Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California Secretive Expansion by Military Firm Blackwater

Podcasting & Torrents
    DN! Audio & Video Podcasts
    Story »
    May 02, 2008

Southern California Residents Gear Up for New Fight to Stop Secretive Expansion by Military Firm Blackwater
    Just two months after local opposition thwarted its effort to build a massive outdoor training facility near San Diego, the private military company Blackwater USA is being accused of secretly trying to build a new one just blocks from the US-Mexico border. Blackwater received approval for the 61,000 square-foot indoor facility in Otay Mesa, California, by filing for permits using the names of two subsidiaries. [includes rush transcript]

Help

Printer-friendly version

Email to a friend

Purchase DVD/CD
    LISTEN
    WATCH Real Video Stream

Real Audio Stream

MP3 Download

More…

Guests:

Raymond Lutz, Local resident who has fought Blackwater’s expansion into the San Diego region. He runs the websites stopblackwater.net and Citizens Oversight.

Rep. Bob Filner, Democratic Congress member representing California’s 51st congressional district.

Rush Transcript
    This transcript is available free of charge. However, donations help us provide closed captioning for the deaf and hard of hearing on our TV broadcast. Thank you for your generous contribution.
    Donate - $25, $50, $100, More...

AMY GOODMAN: We’re on the road in San Diego. The private security company Blackwater USA is being accused of trying to secretly build a military training facility in San Diego, right here, just blocks from the US-Mexican border. Blackwater received approval for the 61,000 square-foot indoor facility in Otay Mesa, California, by filing for permits using the names of two subsidiaries. It was only last week when San Diego officials learned Blackwater was behind the project.

The news comes just two months after local residents successfully blocked Blackwater from opening an 824-acre military complex known as Blackwater West in the rural hamlet of Potrero, California.

Opposition is now growing to Blackwater’s plans in Otay Mesa. Last week, Democratic Congressmember Bob Filner led a protest at the site of Blackwater’s future facility. Several local officials question how Blackwater’s presence will affect US-Mexican relations. The site is located just three blocks from the international border.

Joining me here in San Diego in the PBS station KPBS is Raymond Lutz. He is a local resident who has fought Blackwater’s expansion into the San Diego region. He runs the websites stopblackwater.net and citizensoversight.org.
    We’re also joined on the telephone by Democratic Congressmember Bob Filner. He joins us from Washington, D.C.

We did invite Blackwater to join us on the program, but the spokesperson Anne Tyrrell said no one from the company was available.

Ray Lutz, lay out the story right now.

RAYMOND LUTZ: Well, I got the tip from an anonymous like yahoo.com email address person who said he was an ex-friend of a former Blackwater employee. He told me that this site was being put in and was ready to open. I drove down to check it out, and indeed I could see the ventilation equipment out the back of the building, which is apparently necessary for the indoor shooting range that they’re intending to put in. I went down to—and I checked all the news media at the time and everyone I could find. No one had heard anything about this.

They had secretly started this last September, about a month before our big rally out in Potrero. So the rally really had an effect. In other words, at that time, they were saying, “We’re throwing in the towelâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Several local officials question how Blackwater’s presence will affect US-Mexican relations. The site is located just three blocks from the international border.
    Thats a receipe for DISASTER!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I just read a day or two ago that Blackwater plans a large training compound for North Idaho.

Be aware of some very tricky laws coming down the pike in the next few months . The people in power know about this and said nothing . I take that to mean "They don't like us" . To say it nicely
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*