Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Consumer Food Price Inflation Will Get Worse

Consumer Food Price Inflation Will Get Worse

MoneyNews
    Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2008

WASHINGTON — Americans who dug deeper into their pockets for groceries last year will face sticker shock again this year when shopping for food, experts said Thursday.
    Consumer food prices are expected to rise 3.0% to 4.0% this year after a 4.0% gain in 2007, said USDA Chief Economist Joseph Glauber at the U.S. Agriculture Department's annual outlook conference.

"There's going to be real food inflation in this country," said C. Larry Pope, president and chief executive of U.S. beef processor Smithfield Foods (SFD).

Prices of grain futures have surged lately. For example, wheat futures have more than doubled on the Chicago Board of Trade over the last 12 months. Pope said meat shoppers eventually will pay for the rally because farmers who raise livestock cannot absorb the sharp escalation in feed costs.

Pope said the rip-roaring rallies in corn, soybeans and wheat would be good for farmers, but are "scary" for companies like Smithfield and the rest of the livestock industry.

"I think we need to tell the American consumer that things are going up," he said in a speech. "We're seeing cost increases that we've never seen in our business."

The spike in grains prices stems partly from the growing biofuels industry, especially manufacturers of corn-based ethanol.

"While the ethanol boom can be expected to bring higher incomes to farmers and reduce government outlays for farm programs, it also will contribute to higher crop and livestock prices," Glauber said.

Robert Dineen, president and chief executive of the Renewable Fuels Association, said the United States should not have to choose between food and fuel supplies.

"We realize there are limitations from what we can produce from grains," said Dineen, adding that makers of biofuel plan to expand output from non-food sources, so-called cellulosic materials such as switchgrass and corn stalks and husks.

With more land being devoted to grains, an official of DuPont (DD) said the company's biotech researchers already are developing the next generation of seeds, which should lift yields for corn and soybeans.

Paul Schickler, a vice president at DuPont, said at the same conference that the next breakthrough in seed technology should help boost drought tolerance and hydrogen use efficiency.

This could boost yields by up to 40% in both grains in the years ahead, he said.

http://moneynews.newsmax.com/money/arch ... .cfm?s=mne
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Its interesting this article. Recently an American owned grocery chain opened up rather locally and had some great sales, not as good as a few years back when they were practically giving food away, with buy 1 get 5 free type stuff, but some lower prices on steaks, etc.

That same week, two local supermarkets sent out discount coupons for several weeks use, sighting how they were trying to control the increases in the food prices, but would see increases in many but not all products. They would try to hold the line where they could. One of those is a German owned company, the other a Danish company. One for 5% off, the other for 10% off. Competition good for the old budget.

Now I have a small local market plus a larger superstore type market American owned locally. I know who will get the bigger check out of me.

Just out of curiosity, what is the going price for dairy stuff around the country?

We pay 4 for eggs, 5 milk and butter. Even bread has gone up to almost 4 dollars.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    I would say our prices are simular for Milk, Egg's and Bread... Milk just went over 5.00 per gallon here in South West Florida
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Its ridiculous, I think. Guess were all feeling the crunch. But I would rather see it go to the farmer than some middleman.

This year I joined a CSA group with a local farmer. Going to see how that works out. They also have dairy and meat available.

The CSA is veggies, eggs and fruit. Meat cost isn't bad if you buy by the side, but not sure if that is right for me.

Localharvest.org is a great site to find these farms and other stuff.