Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Unlicensed driver - Crash kills wife, fetus

Unlicensed driver
    Crash kills wife, fetus
    Man runs red light, is hit by salt truck, police say; son hurt

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101

This is a tragic story. The driver is unlicensed and has never held a driver's license or social security number. I seriously doubt the Dispatch will do a follow up story. They usually fail to report we have illegal alien criminals living here.

I called the Perry Township police dept. and their secetary (Lori) confirmed he is an illegal alien. He has been reported to ICE and will not be released. She said he wasn't going any where, but wouldn't answer my direct question regarding his being held, by ICE. Perhaps I didn't phrase my question correctly.

My wife works in this are. This guy could have just as easily rammed into her car. She wouldn't be driving at 6 a.m., but drucks drive druck at all hours.

I do feel sorry for the kids. They're presently in the County's "Children Services" care. They have loset their Mother and a brother or sister, their Dad's in jail.

I'll check for additional news. Hopefully, the 12 o'clock news reports he's an illegal alien. I seriously doubt the Dispatch will.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:25 AM
    By Matthew Marx

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

PERRY TWP. (N.W. Columbus, OH) - An unlicensed driver is accused of causing a collision with a salt truck that killed his pregnant wife and the fetus early yesterday and fractured the skull of his 2-year-old son.

Last night, Perry Township police arrested Alfonso Martinez, 29, of the Northwest Side, in the death of his wife, Paula Martinez, who was said to be nine months pregnant. He is charged with two felony counts of aggravated vehicular homicide.

Police said alcohol might have played a role in the crash.

Mrs. Martinez, whose age was unavailable, died at Riverside Methodist Hospital, where her husband also had been admitted before being taken to jail. Their son Juan Martinez, 2, was in critical condition at Nationwide Children's Hospital with a fractured skull, said Sgt. Michael Bleas of the Perry Township Police Department.

Two daughters of Mrs. Martinez's -- Mariela Reyes, 7, and Gabriela Reyes, 4 -- were treated and released into the custody of Franklin County Children Services, Bleas said.

Mr. Martinez, of 2008-B Country Corners Rd., already was wanted on an arrest warrant because he never paid $412 from a 2006 conviction for driving without a license, Franklin County Municipal Court records show.

(He would have also been driving without insurance.)

"He never had a driver's license. He never had a Social Security number," Bleas said.

Investigators were awaiting results of a blood test ordered for Martinez after the crash, which occurred at 5:58 a.m. at Hayden Run Road and Riverside Drive, Bleas said. (between Dublin & Upper Arlington)

Martinez was eastbound on Hayden Run in a 1991 Toyota Camry, with his wife in the front passenger seat and the three children in the back seat. No one was wearing a seat belt. The boy was in a car seat that wasn't fastened properly, crash investigators said.

Martinez was going about 40 mph when he ran a red light into the path of an Ohio Department of Transportation salt truck that was northbound on Riverside spreading salt at 25 mph, said Perry Township Officer Tim Malone, crash investigator.

Malone said he found skid marks in the intersection that indicate the truck driver braked but was unable to avoid broadsiding the Toyota, which never braked.

Mrs. Martinez, who was two weeks from her scheduled delivery date, was pinned in the car, Bleas said.

Police officers who responded sought a blood test of Mr. Martinez for suspicion of drunken driving based on his erratic behavior.

"A witness smelled alcohol," Malone said. "That was our first indication that he had been drinking."

At the hospital, Mr. Martinez couldn't tell Malone the age of his wife, police said.

Investigators were awaiting results of that blood test, which would be available today at the earliest.

The truck driver, Charles E. Spring, 53, couldn't be reached for comment.

He was on a routine salting patrol out of ODOT's Hilliard post, department spokeswoman Nancy Burton said.

"It's just tragic all the way around," Burton said.

That the purpose of Spring's work was to prevent accidents wasn't lost on Bleas.

"The sad thing about that is, now, through no fault of his own, this truck driver is involved in the crash and someone has died," Bleas said. "It's not his fault whatsoever, but it doesn't make it any easier.

"If it were me, I don't think I'd be driving for a while. It really shakes you up."

Dispatch reporter Jeb Phillips contributed to this story.

mmarx@dispatch.com

Police ordered the driver's blood tested based on his erratic behavior and a witness who smelled alcohol.

State and Federal Governments keeping us safe? Huh? The street crimes, the murders, the gangs and letting in more terrorists. That is what the state and federal politicans are doing.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

The news has to get more stories like this out there. If you are involved with any law enforcement agencies you know the crimes they commit as you hear it dispatched, you have stats as a crime analyst, deal with it on the road, see it in the records department, or even see it in the jail system where they do ask and need immigration status verified. In South Florida it will make the news but you seldom hear them say illegal in the story. This has got to change. If they can include in an article or news report that a legal resident who commited a felony has a immigration hold and will be deported than why can't they say the same about an illegal. We need to get together with other races and fight this as it is blatant discrimination.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Bond Set For Man Charged In Fatal Crash

Bond Set For Man Charged In Fatal Crash
    Jan 02 2008 12:39PM

(IMO, he shouldn't be able to get out on bail. I'm going to call the Perry Twp. PD again)

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=&story=sites/1 ... 30755.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A judge ordered a man charged in a crash that killed his pregnant wife and unborn child be held under $500,000 bond on Wednesday.

Alfonso Martinez (pictured, right) was charged with two counts of aggravated vehicular, 10TV News reported.

Martinez ran a red light on Hayden Run Road at Riverside Drive at about 6 a.m. Tuesday, police said.

SLIDESHOW: Images From Crash

His vehicle was struck by an oncoming Ohio Department of Transportation truck.

Martinez's pregnant wife, Paulina, had to be extricated from the vehicle. She was taken to Riverside Methodist Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Three children who were in the car were also injured. Martinez's 2-year-old son was taken to Nationwide Children's Hospital in critical condition. Two other children, ages 4 and 7, suffered minor injuries, 10TV News reported.

The couple's children were placed in the care of Franklin County Children Services.

Investigators said Martinez, who is in the country illegally and does not have a driver's license, was drinking before the crash, 10TV News reported.

In court, Martinez's interpreter told the judge that he was "in shock" and that he led a happy life with his wife and children.

Martinez will be in court on Jan. 11.

Stay with 10TV News and 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

Reported by Patrick Bell

Previous Story:

January 1, 2008: Pregnant Woman Killed In Crash

he was drinking? big shocker!
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

I called the Perry Twp. PD again and spoke with Lori. She even remembered my previous call. I inquired about this guy being reported to ICE. She said they wanted to have a hearing for him, before he would be deported.

So, I'm not sure he has been reported to ICE, but I feel they want to put him in jail before worrying about ICE ?

I also called the ICE office in Columbus, they weren't able to comment on the situation.

I think they are going about it right, but it isn't crystal clear. I'll report additional news as it develops. I hope the Dispatch reports some more details, but I'm not holding my breath.

And the avoidable tragedies just never seem to cease...

Swatchick's suggestion is a great one. Force the details out into the public view. There's too much de facto censorship going on trying to bury the details of when illegals are involved in unlawful events or behaviors.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is a tragic story. The driver is unlicensed and has never held a driver's license or social security number. I seriously doubt the Dispatch will do a follow up story. They usually fail to report we have illegal alien criminals living here.
    This seems to be the case in many places. It is sad to see because as we move to bring forth the amount of illegals residing in the U.S., the media does not do anything to bring to light the true nature to the situation.

Somehow pressure needs to be put on the media to report all the facts.
    From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by safari
    This seems to be the case in many places. It is sad to see because as we move to bring forth the amount of illegals residing in the U.S., the media does not do anything to bring to light the true nature to the situation.

Somehow pressure needs to be put on the media to report all the facts.
    I've been emaiing the reporters and the editor of the Dispatch. I ask them to provide additional facts. I ask them to stop using the term illegal immigrant or undocumented worker.

I've complained they never have a photo of any Latino, illegal alien. So, if tomarrow's paper reports his $500,000 bail without his photo, I'll ask the editor, once again.

I've also faxed this news story to my elected reps. I asked them how does an illegal alien successfully drive without a license or insurance. His address is printed in the paper. He must have a job here. Where does he work ? Who was responsible for his 1st arrest ? Was he reported to ICE or simply let go ? Who failed to find him ? Just how many outstanding warrents are there ? I'll make a few more phone calls tomarrow, but nobody really wants to answer these questions.

Man jailed in death of pregnant wife fined in '06 for no lic

Unlicensed drivers often under the radar
    Man jailed in death of pregnant wife fined in '06 for no license, police say

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... t=&sid=101
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:26 AM

I suspect the city of Columbus was responsible for Alonso's first ticket for driving wo a license. Columbus has a reputation as a sactuary city. A few years ago, I failed to pay a speeding ticket where I live. It's a suburb of Columbus. The local police sent two cruises and three police officers to my house, on my birthday, hand cuffed me, took me to the police station, finger printed me, photographed me and accepted my check for a $100 speeding ticket. I doubt Columbus police do this. Perhaps they should.

I notice he wasn't labeled an illegal immigrant or an undocumented worker and the paper had his photogragh. This may be a first, for the Dispatch ? I haven't figured out how to post the photo.

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH - By Tim Doulin

COLUMBUS, OHIO - Defense attorney Tasha Ruth, left, stands with Alonso Martinez and interpreter Brenda Williams as Judge W. Dwayne Maynard sets bail. Martinez, who was in Franklin County Municipal Court yesterday, is charged with two counts of aggravated vehicular homicide.

Thousands of motorists are on Ohio roads without a driver's license, and there isn't a lot that law-enforcement officers and courts can do about it.

To start, driving without a license or under a suspended license is a misdemeanor offense, with a relatively light penalty.

People who have had their license suspended often continue to drive, secure in the knowledge that courts and cops likely are too busy with more-serious crimes to pay attention.

And there is no way to calculate the number of drivers who never bother to get a license. If they aren't stopped by police, they typically remain under the radar.

"It's shocking to people who don't work down here how many people drive around with no driver's license," said Dan Cable, an assistant Franklin County prosecutor in charge of vehicular crimes.

Alonso Martinez was driving without a license Tuesday morning, police said, when he ran a red light and collided with a salt truck, killing his pregnant wife, Paulina, who was two weeks from delivery.

Three children in the car were injured, including their 2-year-old son, who remains in critical condition at Nationwide Children's Hospital.

Martinez, 29, is being held in the Franklin County jail on $200,000 bail, charged with two counts of aggravated vehicular homicide. Police are investigating whether Martinez had been drinking and are awaiting results of a blood-alcohol test.

At Martinez's appearance yesterday in Franklin County Municipal Court, a prosecutor told Judge W. Dwayne Maynard that Martinez is in the country illegally and does not have a Social Security number.

At the time of the crash, there was an arrest warrant for Alfonso Martinez stemming from his failure to pay a $412 fine after he was convicted in 2006 for driving without a license. Perry Township police say it's the same man and that Martinez uses both first names.

Police are in charge of serving outstanding warrants. But enforcing warrants for failing to pay a fine is "probably pretty low on the totem pole," said Robert Levering, an assistant city attorney for Columbus.

[i]"Whatever resources they have pretty much are directed at people with felonies."[/i]

Driving with a suspended license is a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. Driving without a license ranges from the more severe first-degree misdemeanor to a minor misdemeanor, which carries a $150 fine.

Municipal Judge Anne Taylor said she often imposes a fine the first time someone is convicted of driving without a license. Second-time offenders generally are fined and receive a suspended sentence. They're also placed on a probation that allows Taylor to monitor any future offenses.

"If I think I have a person who is not proactive in getting a license, I will sentence them to jail -- 30 days is not untypical," Taylor said. "And then maybe they are concerned they will do more time if they don't get their license."

Licenses can be suspended for a number of reasons, including those having nothing to do with driving. Drivers who don't pay a traffic fine have their licenses suspended automatically. But licenses also can be suspended for failure to pay child support.

"There are so many situations where one of the sanctions is the suspension of your license that we just have an explosion of people driving without a license," Taylor said.

In 2006 in Ohio, 93,282 drivers were convicted of driving without a license, according to the Ohio Department of Public Safety. An additional 33,649 people were convicted of driving with a suspended license.

Levering is among those who say there is "no practical way of preventing people who want to from driving without a license."

"You take their car and they are going to drive somebody else's car," he said. "They are going to have their grandmother or mother buy a car for them."

In Tuesday's crash, the vehicle was registered to Martinez's wife.

tdoulin@dispatch.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast