Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Journalism isn’t Dead, but Newspapers are

It is their arrogance, It is their capitulation to leftist political ideology, It is their abandonment of accuracy and balance

Journalism isn’t Dead, but Newspapers are

By Alan Caruba
    Friday, December 11, 2009

As frequent readers of my commentaries know, I began my working life as a journalist. This, of course, ruined me for honest work!

As a result, I migrated into public relations, a craft or trade that likes to think of itself as a profession, but other than medicine, why would one want to be thought of in the same way as lawyers?

Nowadays, every endeavor with its own trade association calls itself a profession. All one needs is a Code of Ethics that its members can ignore and, voila, you’re a professional.

Journalists think of themselves as professionals and they too have a Code of Ethics as put forth by the Society of Professional Journalists. Let it be noted that I have been and still am a SPJ member for more than twenty-five years and, for much of that time, I also subscribed to Editor & Publisher, a publication that has been around for 108 years.

E&P died on Thursday. It was shut down by its parent company, Nielsen, along with The Hollywood Reporter.

If anything signals a near-death experience for print journalism; that is to say, the process by which the combined talent and efforts of reporters, columnists, photographers, and editors produced a daily portrait of a city, a state, the nation and the world, the loss of Editor & Publisher pretty much says “the times they are a-changing.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Can't argue much with the author. The print news has turned into nothing more than sensationalistic propaganda dribble. I no more read that trash than use it for starting the barbaque grill. And the author is very correct on non-biased truth not being reported. But that is what the left does, they infiltrate, and take over and use it to forward their agenda at the expense of the people.

Re: Journalism isn’t Dead, but Newspapers are

the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Miami Herald, the Boston Globe, the Chicago Sun Times, the San Francisco Chronicle, and the New York Daily News
    I will dance a jig when these papers fold, they are all anti-American illegal loving rags.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Having worked for years in journalism, I have to say that the bias of news organizations has become astounding. But, while weeklies will undoubtedly survive, they really don't care what is going on around the world, unless there is an American from that community somehow involved. So to get our news, we have TV and the Internet, and there seems to be very little unbiased reporting these days. News, unfortunately, has turned into opinion. We are becoming increasingly insulated from the rest of the world, something which is a serious slap to American freedom of making up their own minds.