Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Visas, I-9S, E-Verify, Census - Politics of Immigration

The Politics Of Illegal Immigration

http://patism66.blogspot.com/2008/09/po ... ation.html

Sunday, September 14, 2008

by James W. Smith

The problem of illegal immigration exists today in large measure because the last two Presidential administrations have not enforced the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, which provided for penalties against companies that hire undocumented workers. In 1999, under the Clinton Administration, the U.S. government collected a meager $3.69 million from 890 companies in fines. In 2004, under George Bush, the amount collected in fines from companies hiring undocumented workers was zero.

It is estimated that, in 2004, three million illegal immigrants entered the United States. In addition, the border with Mexico has never been properly secured, with only 9500 border agents trying to police an eight thousand mile border until 2005.

These factors have lead to an illegal immigrant population that has grown by at least 37% since the last United States census in the year 2000. This increase in illegal immigration will provide a political firestorm in Washington D.C. in the next few years since illegal immigrants are still included in the congressional apportionment calculation for 2010.

Congressional apportionment is the distribution of the 435 seats in the United States House Of Representatives among the 50 states. The calculation is done every decade and is based on the census of a state's total population. The calculation includes citizens and non citizens including illegal aliens. The last calculation was done by Congress in the year 2000 and the next calculation of apportionment will be done in 2010. In addition this once in a decade population tally is used as the basis to distribute more than $200 billion in federal aid to the states each year.

When examining the last congressional apportionment in the year 2000, several interesting things become apparent. Seven million illegal aliens were counted in the 2000 United States census. In total the census counted 18.5 million non-citizens. These illegal aliens and non-citizens tend to live in several states in a concentrated fashion. Since apportionment considers non-citizens and illegal aliens in its formula, the result in 2000 was a redistribution of nine congressional seats. The result was that low immigration states that seem unaffected by immigration experienced a loss of their political influence. This loss of political influence occurred through the loss of congressional seats in the House of Representatives. The presence of non citizens in the census and apportionment calculations had some dramatic political consequences. Due to the fact that non-citizens were factored into the 2000 calculation, Indiana, Michigan, Mississippi lost one seat each. The states of Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Kentucky, and Utah each failed to gain a seat they should have had. The states with a high number of illegal aliens and non citizens gained the seats. California gained six seats and Florida, New York, and Texas gained one seat each.

Now consider the recent report by the University of Connecticut State Data Center . The report is an early projection on how the nation's growing population of illegal immigrants would amplify the movement of Congressional seats to the South and West when seats in the House of Representatives are next divided up in 2010. The Connecticut report predicts that "Arizona, Texas and Florida will all hold additional seats in Congress after the next census, in part because of their illegal immigrant populations. California and New Jersey would keep their current amount of seats in the House under the current system. Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Montana and Ohio will each have one fewer seat than they would otherwise have because they have relatively few undocumented immigrants. New York, which would lose two seats under the current system, would lose only one if illegal immigrants were excluded." Two of California's projected fifty three House seats would be the result of its undocumented population.

The report makes this conclusion, "Illegal immigration is concentrating the power of voters in states such as California, Texas and Arizona, which have more seats in Congress per legal resident than many states where the number of illegal immigrants is much smaller". Orlando Rodriguez, the demographer of the report adds: "If you look at it, if the undocumented population is included, then you get a real shift in seats from the Northeast to the South and the Southwest, and it's a disproportionate shift because the people who are included in the count, not all of them vote".

Future Presidential elections will also be impacted by the 2010 Congressional apportionment. Illegal immigration will not only redistribute seats in the House of Representatives, but will impact the Electoral College as well because it is based on the size of congressional delegations. This influence comes from a population of people who are not citizens and who are by law not allowed to vote.These people are residing in this country illegally.

However, they live here illegally because they are allowed to by local, state and federal governments. They are used in census figures by their state of residence which receive monetary benefits and more congressional power. They are exploited by the politician pandering for the Hispanic vote. They are exploited by their employers who pay them in many cases a low wage with poor working conditions. They are here because existing immigration laws were not enforced by the two previous administrations and by many state and local governments. They are here because the country has not secured its border in an age of terrorism.

Non-citizens and illegal aliens will be counted in the April 2010 United States census which will be the basis for congressional apportionment. The resulting movement of congressional seats will in effect dilute the principle that every citizen voter has an equal voice in this nation's political life. The result of the 2010 congressional apportionment will be yet another unfortunate example of the politics of illegal immigration.

James William Smith has worked in Senior management positions for some of the largest Financial Services firms in the United States for the last twenty five years. He has also provided business consulting support for insurance organizations and start up businesses. Visit his website at http://www.eWorldvu.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The problem of illegal immigration exists today in large measure because the last two Presidential administrations have not enforced the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, which provided for penalties against companies that hire undocumented workers.
    Stopping amnesty and in turn an American First Hire Bill needs to be enacted.

All groups fighting: against amnesty, for a clarification of 14th Amendment, and to close the border; if you will take get one minute to think about the end prize. The end prize is jobs. AMERICAN JOBS HAVE NO SAFEGUARD FOR AMERICAN TO BE HIRED FIRST INSTEAD OF LEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

And with NO SAFEGUARD for the American workers; is this the most severe problems Americans will be confronted with currently and in the very near future.

Just this coming week while Americans are struggling to find a job; or feeling the threat of being displaced by a foreign worker Congress is in committee to pass the following:

H.R. 5882 would reach back to 1992 and "recapture" employment-based and family-based visas, potentially adding over 550,000 new green cards.

H.R. 5924 would lift the cap on employment-based visas for nurses and physical therapists until 2011.

H.R. 6020 would grant amnesty to illegal aliens who are family members of armed forces personnel.

H.R.5950, details vast new immigrant detainee health care requirements that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would have to implement in all of their detention centers.

So let's look at what is going on here with each.

H.R. 5882 would reach back to 1992 and "recapture" employment-based and family-based visas, potentially adding over 550,000 new green cards.

Can Americans workers be displaced any further? Yes, they are being replaced and displaced. Just go and asked your local State Unemployment Office if they are processing I-9 for local businesses. What are I-9s? What is the ratio of issued I-9 in a state versus the hiring of Americans?

The I-9 is a form - Department of Justice: Immigration and Naturalization Service produced. The I-9 requires the employer to obtain information such as proof of legal status by using a social security card, green card, or visa. Some companies make copies of this proof used for I-9 form. But the I-9 is not sent to be verified by any government agency, they are just filed. ICE may be the only agency that will inquiry into the file of I-9s if ever needed in a immigration raid. Once again the I-9 is not sent to be verified by any government agency. So once again, the I-9 is filed and most likely will not be touched any government agency ever. (How long has ICE been around?)

So first problem is are the paper fakes; and just look authentic. How are employers to discern between fake and legitimate documents. They cannot. Exactly, an employer's excuse for hiring illegals is "we are not document experts". Next, the employer's says, "we did not want to be sued for racial discrimination" so we just collect the I-9 information and do not question anyone. These employers are free to hire illegal immigrants with no safety net for the American Workers.

Why is there NOT a safety net for the American Workers? The I-9 was put in place after the 1986 amnesty to fool Americans into thinking businesses were only hiring legal workers. And employers only have to file the useless I-9 paper in a file cabinet with NO VERIFYING BY ANYONE. So where is the safe guard for all of America Jobs?

Congress Stop Ignoring the American Workers; Pass an AMERICAN FIRST HIRE LAW. This law could make sure massive legal immigrants and illegals aren't displacing American workers. Yet it seems we are protecting some jobs today by the following H.R. 5924.

H.R. 5924 would lift the cap on employment-based visas for nurses and physical therapists until 2011. Why is this? Why isn't there a cap on I-9s for the average American Workers? And why isn't the government guarding every American's job? Who are we really protecting here? Are nurses and physical therapists more special than other America workers?

And then the H.R. 6020 would grant amnesty to illegal aliens who are family members of armed forces personnel. Why would we do this? First, where these armed forces personnel legal or illegal immigrants when they were allowed to join the United States Military? Something is odd about this. Are illegals to enter our American Military Forces? Further research is needed on this!

Now here is the H.R.5950, which details vast new immigrant detainee healthcare requirements that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would have to implement in all of its detention centers. No, we do not provide health care any further for immigrants than we do for the general prison population.

Please Call your Congress this week and tell them "NO" on all bills above. And demand an "American First Hire Bill" that would give American Workers jobs first over all immigrants. Nurses and the medical communities should not have caps on hiring when other American Jobs do not have caps on them.

Here are toll free numbers for the Capitol Switch Board:
    to the US Capitol: 877-851-6437; 866-220-0044; 800-417-7666; 866-340-9281

Call about these and Call often to tell Elected Official how you feel. Elected officials are no better than the American People they represent and serve.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My TOP priority is American jobs, sovereignty and reducing the size of government (i.e. spending & intrusion)

I'm moving to PA - right now! LOL

I'll take ALL the help I can get!! Start moving!

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    I'm moving to PA - right now! LOL

NC-Mills Mfg. slow to fill lost positions
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-769530.html#769530

Post above related to I-9s, ICE, E-Verify in North Carolina.

OH MY! ICE THE WHOLE STATE NEEDS TO E-VERIFY THE I-9S!

START WITH THE STATE UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE DOING ALL E-VERIFIES ON I-9S NOT JUST AGRICULTURAL I-9S.

Related Post: NC Senator Walter Dalton; E-mail of E-Verify; My Reply/ http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-782532.html#782532

Hi,
    Thank you for the leads to information to educate myself about immigration law. I'll be reading tonight. Thanks for making me feel welcome! SD
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    - John F. Kennedy

The most recent labor statistics show about 1 in 8 new hires nationwide is now checked through the E-Verify system.

E-Verify replaces a paper system that employers just collect information and file. Until recently there was no system to check the status of an immigrant identity.

But now E-Verify taps into the Social Security Administration database for verification; for foreign workers, checks with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. If an immigration card is available the a photo of the person is available. This photo recognizing ability is to be expanded to include passport photos and later driver’s license photos.

Welcome sparkledragon, and thanks vm56. It is stupid that only 1 in 8 new employees is run through E-Verify, when all employees should be run through the system, especially if they claim to have SSNs, but no speakedly Ingles and have never seen electricity.
    We have so many laws on the books that just need to be enforced, and we would not be fighting these battles tantamount to treason, the cuddling of foreign national special interests and struggling under making our voices heard when the rich corporate interests care nothing about patriotism but only keeping their equity, debt holders and corporate bigwigs flush.
    We haven't enforced these immigration laws for 20 years, so why do they need to be changed? I could see it if the laws were enforced or attempted to be enforced and the result was an abysmal failure. Or if the laws are so old (can't fly a kite on the Mall during Sunday, nor tie your horse up to a public lamppost--DC; can't buy anything on Sunday that is not necessary for the sustenance of human life, i.e., no pet food-VA) they need to be tossed out.

Pat.Hurley@ncleg.net, Marcb@ncleg.net, Joe.Hackney@ncleg.net, Austin.Allran@ncleg.net, Jerry.Tillman@ncleg.net, Harold.Brubaker@ncleg.net, Wil.Neumann@ncleg.net

Dear Legislator:

I request that SB 1523 be amended to include State Employment Commission Offices and all of North Carolina workplaces and businesses of any kind.

North Carolina (currently)
    SB 1523 - Passed in 2006, SB 1523 requires all state agencies, offices, and universities to use E-Verify. The law applied to all employees hired after January 1, 2007 except for local education agencies which was March 1, 2007.

Please e-mail me if you have any questions,
    X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast