Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Jay Leno On Obama

Last night in his monologue, Jay Leno noted that Presidential
    > candidate Obama spent Monday night at a fundraiser in Hollywood, where
    > attending movie stars and celebrities paid $28,500 a seat to hear
    > Barbara Streisand sing and taste exotic food dishes prepared by some
    > of Hollywood's greatest chefs. Then Obama got up and talked about how John McCain has lost touch with common Americans.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

how was the arugula?

Quote Originally Posted by alamb
    how was the arugula?
    not to mention the risotto.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Quote Originally Posted by alamb
    how was the arugula?
    not to mention the risotto.
    For $28,500 a plate, I better not see any risotto anywhere near that plate! LOL...

But I guess that's the difference between me and someone who can actually afford to attend a $28,500 a plate dinner. They are not going for the food...they are attending to buy influence in which they they will expect their allegiance to be rewarded at some point in the future.

Dirty, disgusting and shameful are words that come to mind when I hear of this garbage. Then we wonder why nothing ever changes in this country. Well, things actually do change for those who have the resources to attend $28,000 a plate fund raisers. Unfortunately, the change that benefits these people are usually not going to benefit the millions of middle-class folks who call America home...

How is this legal? I thought the donation limit was $2000 per person?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman
    True - for a donation. But this isn't "techincally" a donation, it's the bill for the food and entertainment.

But then again, what would we "common" Americans know about shelling out that kind of money on take out and blah entertainment?
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowman
    True - for a donation. But this isn't "techincally" a donation, it's the bill for the food and entertainment.
    They make at least a $25,000 dollar profit per plate after paying for the "food and entertainment". Why isn't this profit subject to the limitations? Sounds like a loophole that needs to be closed.

Hollywood stars feel like they don't "contribute" anything of substance to the U.S. or even the world, deep down. So, hanging out with politicians give them a feeling of power and being "in touch" and that they are being affirmed. They can get anything they want and political power is that which gives them a sense of self-worth. I forget who, but I remember hearing this discussed on a talk show, talking about what it is that Hollywood gets from politics.

It's a mutual ego massage!