Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Charles Grassley calls for ban on hiring of foreign workers

Charles Grassley calls for ban on hiring of foreign workers at ailing US banks

The row over potentially protectionist policies in the US has stepped up a gear after a leading Senator called for a ban on foreign hiring at those banks and companies being bailed out by the US government.

By James Quinn, Wall Street Correspondent
    Last Updated: 11:17AM GMT 06 Feb 2009

Senator Charles Grassley, who hit the headlines earlier this week after suggesting Microsoft sack foreign workers before Americans, is attempting to insert wording into President Barack Obama’s near-$900bn fiscal stimulus plan that would effectively stop many banks hiring non-US citizens.

Senator Grassley, working with independent Senator Bernie Sanders, has introduced an amendment to the bill to ensure that workers holding H1-B visa’s cannot work for taxpayer-funded banks.

The move, were it to become law, might require many of America’s leading banks to axe thousands of foreign staff currently in the US on a H1-B, which allow foreign nationals with special skills to work in America.

It is thought that the banking industry has applied for in excess of 21,000 H1-B visas over the last six years, often for jobs in technology-related areas.

“With the unemployment rate at 7.2pc, there is no need for companies to hire foreign workers through the H1-B programme when there are plenty of qualified Americans looking for jobs," said Senator Grassley. "If banks are going to be getting American taxpayer money -- then they should be hiring American workers," he added.

There is no guarantee that the two Senators proposals will become law, given the fact that the fiscal stimulus bill remains the subject of intense debate between both sides of the political divide, and between both the Senate and the House.

In addition, President Obama’s latest choice for Commerce Secretary, Senator Judd Gregg, is a well-known advocate of the H1-B programme, and is likely to lobby against this new clause being let in through the back-door.

Senator Grassley’s move is likely to inflame the protectionist debate that the deepest global downturn since the 1930s is fuelling.

Late on Wednesday night, the US Senate watered down the original wording of a “Buy Americaâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Grassley's heart always seems to be in the right place. Too bad he doesn't have more power.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    “With the unemployment rate at 7.2pc, there is no need for companies to hire foreign workers through the H1-B programme when there are plenty of qualified Americans looking for jobs," said Senator Grassley. "If banks are going to be getting American taxpayer money -- then they should be hiring American workers," he added.
    The article writer, Mr. Quinn, makes it sound like Sen. Grassley is wrong for looking out for American workers.

This was my first clue regarding Quinn's bias:

Senator Grassley’s move is likely to inflame the protectionist debate that the deepest global downturn since the 1930s is fuelling.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If he is talking about workers imported to do a job, like H1b visa holders, I agree with him. If he is talking about permanent resident green card holders, I STRONGLY oppose.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So once again, we're supposed to make it possible and then just hand it over to everyone else.......HELLO>>>>>we need to eat too!!!!!

If he is talking about workers imported to do a job, like H1b visa holders, I agree with him. If he is talking about permanent resident green card holders, I STRONGLY oppose
    I believe he just means the visa holders.....other people immigrating here legally to live here are in the same boat with the rest of us.....they need to work too and aren't just here as a temporary job service to make money to send home and plan to go home when times get hard or they've collected enough money to go home and live well.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    If he is talking about workers imported to do a job, like H1b visa holders, I agree with him. If he is talking about permanent resident green card holders, I STRONGLY oppose
    I believe he just means the visa holders.....other people immigrating here legally to live here are in the same boat with the rest of us.....they need to work too and aren't just here as a temporary job service to make money to send home and plan to go home when times get hard or they've collected enough money to go home and live well.
    Yeah, if my husband got the boot, I would have to get a real job and I couldn't spend my days calling my government officials and commenting with you fine people
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Interesting on Senator Grassley's and Senator Bernie Sanders part - two out of 100 senators is talking a bit for American Citizens, finally.

Senator Grassley, working with independent Senator Bernie Sanders, has introduced an amendment to the bill to ensure that workers holding H1-B visa’s cannot work for taxpayer-funded banks.

Good Idea, so it won't be added ....
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron
    Grassley's heart always seems to be in the right place. Too bad he doesn't have more power.
    It would seem the more money somone has, the more they are all for global anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast