Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Maybe this was a trick question, but my point was simply that a person wishing to use a public utility or rent a car or fly on an airplane must allow himself to be identified before he makes a phone call or rents a car or flies on an airplane.
    Ok. To butt heads once again.... the home is a private sanctuary, an airplane or utility is of public domain, hence more security is deemed necessary for the public good. Its a question really of private vs public domains.

Caller ID is for privacy, primarily. It also not something that everyone deems necessary, it is an optional service some of us employ. You willingly give up that right when you call me, since I employ the use of Caller ID.

I willingly give up the right to privacy when I make use of the public domain. A business or transportation provider such as an airline has more at stake since it is in the public domain and held to a higher standard than an individual.

Quote Originally Posted by gofer
    My policy: NO ID - NO ANSWER!
    Yep, that's my policy too
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by RealID
    Maybe this was a trick question, but my point was simply that a person wishing to use a public utility or rent a car or fly on an airplane must allow himself to be identified before he makes a phone call or rents a car or flies on an airplane.
    Ok. To butt heads once again.... the home is a private sanctuary, an airplane or utility is of public domain, hence more security is deemed necessary for the public good. Its a question really of private vs public domains.

Caller ID is for privacy, primarily. It also not something that everyone deems necessary, it is an optional service some of us employ. You willingly give up that right when you call me, since I employ the use of Caller ID.

I willingly give up the right to privacy when I make use of the public domain. A business or transportation provider such as an airline has more at stake since it is in the public domain and held to a higher standard than an individual.
    The question of privacy was directed at the person using a public utility in making the call rather than the person receiving the call. That's why it's called Caller ID. We agree that Caller ID is a good program, and we agree that a caller should be forced to show his identity when using a public telephone utility to call someone.

Caller ID prohibits privacy for the identity information of the Caller in the same way that Real ID prohibits privacy for the identity information of the airline passenger. The airline has a right to know the identity of its customers just as any person has the right to know the identity of whoever is calling him.
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Quote Originally Posted by gofer
    My policy: NO ID - NO ANSWER!
    Yep, that's my policy too
    And NO ID - NO AIRLINE TICKET as well, or do you think an ID should not be necessary to buy an airline ticket?

Calling someone and getting on an airplane are two entirely different acts.

One is done in almost total privacy, the other is entirely public.

One is benign (with some exception) regarding public safety, the other, by definition, is inherently always borderline.

One requires the permission of others beforehand, the other does not.

etc.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

PhredE,

Good one. I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Calling someone and getting on an airplane are two entirely different acts.

One is done in almost total privacy, the other is entirely public.

One is benign (with some exception) regarding public safety, the other, by definition, is inherently always borderline.

One requires the permission of others beforehand, the other does not.

etc.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

What are you saying? Are you saying a caller must give up his right to privacy by releasing his ID to the person he is calling, or are you saying a person buying an airline ticket must give up his right to privacy by releasing his ID information to the airline? You mention that one of the two involves public safety. Are you referring to boarding an airliner as the greatest threat to public safety?

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    A caller ID is not an invasion of privacy.

If you call without one, I WILL NOT ANSWER your call!

If you dont want me to know who you are, then you are probably selling something. And If I want to buy something, I will make a call myself.

I belong to the DO NO CALL list. Thank goodness for them.
    A Caller ID does justifiably invade the privacy of the Caller by making him reveal his ID when calling you. The Caller ID is a good law even though it deprives the Caller of maintaining the privacy of his identity.

The Caller ID law makes the Caller reveal his identity just like the Real ID law makes an airline passenger reveal his identity before boarding a public aircraft.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123