Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama 'green jobs' adviser quits amid controversy

Sep 6, 8:45 AM (ET)

By WILL LESTER

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama's environmental adviser Van Jones, who became embroiled in a controversy over past inflammatory statements, has resigned his White House job after what he calls a "vicious smear campaign against me."

The resignation, announced early Sunday, came as Obama is working to regain his footing in the contentious health care debate.

Jones, an administration official specializing in environmentally friendly "green jobs" with the White House Council on Environmental Quality was linked to efforts suggesting a government role in the 2001 terror attacks and to derogatory comments about Republicans.

Jones issued an apology on Thursday for his past statements. When asked the next day whether Obama still had confidence in him, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said only that Jones "continues to work in the administration."

The matter surfaced after news reports of a derogatory comment Jones made in the past about Republicans, and separately, of Jones's name appearing on a petition connected to the events surrounding the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. That 2004 petition had asked for congressional hearings and other investigations into whether high-level government officials had allowed the attacks to occur.

"On the eve of historic fights for health care and clean energy, opponents of reform have mounted a vicious smear campaign against me," Jones said in his resignation statement. "They are using lies and distortions to distract and divide."

Jones said he has been "inundated with calls from across the political spectrum urging me to stay and fight."

But he said he cannot in good conscience ask his colleagues to spend time and energy defending or explaining his past.

Jones flatly said in an earlier statement that he did not agree with the petition's stand on the Sept. 11 attacks and that "it certainly does not reflect my views, now or ever."

As for his other comments he made before joining Obama's team, Jones said, "If I have offended anyone with statements I made in the past, I apologize."

Despite his apologies, Republicans demanded Jones quit.

Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana said in a statement, "His extremist views and coarse rhetoric have no place in this administration or the public debate." Missouri Sen. Christopher "Kit" Bond said Congress should investigate Jones's fitness for the job.

Fox News Channel host Glenn Beck repeatedly denounced Jones after a group the adviser co-founded, ColorofChange.org, led an advertising boycott against Beck's show to protest his claim that Obama is a racist.

James Rucker, the organization's executive director, has said Jones had nothing to do with ColorofChange.org now and didn't even know about the campaign before it started.

Jones, well-known in the environmental movement, was a civil-rights activist in California before shifting his attention to environmental and energy issues. He is known for laying out a broad vision of a green economy. Conservatives have harshly criticized him for having left-wing political views.

Nancy Sutley, chair of the council, said in a statement released early Sunday that she accepts Jones resignation and thanked him for his service.

"Over the last six months, he had been a strong voice for creating jobs that improve energy efficiency and utilize renewable resources," she said. "We appreciate his hard work and wish him the best moving forward."

---

Associated Press writer Philip Elliott contributed to this report.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090906/D9AHQTNG1.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank god! The rest are next, that's the power of the people in action!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/09/ ... signation/

FOX NEWS POLL

Was resigning the right move?
    Yes.
    No.
    I'm not sure.

results when i voted:

Yes. 98% (22,767 votes)
    No. 2% (354 votes)
    I'm not sure. <1% (97 votes)

Total Votes: 23,218

Text of Resignation Letter From Van Jones
    Resignation letter from Obama adviser Van Jones, sent to Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley.

FOXNews.com
    Sunday, September 06, 2009

175 Comments |
    "I am resigning my post at the Council on Environmental Quality, effective today.

On the eve of historic fights for health care and clean energy, opponents of reform have mounted a vicious smear campaign against me. They are using lies and distortions to distract and divide.

I have been inundated with calls - from across the political spectrum - urging me to "stay and fight."

But I came here to fight for others, not for myself. I cannot in good conscience ask my colleagues to expend precious time and energy defending or explaining my past. We need all hands on deck, fighting for the future.

It has been a great honor to serve my country and my President in this capacity. I thank everyone who has offered support and encouragement. I am proud to have been able to make a contribution to the clean energy future. I will continue to do so, in the months and years ahead."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/electio ... van-jones/

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    Text of Resignation Letter From Van Jones
    Resignation letter from Obama adviser Van Jones, sent to Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley.

FOXNews.com
    Sunday, September 06, 2009

175 Comments |
    "I am resigning my post at the Council on Environmental Quality, effective today.

On the eve of historic fights for health care and clean energy, opponents of reform have mounted a vicious smear campaign against me. They are using lies and distortions to distract and divide.

I have been inundated with calls - from across the political spectrum - urging me to "stay and fight."

But I came here to fight for others, not for myself. I cannot in good conscience ask my colleagues to expend precious time and energy defending or explaining my past. We need all hands on deck, fighting for the future.

It has been a great honor to serve my country and my President in this capacity. I thank everyone who has offered support and encouragement. I am proud to have been able to make a contribution to the clean energy future. I will continue to do so, in the months and years ahead."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/electio ... van-jones/
    Isn't this just the kind of bulls**t you'd expect from this creep? Blame everyone but yourself, right Jones? After all, you did nothing wrong, it was all just a big smear campaign against you!
    LGBTQ (Let's Get Biden To Quit)

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-169742.html
    Howard Dean: Jones' Resignation a 'Loss for the Country'

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-169720.html
    What does Nancy Pelosi think of Van Jones?

Let's see which hole he crawls into now...trust me, we haven't heard the last of this creep. Obama threw him under the bus like he will anyone else in order to maintain his grip on power.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Fox News Sunday is going to be talking about this,
    and its on Fox news channel right now till the top of the hour

Here's somebody who probably won't be running for governor of California much longer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSn37TMXZO8
    LGBTQ (Let's Get Biden To Quit)

Great win for the Conservatives!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast