Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Contaminated tomatoes are from Mexico: Bush, Nafta to blame

Michael Savage is blaming Bush and Nafta for all the contaminated tomatoes...All the tomatoes farms are now in Mexico where they use human fertilizer. Yuk!

I knew this issue would lead back to mexico....sewers usually do.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wish I could say that I was surprised but I don't think any one with half a brain couldn't see this outcome coming a mile away. Disgusting, sad, and pathetic! How do all those pro IA huggers feel now? Cheap tomotoes, all it's going to cost is the health of US citizens. Fair trade right?

Doesn't surprise me. Especially after George Lopezes comedy routien where he thought it quite FUNNY for Americans to get sick by this. Seriously, he advocated Mexicans using corn as toliet paper........oh, funny, funny!!!!! My az wipe to your lips. Oh and they are our "friend".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Contaminated tomatoes are from Mexico: Bush, Nafta to bl

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    Michael Savage is blaming Bush and Nafta for all the contaminated tomatoes...All the tomatoes farms are now in Mexico where they use human fertilizer. Yuk!
    We really need documented proof.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

You Say Tomato, I Say Salmonella

You Say Tomato, I Say Salmonella

Hi. Your food safety nerd here checking in. (Aren't you so glad Nancy and Ylan are writing now too so you don't have to read about bugs in your food all the time?) I've been keeping an eye on this salmonella outbreak linked to tomatoes and after a few updates, it looks like it's finally hit the big time.

The Food and Drug Administration yesterday issued a broad warning, telling consumers not to eat raw Roma, red plum or red round tomatoes, or products that contain these types of raw red tomatoes unless the tomatoes are from the following places:

California, Georgia, Hawaii, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Belgium, Canada, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Israel, Netherlands, and Puerto Rico

The FDA will continue to update this list of safe sources here.

Also safe are cherry, grape, and tomatoes sold with the vine still attached.

The tomato warning is a prime example of how complicated these outbreak investigations can be. The illnesses date back to mid-April! Since then, more than 145 people have become infected with an unusual strain known as Salmonella sereotype Saintpaul. (Is the person who first identified the bug from Minnesota or Catholic or both? Anyone?) States reporting illnesses linked to the outbreak include: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.

The outbreak comes a year after FDA launched its Tomato Safety Initiative, which was modeled after the Leafy Greens Safety Initiative that FDA started in the summer of 2006--right before the massive spinach outbreak.

Washington-area readers might find it interesting that FDA focused it's Tomato Safety Initiative on the eastern shore of Virginia as well as Florida. Over the past 10 years, the FDA says, most tomato-associated outbreaks have been traced back to the eastern shore of VA.

We will keep you updated on this. In the meantime: look closely at where your tomatoes were grown and don't forget to apply the same scrutiny to products or dishes (if you're eating out) that contain raw tomato such as salads, salsa or bruschetta.

Safe eating everyone!

By Annys Shin | June 9, 2008; 11:07 AM ET Annys Shin
    Previous: Uncovering those Hidden Fees |

CommentsPlease email us to report offensive comments.

Salmonella and tomatoes have an ongoing relationship. Sadly, it's a long list of outbreaks. We've gotten better at tracing the serotypes and finding the source of the tainted food, but we have to do more: we have to prevent contaminated food from entering the food supply in the first place.

In 1990, a reported 174 salmonella javiana illnesses were linked to raw tomatoes as part of a four-state outbreak. In 1993, 84 reported cases of salmonella montevideo were part of a three-state outbreak. In January 1999, salmonella baildon was recovered from 86 infected persons in eight states. In July 2002, an outbreak of salmonella javiana occurred associated with attendance at the 2002 U.S. Transplant Games held in Orlando, Florida during late June of that year. Ultimately, the outbreak investigation identified 141 ill persons in 32 states who attended the games. All were linked to consumption of raw tomatoes.

During August and September 2002, a salmonella newport outbreak affected the East Coast. Ultimately, over 404 confirmed cases were identified in over 22 states. Epidemiological analysis indicated that tomatoes were the most likely vehicle, and were traced back to the same tomato packing facility in the mid-Atlantic region.

In early July 2004, as many as 564 confirmed cases of salmonellosis associated with consumption of contaminated tomatoes purchased at Sheetz Convenience Store were reported in five states: Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia. Seventy percent were associated with tomatoes in food prepared at Sheetz convenience stores. In 2006 two outbreaks of salmonella-tainted tomatoes where reported by the FDA. One was blamed for nearly 100 illnesses in 19 states. FDA also traced tomatoes involved in another outbreak involving 183 people in 21 states.

Posted by: Bill Marler | June 9, 2008 12:29 PM

I notice that Mexico is NOT listed on the "safe" list.

I am guessing that somewhere in a field in our southern neighbor's territory tomatoes were picked and loaded onto trailers. Trailers that had been used to haul poultry products previously and were not properly cleaned and sanitized for the switch from raw poultry to vegetables.

There is a reason that US trailers used to haul poultry are not used to subsequently haul fresh produce; cross contamination is a real risk. Do Mexican trucking companies follow these guidelines or do they operate under the idea that a reefer trailer is a reefer trailer and can be used for any product that needs chilling?

I think that the FDA would do well to investigate the trailers that were used to haul these tomatoes to the distribution points. I think they will find the source of the salmonella contamination in the trailers.

And then what? The US cannot regulate a foreign trucking company that they have opened the roads up to. More illnesses down the road is all I can see unless screening is mandated at the distribution points before produce is shipped all over the US. More regulation for us, none for them. What a great deal!

Posted by: Edie Calhoun | June 9, 2008 12:38 PM

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thecheck ... v=rss_blog
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Stores pull tomatoes over fears of salmonella
    By Melissa McEver, The Brownsville Herald
    June 4, 2008 - 10:52PM
    Some Rio Grande Valley stores have pulled tomatoes from their shelves or posted signs warning customers to wash produce thoroughly, following fears this week that raw tomatoes could be contaminated with salmonella.

Restaurants and stores say they're awaiting more information, and that they doubt their tomato supply is affected.

The Texas Department of State Health Services is investigating a multi-state outbreak of illness caused by the Saintpaul strain of salmonella bacteria. It suspects raw tomatoes, particularly Roma and red round, are to blame.

As of Wednesday, 24 cases of salmonellosis related to the Saintpaul strain were confirmed in Texas, including one case in Cameron County.

On Tuesday, H-E-B stores throughout Texas pulled all Roma and salad tomatoes from store shelves. The stores were expected to have restocked shelves by late Wednesday with vine-ripened tomatoes, which health officials have said are safe, spokeswoman Dya Campos said.

Employees at El Globo Supermarket in San Benito posted signs informing customers of the concerns about Roma and red round tomatoes. The store will recall tomatoes if the state health department calls for it, manager Rigo Garza said.

Some restaurant managers said they hadn't heard about the salmonella outbreak as of Wednesday, but asked their produce suppliers about it after learning of DSHS' announcement.

At La Playa Restaurant in Harlingen, raw tomatoes are rarely served, and the ones that are served are unlikely to be contaminated, said manager Joe Rodriguez.

"Our produce (supplier) says the contaminated tomatoes are coming from Mexico ... and ours are from Florida," Rodriguez said.

Although Texas health officials say they haven't pinpointed the source of the salmonella infections, a New Mexico health official told the Albuquerque Journal Tuesday that tomatoes imported from Mexico could be the culprit.

Whataburger restaurants will continue to serve tomatoes on hamburgers because their tomatoes aren't Roma or red round, spokeswoman Pam Cox said.

The CDC recommended Wednesday that consumers in Texas and New Mexico eat cherry, grape or vine-ripened tomatoes.

Salmonella infection can cause headache, stomach pain, diarrhea and nausea, according to DSHS. Most people recover without treatment.
    http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/common ... e&id=87393

Another reason to never buy ANY food from Mexico. Wonder how it's going for the American farmers who moved to mexico?
    "

Ditto JP I do not trust Mike Savage to fact check.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    I knew this issue would lead back to mexico....sewers usually do.
    According to the FDA they do not know where the tainted tomatoes originated from, not yet. The story was reported on the Lou Dobbs show tonight. Even though there is a good chance the tomatoes came from Mexico, we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast