Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Now all of you have gotten me hungry and remembering when I went fishing as a kid in the Chesapeake Bay for bluefish. Best way to fix them was Shake n Bake and slow bake them.
    Smelts! I remember buying pounds of them and they were about 4-5 inches long and fabulous. Just recently ran down to get fresh smelts from the local grocery store, got two pounds and they were 2 inches long cleaned at the most. Pan frying these little ones, they turned to mush.
    Years ago there was a report in Florida that the fish were getting smaller and smaller in size.
    The old Florida fishermen I talked to were really upset with the new crowd, as they used to respect breeding season. Mullet fishermen especially used to stop during the season, but all of a sudden the Japanese started demanding mullet roe, and the whole population was overfished. That along with the pollution has taken a heavy toll on Gulf and FL rivers populations.
    My first fishing trip at about 4 years old, my bait was seedless grapes. Lost all my grapes and didn't catch a thing.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    My first fishing trip at about 4 years old, my bait was seedless grapes. Lost all my grapes and didn't catch a thing.
    LOL Never heard of using grapes!

Hylander_1314 wrote:

Best part, I painted it like dad's boat from back when,which is the old colors of the Sheriff's boats, and in the "NO WAKE" zones down by the yachtclub, people have slowed down because they see my boat from a distance.
    We would get picked up by the Harbor master for water skiiing in the NO WAKE ZONE!

THEY CAN'T OUTLAW FISHING!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

We would get picked up by the Harbor master for water skiiing in the NO WAKE ZONE!
    That is just plain funny!

I got popped a couple times in my little 8ft outboard bulletnose racing boat. I was skippin' down the canal which was stupid in the first place, but the speed limit was only 5 knots in there. And I think I was doin' around 40, 45 knots. Just the prop in the water.

It's a wonder I'm still suckin' air!

It's that midwest attitude, "here, hold my beer, and watch this!"

Okay, I just have to jump in here. Where I live here in northern Idaho, there are over 50 lakes and streams within a 50 mile radius. We have some really huge salmon in our lakes. But my favorite is walking the creeks and catching the little brookies. If we get tired of that, we stop and pan for gold. One stop shop.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I like the idea of pannin'! After 30 years of trout fishin' in Colorado and Wyoming, I' happy to back in bass and pike country.

Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    Okay, I just have to jump in here. Where I live here in northern Idaho, there are over 50 lakes and streams within a 50 mile radius. We have some really huge salmon in our lakes. But my favorite is walking the creeks and catching the little brookies. If we get tired of that, we stop and pan for gold. One stop shop.
    I want to get into gold. I bought a Bounty Hunter metal detector and a bunch of books. I should try the panning way first because I've never done it or seen it done. I just need to go out and try it somewhere. it might come in hand during our Depression!
    Dick Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
    That is just plain funny!

Do you ice fish?

We have a couple that lives on the ice in the nicest 2 story ice house. The loft is their bedroomIt's all wood walls, floor and ceiling. Has a kitchen, and generator for electricity, heats by woodstove, chemical toilet and gravity fed shower, plus a nice built-in bookcase.

My brother wants to get into building small nice shanties that are on floats and they go on lakes. He would rent them out and their parking space. Who knows it might come to house boats for us all!
    Dick Morris

I tried a few times, but never caught anything with ice................

Actually, I used to, but sitting on the ice even in a shanty, the knees start to ache from the years of hard work. So I wait for the "soft" water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12