Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Constitution was written to protect all people and their right to personal belief in God or not of a God. We were "Under God" and if you believe in any kind of higher power or as Carlen would say..."The big electron..." this is true. No...the country was not a theocracy...thank God...

Bettybb...

I have read these statements and find them all powerful, insightful, inspiring and wonderful. But the bottom line is that it always ends up as an interpretation.

BUT.... If I may clarify one thing... we were founded in GODLY "principals"... NOT ANY ONE OR ANYONE'S RELIGION...!!!!
    GOD DID NOT SEPARATE MAN...RELIGION DID!!!

Now IMHO can we get back to issues that truly matter!!!!

Oh...the line thing...that has happened to me too...

MW
    Bettybb wrote:

Many of our Founding Fathers were not only not Christian, but aethiests, or anti Christian like Jefferson.
    Poor example, Bettybb. Jefferson was not anti-Christian, nor was he Deists.

[quote]The Religion of Thomas Jefferson

By David Barton

Of the 200+ Founding Fathers, the faith of most can be clearly identified. For example, one can say with great certainty that Samuel Adams, John Hancock, Roger Sherman, and William Livingston were definitely Christians; and one can say with equal certainty that Charles Lee, Henry Dearborn, Thomas Paine, and Ethan Allen definitely were not; but Thomas Jefferson’s faith is much more difficult to label with certainty.

Some assert that Jefferson was a Christian; others that he was not; and the source of this contradiction is Jefferson himself, for his own writings contain content that can be used to prove either position. Yet while the condition of Jefferson’s private faith is subject to speculation, his public actions regarding Christianity are not.

For example, Jefferson began his federal career in 1789 as Secretary of State to President George Washington, and one of his early assignments was to oversee the layout and construction of Washington, D. C. In late 1800, the new Capitol building was ready, and on December 4, Congress (with Vice President Thomas Jefferson presiding over the U. S. Senate) approved a plan whereby Christian church services would be held each Sunday in the Capitol.

Throughout Jefferson’s presidency, he faithfully attended the Capitol church (arriving each week on horseback) and did not even allow bad weather to impede his attendance. He had the Marine Band play at the worship services, and under his tenure Sunday services were also started at the War Department and Treasury Department. Of his faithful participation at the Capitol church, he explained:

No nation has ever existed or been governed without religion – nor can be. The Christian religion is the best religion that has been given to man and I, as Chief Magistrate of this nation, am bound to give it the sanction of my example.

Other presidential actions of Jefferson included:

• Urging local governments to make land available specifically for Christian purposes;

• Federally funding Christian missionaries to the Indians and providing funds to erect a church building in which they might worship;

• Assuring a Christian school in the newly purchased Louisiana Territory that it would receive “the patronage of the governmentâ€

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jefferson was pro choice...he wanted everyone to have a choice to believe or not... He was not anti God...though he did have a problem with religious zealots... As I do...and so should everyone... Now...Sunday school is over...

Quote Originally Posted by Bettybb
    For instance, American was not founded on Christian .
    BTW...this is most certainly true. Christianity and religion were not a part of our foundation. A belief in God was. And if you do not understand the difference or think them the same...please continue your studies...

Nuff on this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by hardlineconstitutionalist
    Jefferson was pro choice...he wanted everyone to have a choice to believe or not... He was not anti God...though he did have a problem with religious zealots... As I do...and so should everyone... Now...Sunday school is over...

Agreed. Jefferson was pro choice, as long as religion was kept separate from government. But he was not a Christian.
    Take a stand or all there will be left to do is to ask the last person in the country we once called America to lower the flag one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by hardlineconstitutionalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettybb
    For instance, American was not founded on Christian .
    BTW...this is most certainly true. Christianity and religion were not a part of our foundation. A belief in God was. And if you do not understand the difference or think them the same...please continue your studies...

Nuff on this stuff...
    Agreed that Christianity and religion were not a part of our foundation like many Christians are now claiming, falsely.

A belief in god was not a foundation of our government either. But many Americans at the time did believe in some form of a god, not necessarily a Christain god. Deists' belief is more of a sense of a universal force of nature, nothing like the Christian concept of a god.

Lincoln also was not a Christian, as clearly shown by his statement that "The Bible is not my book."

If you do not understand the difference between Americans having all sorts of personal religious beliefs, and the formation of our country based on secular beliefs only, you should continue your studies.
    Take a stand or all there will be left to do is to ask the last person in the country we once called America to lower the flag one last time.

MW
    "TruthMatters.info
    Because the truth really does matter!

America: A Christian Nation

Supreme Court Decision: Holy Trinity v. United States (1892)

“No purpose of action against religion can be imputed to any legislation, State or national, because this is a religious people … This is a Christian nation.

There is no dissonance in these declarations. There is a universal language pervading them all, having one meaning; they affirm and reaffirm that this is a religious nation. These are not individual sayings, declarations of private persons: they are organic [legal, governmental] utterances; they speak the voice of the entire people. … These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation.â€

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gb

he is a low life , just making money using people's anti everything !! that's all , it is about the mighty $$ nothing else! just like Rush , using our emotions and concerns to make themselves rich!! i do not believe anything they say both are hate mongerers!! they are good honest conservt leaders out there!
    I will always Stand by the Eagle, I will never betray the Eagle, I am loyal to the Eagle!

M,

Just because some Christian writes fiction that Jefferson et al were Christians does not make them so. I have cited Jeffersons own words, starting with his belief that Christianity " is the most perverted system ever shone on man".

What godly (?) principles affected the formation of our government? The ten commandments? Turn other the cheek? Love thy neighbor? None of it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast