Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by April
    Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Quote Originally Posted by millere
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaTurtle

This is a Congressional procedure and it has happened before-

You're right. I did a quick Google and from what I saw, using martial law in Congress has almost become a matter of routine.

There's bunches of those resolutions out there.
    Well it might have run into a brick wall because they have their own members narking them out on this one. This presents a problem for them and their credibility.

I believe you're right April.

And I think it's of absolute historical proportions that even their own party members are going after these people.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I called Kanjorski (Barletta's opponent) and left a msg with his answering service "I like to leave a message for Representative Kanjorski" ... he said "Okay" I said "I am *** **** and I'm one of his constituents, and I want him to vote NO WAY to the bailout" he said "your phone number?" and I told him .. then he said he would pass my message along.
    The flag flies at half-mast out of grief for the death of my beautiful, formerly-free America. May God have mercy on your souls.
    RIP USA 7/4/1776 - 11/04/2008

Pelosi got up to speak for her henchmen just a little bit ago. Now, they're waiting for the Republicans to speak. I'm keeping an eye on this on Fox.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Here's the website to get that bill, but I can't get it to come up. Everybody in the country must be trying to get a look at this.

finacialservices@house.gov

This is the site Fox News gave out, but it's an email. What is going on? Anyway Fox News said they would have this bill up on their site shortly.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

April
    LETS NOT GIVE UP AND NOT GIVE IN, WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

THEY WANT US TO GO AWAY!!! THEY PRETEND THAT WE DO NOT COUNT AND WE SAY WE DO AND WE WILL NOT PAY FOR THE GREED AND EXCESS OF YOUR FATCATS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by USA_born
    I BELIEVE WHAT HE SAYS! WE HAVE GOT TO STOP THEM! NO BAI
    LOUT! Evil or Very Mad

And how do you propose we do that? Maybe we could pop off another email?
    We can call, email and fax. Doing NOTHING wont get us anywhere. At least we can try with all our might to fight this damn thing.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Quote Originally Posted by USA_born
    I BELIEVE WHAT HE SAYS! WE HAVE GOT TO STOP THEM! NO BAI
    LOUT! Evil or Very Mad

And how do you propose we do that? Maybe we could pop off another email?
    We can call, email and fax. Doing NOTHING wont get us anywhere. At least we can try with all our might to fight this damn thing.
    ABSOLUTELY BB, THEY WANT US TO SHUT UP SO WE DEFINITELY CANNOT DO THAT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!!!!

* Rescue bill released

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The federal government would provide as much as $700 billion in a far-reaching plan to rescue the nation's troubled financial system, according to a bill posted online by leading Democratic lawmakers on Sunday.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she hopes the House will take up the bill on Monday. Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he believes the Senate can move on the legislation as early as Wednesday.

Pelosi said the provisions added by Democrats will protect taxpayers from having to pay for the bailout.

"We sent a message to Wall Street - the party is over," she said at a press conference with Reid and other Democratic leaders from the House and Senate.

The core of the bill is based on Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's request for authority to purchase troubled assets from financial institutions so banks can resume lending and so the credit markets, now virtually frozen, can begin to operate more normally.

But Democrats and Republicans - concerned about the potential taxpayer cost - have added several conditions and restrictions. Key negotiators for the financial rescue plan will be busy trying to line up votes on Capitol Hill on Sunday to support the accord they reached soon after midnight.

Among the provisions of the draft bill:

* The $700 billion would be disbursed in stages, with $250 billion made available immediately for the Treasury's use.
    * Curbs will be placed on the compensation of executives at companies that sell mortgage assets to Treasury. Among them, companies that participate will not be able to deduct the salary they pay to executives above $500,000.
    * An oversight board will be created. The board will include the Federal Reserve chairman, the Securities and Exchange Commission chairman, the Federal Home Finance Agency director and the Housing and Urban Development secretary.
    * Treasury is allowed the option to take ownership stakes in participating companies under certain circumstances.
    * Treasury may establish an insurance program - with risk-based premiums paid by the industry - to guarantee companies' troubled assets, including mortgage-backed securities, purchased before March 14, 2008.
    * One provision requires the president to propose legislation to recoup losses from the financial industry if the rescue plan results in net losses to taxpayers five years after the plan is enacted.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson first announced the administration would seek an economic bailout plan on Sept. 18, after meeting with key lawmakers in the House and Senate - a meeting that left lawmakers looking ashen when they spoke to the press afterwards.

If enacted, the rescue plan would be the most dramatic and extensive government intervention in the economy since the Great Depression. President Bush on Sept. 24 gave a prime-time address to the nation in which he urged lawmakers to pass his plan and warned that the "entire economy is in danger."

The aim of the rescue is to unfreeze the credit markets - short-term lending among banks and corporations. The core of the problem is bad real estate loans that have led to record foreclosures when the housing bubble burst and home prices declined.

In the past two weeks, the banking world and Wall Street have been reordered by a wave of collapses and corporate mergers. The most recent development was the seizure by federal regulators on Thursday night of Washington Mutual, once the nation's largest thrift and a major mortgage lender.
    Pain on Main Street, risk to taxpayers

The chill of the credit freeze has been felt far beyond Wall Street, as well. Businesses large and small have seen the cost of borrowing spike higher.

At the same time, the scale of the administration's plan - and the quick pace of the debate over it - has given pause to many Americans and lawmakers worried about its potential cost to taxpayers.

"We begin with a very important task, a task to stabilize the markets, to protect all Americans - and do it in a way that protects the taxpayer to the maximum extent possible," Paulson said early Sunday morning.

CNN's Jessica Yellin contributed to this report.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly reported that Congress had publicly released the draft bill CNN obtained. To top of page

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/28/news/ec ... tm?cnn=yes

April
    We sent a message to Wall Street - the party is over," she said at a press conference with Reid and other Democratic leaders from the House and Senate.
    What a load of BS.......WE ARE SENDING A MESSAGE TO YOU PELOSI!!! WE ARE NOT FOOLS AND WE ARE NOT FOOTING THE BILL ON THIS!!! THE PARTY IS OVER!!!

This might also be interesting from Wikipedia:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_martial_law

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast