Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Some may say I'm heartless for saying this first off. However I was homeless myself for a year almost and have spent numerous years living and traveling to developing countries as well.

Now in my time I have seen the vast majority of homeless are NOT there because of bad luck but personal choice and laziness. Many simply do NOT want to work or strive for something better but sit back and let others take care of them just like the welfare state. Those who wish to get into a better situation can work for it and generally succeed with real effort. However part of what creates the problem is that WE allow it and actually go on providing for such thinking somehow our little charity work and such actually will help them.

Here's the cold hard truth, the vast majority of these people be them homeless OR on welfare do NOT want to work or do anything but sit with their hand out expecting someone else to do it for them. They want to live off a screwed up system that isn't just the government but a mentality that provides for the lazy rather then allow the lazy to die off if they refuse to work. Now I believe in helping those with REAL issues AND I also help those with real issues however I do NOT ever help those who are not willing to help themselves.

Now I currently live in the Philippines retired and I see every day homeless people and beggars on the street. A few have real issues such as missing limbs and so forth but most just find its easier to sit and beg vs a hard days work. However at the same time I find college students putting themselves to school by selling basic items on the street for a small markup, stuff like pens. I see others thinking outside the box as well and they manage themselves as well. I saw the same thing in the US as well same as numerous other places.

The real problem is people give into these people thinking they are helping them. However these people are beyond help simply for the fact that we allow them to continue living this way. However if you really want to help these people teach them how to do a hard days work. Have these soup kitchens and homeless shelters require these people to do a bit of work for their meal and bed like I did volunteering in the kitchen when I was homeless as I was a cook before the army. Put them to work to earn something and instill some self respect.

As they say "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime."

Then also I'm not so sure the beaten up guy is so trustworthy. The before picture is clearly before he was homeless and in healthy condition and the after picture is clearly much much later. Add in stuborness most longterm homeless have and someone with accute schitzophrenia along with police who aren't aware and think the schitzo is just pyscho who's likely in fairly screwed up shape to begin with. I'd say lesson is don't resist the police.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Police Violently Beat Gentle Homeless and Mentally-Ill Man to Death (Warning: Graphic Image)

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/police- ... hic-image/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 05-10-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Update: Outrage Grows After Police Allegedly Beat Mentally-Ill Homeless Man to Death (Graphic Image)

Posted on August 22, 2011 at 9:30pm
    by Billy Hallowell
    Comments (130)

4 videos at the link; several non transferrable

FULLERTON, Calif. (The Blaze/AP) Until last month, the most pressing issues in this quiet Southern California suburb were whether to build homes on rolling hills north of the city, how best to preserve a historic movie theater and a downtown bar scene that got a little too popular for its own good. But, all that changed back in July when Kelly Thomas, a mentally-ill homeless man died following a brutal brawl with local police. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/police- ... hic-image/

Now, the historic city that’s home to five colleges and a vibrant nightlife is the target of international outrage. Last month, The Blaze first covered this story, complete with video of the incident in which 37-year-old Kelly Thomas, who suffered from schizophrenia, can be heard crying out for his father over the zapping sound of a stun gun. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/police- ... hic-image/ Watch the video, below:

Video: Police Beating of Kelly Thomas in Fullerton, CA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ljYNgLn ... r_embedded

The incident last month has ensnared Fullerton in an ever-widening array of state and federal investigations, resignations and rowdy protests – and things promise to get worse for the city before they get better. The acting police chief last week ordered an internal investigation into an unrelated, but volatile confrontation last year after reviewing cell phone footage that appears to contradict sworn testimony given by police officers in court.

Public outcry over the new video prompted the department to acknowledge that officers may have arrested the wrong man. That man, Veth Mam, on Friday filed a federal complaint alleging officers used excessive force and falsified their police reports after arresting him. Mam, 35, was acquitted by a jury earlier this month on charges of assault, battery and resisting arrest, in part because of cell phone video depicting his own arrest.

A before and after shot of the Kelly Thomas beating

The two incidents have put Fullerton, an unassuming Orange County city best known as the home of a prominent California State University campus, on the map from Germany to Korea and unhappy residents and business owners are hunkering down. The city, founded in 1887 in the midst of citrus groves, prides itself on its roster of refurbished turn-of-the-century brick buildings, a bustling summer farmers market and a hopping nightlife in the redeveloped downtown with a jazz scene that has been known to attract the likes of actor Joe Pesci.

Most families who move to the city put down permanent roots and enjoy the small-town feel in a county better known for its sprawling suburban developments and web of freeways.

“It’s a very friendly place, it’s kind of low-key and because this has happened now that’s all that anybody knows about us,” said Michael Ritto, president of the Fullerton Downtown Business Association. “People are all upset, people are marching. I go to work and every day, all day, there’s TV cameras and crews everywhere.”

Video at the page link

The city’s biggest quality-of-life issue, an overly active bar scene, has been somewhat tamed in the past several years but is still an issue for police. Mam’s arrest last year happened as bars were letting out around 2 a.m.
    “They’re telling people, `Don’t go to Fullerton.’ Nobody here did anything wrong. Why should the retailers suffer?” said Ritto, speaking of the protesters who have packed public forums and marched outside the police station every Saturday for a month.
    For Fullerton, things began spiraling out of control on July 5, when Thomas got into a violent fight with police officers who were responding to reports that someone had been burglarizing cars at a downtown transit station. Thomas, who suffered severe head and neck injuries, was taken off life support on July 10.
    The incident was captured from a distance by a bystander with a cell phone camera and surveillance video from a bus captured upset witnesses telling the bus driver that officers had beaten and repeatedly used a stun gun on Thomas as he cried out for help.
    The district attorney‘s office is investigating the death and the FBI has launched a criminal probe to determine whether Thomas’ civil rights were violated. The City Council also last week voted to hire an independent consultant to untangle the events leading to Thomas’ death. Below, see angry citizens — and Thomas’ father — decry the officers’ actions at a Fullerton city council meeting:

Video at the page link

The district attorney has additional video of the incident from city surveillance cameras but authorities have not released it – or the officers’ names – citing the ongoing investigation.
    The incident has gained such notoriety that even the infamous hacker group “Anonymous” has threatened to take action. Earlier this month, Gawker wrote:
    In launching “Operation Fullerton,” Anonymous sent a letter to the Fullerton Police Department—also posted at Pastebin—criticizing the local city government for having a “broken moral compass,” and making the following demands:
    1) We demand the prosecution of Officers Jay Cicinelli, Kenton Hampton, Manny Ramos, Joe Wolfe, James Blatney, and anyone else involved in the gruesome beating, torture, and murder of Kelly Thomas.
    2) We demand the immediate resignation of the Chief of Police in Fullerton, California.
    3) We demand that the City of Fullerton immediately pay a lump sum settlement of no less than 5 million dollars to the legal survivors of Kelly Thomas.
    Police Chief Michael Sellers went on medical leave last week after repeated calls for his resignation and a recall effort is underway against a councilman, the mayor pro tem and Mayor Richard Jones, a retired surgeon who angered many when he said he had seen injuries worse than those suffered by Thomas during the Vietnam War.
    On Friday, attorney Garo Mardirossian, who is representing Thomas’ family, announced he had also filed a federal civil rights lawsuit on Mam’s behalf. He alleges that one of the officers involved in Mam’s case was also involved in the fight with Thomas.
    Sgt. Andrew Goodrich, a police spokesman, declined to comment on specific allegations in the lawsuit or to confirm the officer was involved in either case.
    Mam, 35, was accused of jumping on an officer’s back and choking him outside of a bar he and his friends had just left. His criminal attorney, David Borsari, said Mam was actually recording the arrest of his friend on his cell phone when the officer in question knocked the device out of his hand, and wrestled him to the ground where he was arrested.
    Another bystander picked up Mam‘s phone and captured Mam’s arrest – footage that proves he never attacked an officer, said Borsari.
    The cell phone video was used as evidence by both the prosecution and defense during trial and Mam was acquitted on all counts.
    “Once they know that they’ve been caught, they fall back on, `It’s a mistake,’” Borsari said. “I believe it was a calculated attempt to file a false report to mislead a jury.”
    Goodrich, the police spokesman, said allegations that the officers in the Mam case perjured themselves were false because they believed when they testified that they had arrested the right person.
    “I’ve said it many times, this is a good department that focuses on community service,” Goodrich said. “There’s a lot of attention focused on us because of the Kelly Thomas incident and we understand that and we respect that.”
    Prosecutor Rebecca Reed, who handled Mam’s case, said her office received the tape more than a month before trial but no one reviewed it until she watched it on the first day of the misdemeanor trial in June. She relied on officers’ accounts in building her case, she said.
    “I thought it was reasonable that Veth Mam had been involved in this altercation before filming,” she said. “The video did not show the whole story.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/upda...graphic-image/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 05-10-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Police Violently Beat Gentle Homeless and Mentally-Ill Man to Death (Warning: Graphic Image) + 3 videos

Posted on July 27, 2011 at 9:30pm
    by Billy Hallowell
    Comments (457)
    videos at the link; several non transferrable

The local community in Fullerton, California, has been shaken by the violent death of Kelly Thomas, a homeless man who suffered from schizophrenia. On July 5, a local student caught some raw footage of police officers utilizing a Taser to subdue Thomas after he purportedly resisted arrest. According to sources, the man was beaten so profusely that he was placed on life support and then died several days later.

Thomas caught the attention of police offers after someone reported that a burglar was breaking into cars that were parked at the local bus station. When cops then approached Thomas and attempted to arrest him, he resisted. This is where the story takes a bizarre turn and the facts get murky. According to Gawker, Mark Turgeon, a witness to the police beating, claims that Thomas wasnt at all resisting arrest: http://gawker.com/5825010/police-beat-g ... n-to-death

They kept beating him and Tasering him. I could hear zapping, and he wasnt even moving. He had one arm in front of him like this, he wasnt resisting. And they kept telling him, Hes resisting, quit resisting, and he wasnt resisting.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1cf_1311977529
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 05-10-2012 at 05:35 PM.

District Attorney finds 'no evidence' that homeless man beaten to death by police had been intentionally killed

By Daniel Miller
    UPDATED: 03:18 EST, 9 August 2011

A District Attorney claims he's seen no evidence that police had intentionally tried to kill a homeless man who died after being beaten to a bloody pulp by six officers.

Schizophrenic Kelly Thomas, 37, died after resisting arrest in the college town of Fullerton in Orange County.

Video of the incident shows police officers beating and tasering Mr Thomas repeatedly as he lies on the floor crying out for his father.

Scroll down for video

Dead: Mentally ill homeless man Kelly Thomas, 37, was beaten and tasered to death by police for allegedly 'resisting arrest'

Shocking: This picture shows the extent of the injuries Thomas received after being beaten up by six police officers

Eye witnesses said he was unable to offer any resistance as he was beaten beyond recognition by the officers who were responding to reports of a break-in.

But Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said he'd seen no evidence to suggest Thomas had been intentionally killed.

He told the Los Angeles Times: 'As far as intentional killing — whether an officer intended to kill him ... I have not seen any evidence of that in this case.'

Rackauckas is trying to establish whether excessive force was used during the incident on July 5 this year.

The coroner's office is waiting for results of toxicology tests before they can determine the cause of death.

Thomas was left in a critical condition having suffered severe head and neck injuries in the attack.

He was taken off life support and died five days after the incident.

Video: Thomas' body can be made out surrounded by officers on the ground as a woman screams at them to stop as they taser him for the fifth time

Father: Ron Thomas has been passing out flyers seeking answers near the scene where the run-in with police left his son brain-damaged

His death has sparked outrage in the suburb southeast of Los Angeles.

According to reports Thomas - who suffered from schizophrenia - caught the attention of the police after someone reported a burglar was breaking into cars parked near a Fullerton bus station.

When officers approached him in the depot parking lot and tried to arrest him, he resisted.

Eye witnesses Mark Turgeon, said: 'They kept beating him and tasering him. I could hear zapping, and he wasn't even moving.
    'He had one arm in front of him like this, he wasn't resisting. And they kept telling him, "He's resisting, quit resisting", and he wasn't resisting.'

Members of the Fullerton community described Thomas as a passive, peaceful person.

He had a previous conviction for assault with a deadly weapon 16 years ago which had been attributed to the onset of his mental illness.

Since his death, his family and members of the community have held protests outside the police department headquarters, looking for answers.

His father Ron Thomas, a former sheriff's deputy, claims he rejected a compensation offer of almost $1million, and plans to sue the city of Fullerton.

He said: 'His death was gang-involved, the way I see it. A gang of rogue officers who brutally beat my son to death.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ly-killed.html
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 05-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    Caught on tape: Police 'stripped unarmed man naked, kicked, beat and tasered him as he lay screaming in snow' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -snow.html
    It looked like the guy didn't have his hands in his pockets, and the cop was showboating for the camera. I guess he was a bad dude.

Quote" Humphreys County sheriff's deputies Tim Hedge, James McCord and Benjie Lee, along with Waverly Police Department officer Joe Parnell, have all now been placed on leave."end quote

Placed on leave hell, they should get the same treatment they dished out, maybe . it is also a lesson for Americans. Don't go out and get drunk, and expect folks not to take advantage of you.
    The Lord is my Sheperd, I shall not want.

AMERICA TODAY: Heartbreaking Pictures From New Jersey's Homeless 'Tent City'

Robert Johnson|Sep. 8, 2011, 2:52 PM|605,668|142

Robert Johnson

Google Maps
    Doug Hardman wakes up every morning with a song in his head—a vague memory of his days on stage.Inside his tepee in the woods outside Lakewood, NJ, at the homeless Tent City, the roosters wake early and the mornings are already cooler. A musician who lost his Florida home in the housing crisis, Hardman says he floats in and out of Tent City, that he's proud of his kids, and misses the life he no longer has.
    He has a lot of company out here.
    Click here for the pictures and story >

Tent City made the news recently and while community leader Steven Brigham says the media attention brought in greater donations, it also brought unwanted attention from the local politicians.
    After battling with the city for years to have access to the public land here, Brigham found a New Jersey lawyer to represent his case pro bono.
    The attorney, Jeff Wild, argued that the homeless population are part of the public and should therefore have access to public lands. Rather than take the case to court, Lakewood City Council settled, and Brigham signed an agreement to put up no more shelters and allow no more than 70 people to stay.

But last winter the community put up three wooden structures to house everyone and keep them warm.

"We didn't lose anybody last year," Brigham says, "and nobody got sick."
    This year could be different. After City Council members saw the shelters on TV, they sent demolition crews in. The walls were torn down around whatever was inside, and meager furnishings were left to the elements.

This year, the tent city's residents will have to put wood-stoves in tents and plastic shanties, increasing fire risk. Brigham says the town is making it impossible to survive there, hoping to get the homeless out, and he's concerned it will end up killing people this year.

More than 700,000 people are currently homeless in the U.S. and the number has grown 20 percent from 2007 to 2010.

A recent UN report says the way the U.S. denies its citizens access to water, basic sanitation, and criminalizes homelessness is a violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.

Brigham can relate. He started the camp five years ago and more people show up every year. Some stay, some find part-time work where they can, move on, and wind up coming back.

"There's a real glut of low-skilled manual labor in the area," he says. "There's just nothing for people to do."

Brigham works as a high-voltage electrical contractor on the bridges and tunnels around New York, but his mission is here in the Lakewood forest.
    "I found this spot that had no underbrush, which is very unusual," he says, "and this community's become a living protest."
    I ask him what he means, and he says, "We're protesting the insincerity of the political system. It's supposed to be for the people and its ot." (Reverend Steve Brigham can be reached at P.O. Box 326, Lakewood, NJ 08701)

Outside the town of Lakewood New Jersey, across from this intersection...

Robert Johnson

70 people live at this homeless camp in the woods

Robert Johnson

Some people have lived here for years and consider it their home

Robert Johnson

The camp is run by Reverend Steven Brigham and welcomes residents from all walks of life

Robert Johnson

Food comes in sporadically, like these baked goods from a local grocery store

Robert Johnson

Nina is from Poland and according to Steve, moved into camp when her husband kicked her out (she's eating borscht)

Robert Johnson

This is Nina's shanty

Robert Johnson

She has family in Poland that she misses very much

Robert Johnson

She has car batteries rigged up for power

Robert Johnson

This is musician Doug Hardman who plays piano for the church services -- watch a video of him playing below

Robert Johnson

Video of Doug Hardman playing piano.

Doug lives in this tee-pee

Robert Johnson

Even with all the rain from Irene the inside is dry and smells like old smoke

Robert Johnson

Daily essentials

Robert Johnson

Elwood Hyers lives here and decorated the outside of his shanty with stuff he found behind a Dollar Store

Robert Johnson

Elwood caught a felony drug charge and with a record he's has been unable to get on his feet

Robert Johnson

Elwood lives with Cynthia Vellinga who decorated the inside

Robert Johnson

This woman and her boyfriend didn't want their kids to recognize them online

Robert Johnson

But they live here and allowed me inside

Robert Johnson

The living room

Robert Johnson

Walls insulated with old sleeping bags, the firewood supply, and a litter box filled with sand

Robert Johnson

Their bedroom

Robert Johnson

The vanity mirror and toilet in the background

Robert Johnson

The chimney design to keep the place from burning down in the winter

Robert Johnson

Marilyn and Mike lost their NYC jobs in the recession - ran down their savings and had nowhere else to go

Robert Johnson

They raise chickens and rehabilitate birds -- they have a tent and the chickens have a tent

Robert Johnson

This is their kitchen under a tarp and Marilyn is filtering a cup of coffee

Robert Johnson

There are public facilities like toilets

Robert Johnson

A wash house

Robert Johnson

With a shower and water heated by an electric oven coil

Robert Johnson

A washer and dryer

Robert Johnson

A mirror and washtub

Robert Johnson

And a basket of toiletries by the door

Robert Johnson

There's also a kitchen

Robert Johnson

Currently filled with food from a wedding and donated by the party house

Robert Johnson

The chef lives here

Robert Johnson

There's a chicken crossing sign painted by Marilyn

Robert Johnson

Chickens are everywhere -- the eggs hatch and the birds never get slaughtered -- they keep down the number of bugs

Clover Robert Johnson

Rabbits are also supposed to be abundant

Robert Johnson

But the only one I saw was in a cage

Robert Johnson

There's a public garden named for a young girl who died from cancer

Robert Johnson

A food storage shed

Robert Johnson

A bell/empty oxygen cylinder - calls people to church - listen to it ring below

Robert Johnson

Video of Steve ringing the cylinder with a monkey wrench.

A church that was torn down

Robert Johnson

A group of Mormon missionaries were there Saturday helping chop wood for winter

Robert Johnson

The camp will go through a stack this size, every day, all winter long

Robert Johnson

Fires are not unheard of

Robert Johnson

Which is why community sleep houses like this were put up - to keep everyone warm and safe in the winter

Robert Johnson

But the town came in and tore them all down

Robert Johnson

Leaving a mess and a winter filled with wood-burning fires inside everyone's tents and shanties

Robert Johnson

Despite their situation, people here still love their country

Robert Johnson

Even if there's no place for them and the people on Main Street want them gone

Robert Johnson

Unfortunately this problem is getting worse

15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Inequality In America >

http://www.businessinsider.com/lakewood ... 011-9?op=1
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-06-2012 at 08:08 PM.

bttt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast