Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Air travelers now must show ID to clear checkpoint

Air travelers now must show ID to clear checkpoint
    By BRYON OKADAokada@star-telegram.com

D/FW AIRPORT — Every once in a while an air traveler will refuse to show identification at security checkpoints arguing that the government doesn’t have the right to ask to "see one’s papers."

Well, starting today, any passengers who willfully refuse to show identification won’t be allowed through the checkpoints.

"They’re refusing to comply with the security processes," said Andrea McCauley, a spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration.

What if I lost my ID?

On average, about 300 airline passengers a day go through airport security nationwide without identification.

They lost it.

It was stolen.

They forgot and left it at home.

All are legitimate reasons, say officials with the TSA, and with some extra screening they’ll be fine.

Are there privacy concerns?

Some privacy advocates worry that this may be another step toward Americans having to carry documentation for any sort of travel.

In addition, smaller programs like this, applicable to just a few people, can be seen as precursors to more widespread federal programs such as REAL ID.

What is REAL ID?

Congress passed the REAL ID Act in 2005, and it went into effect May 11. It is intended to make it more difficult to acquire a fake driver’s license or ID card and was endorsed by the 9/11 Commission as a way to fight terrorism. States are required to overhaul driver’s licenses and ID cards, which will likely cost tens of millions of dollars, and encode them with hard-to-fake data on the face of the card, such as:

information and security features to prevent fraud;

proof of identity and U.S. citizenship or legal status;

verification of the source documents for personal information;

security measures by the offices that issue licenses and identification cards.

Texas and other states have gained extensions for implementing REAL ID, so a current driver’s license is still acceptable as a form of ID for boarding federally regulated airplanes, or accessing federal facilities or nuclear power plants. For more information, go to www.dhs.gov and search for REAL ID.

On Friday, the DHS announced $80 million in state grants to push REAL ID forward. Texas received $3.2 million.

Am I excluded from REAL ID if I’m an undocumented immigrant?

It looks that way. States must verify an applicant’s lawful status in the U.S. before issuing a REAL ID license or card. (The REAL ID Act does not prohibit a state from issuing noncompliant driver’s licenses and state identification. Those, however, cannot be accepted by federal agencies for official purposes, including boarding commercial aircraft, and must be clearly marked as not acceptable for federal purposes.)

BRYON OKADA, 817-390-7752

http://www.star-telegram.com/travel/story/714015.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

BACKDOOR COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION: AMNESTY! JUST WATCH! THAT REAL ID WILL HELP THE ILLEGALS!

From above:

States must verify an applicant’s lawful status in the U.S. before issuing a REAL ID license or card. (The REAL ID Act does not prohibit a state from issuing noncompliant driver’s licenses and state identification. Those, however, cannot be accepted by federal agencies for official purposes, including boarding commercial aircraft, and must be clearly marked as not acceptable for federal purposes.)
    Here we go the act allows a state to issue a noncompliance "driver's licenses and state identification....which have to be marked so federal" ... will not do this or that.....

Isn't this fine and dandy! Are the states going to have ICE at every DMV in the nation? Does our government in North Carolina realize how crowded our DMV were a short time, ago? Due to the illegal population, that has not been made leave the country/state.

What is bothering me with this is illegals can get noncompliance! (BENEFIT FOR BEING HERE ILLEGAL) (Why?)
    And
    Legal aliens will get compliance REAL ID!

From the way it sounds?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am opposed to REAL ID. When it came out, I supported it because I thought it meant an immigrant would have to have a REAL ID. But then I read the fine print and only AMERICANS are required to have a REAL ID.

So screw their REAL ID.

REAL AMERICANS don't need a REAL ID because we've already got either a REAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE or a REAL NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE on file to prove it.

The only REAL ID needed by anyone is a legal immigrant who should be issued one at the time of legal entry into the US.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Mexican illegal aliens can obtain a passport at the Mexican consulate and be allowed to fly.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    I am opposed to REAL ID. When it came out, I supported it because I thought it meant an immigrant would have to have a REAL ID. But then I read the fine print and only AMERICANS are required to have a REAL ID.

So screw their REAL ID.

REAL AMERICANS don't need a REAL ID because we've already got either a REAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE or a REAL NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE on file to prove it.

The only REAL ID needed by anyone is a legal immigrant who should be issued one at the time of legal entry into the US.
    I agree Judy.

In my opinion the REAL ID is just another step our government is taking to police us and regulate us to death.

It sure is Doots. We've got to stop the REAL ID. You know it's an invention of the Canadians. They came down here selling their "technology" and bunch of Congresstraitors bought into it.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn