolina to jump up and down with glee.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeDome
    This giveaway to illegal aliens probably won't prompt the taxpaying citizens of North Carolina to jump up and down with glee.
    We're jumping up and down all right but it isn't with glee.

20 years of failed and unenforced immigration policy with libidiots, compassionate conservotards, IA huggers, sell-outs, bail-outs, traitors and nimrods running the show:

Damn, the globalist, multiculturalist, pandering ninnies are at it again. As I see it, because this great university system receives enormous federal grants and assistance, they're actually spending MY tax money to reward illegal aliens. And some nerve of these arrogant bureaucrats to lecture us on right and wrong. Lecturing us is not their job and I wish they'd just shut up and govern. It's absurd and I cannot object loudly enough. I'm gonna' write my congressman again.
    '58 Airedale

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

What is the mood of the general voting population in NC? Have the Dems cut their own throats for the 2008 election over the illegal immigration issue?
    Are the Republicans using the issue as a wedge issue for the election? I have heard very little if any election news out of the state of NC. Why aren't the Republicans beating the Dems over the head with this issue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast