Would-be burglar shot to death by homeowner

June 30, 2006

BY ANNIE SWEENEY Crime Reporter

The South Side homeowner, a 51-year-old landscaper, came home from work Wednesday evening as he did every other night -- parking in the alley and cutting through his backyard.

But on this night, he saw a harrowing sight through a broken garage window -- a man nosing around his garage with a shotgun. The owner, who is of medium build but strong, his family said, fought with the assailant. In the struggle, the gun fired, killing the would-be burglar, Jesse Najera, 45, Chicago Police said.

The homeowner's family, including his wife and about six others, were inside the home in the 1600 block of West 38th Place, a relative said.

Najera, of the 4300 block of South Marshfield, has several felony convictions, according to court records.

The shooting was ruled justified by police, and the homeowner has been released without charges, police said Thursday.

'Why are we the victim?'

But that is little comfort to the family, who were too afraid to give their names or be photographed and now are considering moving. "There's a heavy thing on my mind -- Why are we the victim? Why do I have to give my life, why does my life have to change? We can't go home,'' said the homeowner's 23-year-old daughter. "We're changing a whole lifestyle for some guy who broke in to steal from people who work, from good citizens.''

The woman said her father hasn't told her much about what happened yet because he didn't want to talk about it.

The family has lived on the quiet block for 17 years. Residents say the neighborhood is a quiet, nice blend of different ethnic backgrounds, with newcomers and homeowners who have been around for decades.

Neighbors cite rash of break-ins

"I've always loved this neighborhood,'' said Alex Mikrut, who has lived in his brick house all of his 81 years.

He said there's a younger generation now, but neighbors are still nice, for the most part. They cut their grass and say good morning.

But more than one resident said there has been a rash of break-ins on the block and the latest was the most frightening by far.

"Especially because I've got four kids,'' said Ana Santos, 25. "You think it's a calm neighborhood, and God forbid something happens in your backyard.''

Wentworth Area Cmdr. Pat Walsh said detectives are checking reports of other burglaries in the neighborhood and will review evidence to see whether Najera could have been involved.

asweeney@suntimes.com