Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

That child was obviously a witness to some bad "role models" at home. Normal children don't act out so badly, to the point of becoming arrested, handcuffed, fingerprinted, and put in a cell. And I believe the news reporter said that this wasn't the first time that this child had trouble in school. I hope for her sake, that someone in Social Services or an equivalent to those services, gets involved enough to help get this young girl some much needed help.

Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    That child was obviously a witness to some bad "role models" at home. Normal children don't act out so badly, to the point of becoming arrested, handcuffed, fingerprinted, and put in a cell. And I believe the news reporter said that this wasn't the first time that this child had trouble in school. I hope for her sake, that someone in Social Services or an equivalent to those services, gets involved enough to help get this young girl some much needed help.
    After placing the child in the back of a police cruiser, police released her to her mother when prosecutors informed them they wouldn't bring charges against a 5-year-old.
    Fingerprinted and put into a cell? Hardly. Why on earth is it always someone else's responsibility when someone acts up? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Seems like it is never the child's fault, and it is never the parent's fault. Then who's fault is it? I don't get it. Today's innocent little darling, is tomorrow's welfare recipient and criminal. If this kid can't get control of her emotions now, will she never hold a job, or be a responsible parent herself one day. Some of you are acting like the cops beat her or something. I miss the old days, when things made sense.

Should we also feel sorry for the "innocent" children who are being taught to hate the USA and join the Jihad? Tomorrow, they will kill us all.

Kindergartener jailed

Last Edited: Thursday, 29 Mar 2007, 6:33 PM EDT
    Created: Thursday, 29 Mar 2007, 6:33 PM EDT

Desre'e Watson, 6, was taken to jail. AVON PARK - Desre'e Watson better hold on, there may be tough times ahead.

She is just 6-years-old, and was just arrested and put in jail.

"I was scared," she recalled.

Desre'e goes to school at Avon Elementary. Police say she had a run in with a teacher, got angry, and began kicking and scratching. She even hit a teacher who tried to intervene.

It's hard for her mom to believe.

"She never falls out. She is very respectful. I tell her to do anything, she do it," offered mother Lateshia Wilson.

When school officials couldn't get her under control, they called in the police as a last resort. Officers say Desre'e just wouldn't calm down, so they handcuffed her and put her into a cruiser.

Next, they say she began to kick the door.

She was booked into the Highlands County Jail, just like an adult, and charged with a felony and two misdemeanors.

"I was very upset and felt like they violated my baby's rights," said Wilson. "I am very upset about it."

So upset, she called the NAACP to investigate.

Police say when Desre'e hit and kicked a teacher, she committed a crime. So, they had every right to arrest her.

"When there's an outburst of violence we have a duty to protect and make that school as safe as an environment for the students, the staff, the faculty, and that's why at this point the person was arrested," explained Police Chief Frank Mercurio.

A few years ago, St. Petersburg officers got national attention for arresting a rowdy 5-year-old.

Now, they can only arrest little kids after they get the okay from their supervisor.

Avon Park's chief stands by this arrest.

Suggested Searches
    Related Stories
    Print This Page
    http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/page ... geId=3.2.1
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Avon Park's chief stands by this arrest.
    So do I.

Banned
    What this is about is liability. So many irresponsible parents have unleashed their little demons on the public schools that the problem is becoming epidemic. Note this parent's denial of behavioral problems with the child despite the fact of hard evidence. When schools try to take appropriate disciplinary action, they are often sued and the teacher or administrator responsible loses his or her job. This makes it preferable to handle the situation as a law and order matter and to let the police, whose disciplinary powers are less likely to be the subject of a lawsuit, absorb any potential liability.

The simple fact is that it is the parents of such violent and disruptive little monsters who need disciplining.

If that was my child, I would be humiliated that her bad behavior was in the spotlight,. Instead they are playing to the media and waiting for the school and/or police to pay up. This situation is no better than the illegals playing the sympathy card. I am sick of all of them!

If the kid is traumatized, it is because her parents are negligent. No mention of the Dad, here (as always). Where is he?

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    What this is about is liability. So many irresponsible parents have unleashed their little demons on the public schools that the problem is becoming epidemic. Note this parent's denial of behavioral problems with the child despite the fact of hard evidence. When schools try to take appropriate disciplinary action, they are often sued and the teacher or administrator responsible loses his or her job. This makes it preferable to handle the situation as a law and order matter and to let the police, whose disciplinary powers are less likely to be the subject of a lawsuit, absorb any potential liability.

The simple fact is that it is the parents of such violent and disruptive little monsters who need disciplining.
    Point well taken, but I think there are better ways to handle this situation.

The use of handcuffs is outrageous!

I think the parents should be warned by the police and then held accountable if this hapens again.

Throw the book at the parents but not to the child for crying out loud!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDD_TX_USA
    Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost

Point well taken, but I think there are better ways to handle this situation.

The use of handcuffs is outrageous!

I think the parents should be warned by the police and then held accountable if this hapens again.

Throw the book at the parents but not to the child for crying out loud!

The reason for cuffs is that the child was being violent. Had the adults tried to resist the claws of the child, they would likely have been sued. I suppose that perhaps they could have used a little straightjacket instead, or perhaps a net...

The reason for cuffs is that the child was being violent. Had the adults tried to resist the claws of the child, they would likely have been sued. I suppose that perhaps they could have used a little straightjacket instead, or perhaps a net...

I am on the floor!!! Now that, is funny!

Personnel Directory

Administration

Chief Frank S.Mercurio 863-453-6622 appd@strato.net

Commander John Robinson 863-453-6622 appd@strato.net

Records Section 863-453-6622

Criminal Investigations Division

Investigations Division 863-453-6622

Chief of Police
    Frank S. Mercurio

MISSION STATEMENT

The Mission of the City of Avon Park Police Department is to treat all that they encounter with dignity and respect.

To be ever vigilant in the prevention of crime and relentless in the pursuit of those that violate the law.

The members of the Police Department are dedicated to “Providing Quality Service” and committed to enhancing the “Quality of Life” of the community they serve.

VISION STATEMENT

The Vision of the City of Avon Park Police Department is to safeguard life and property,

reduce crime, and to develop a strong and lasting partnership with their community.

VALUE STATEMENT

The members of the City of Avon Park Police Department:

Cherish Human Life.

Have integrity that is beyond reproach.

Honor and abide by the Constitution and treat all individuals fairly within the Law.

Value and respect its members for they are the foundation of this Department.

Are accountable for everything they do and constantly strive to maintain the highest

standards and traditions of the Law Enforcement Profession.

Are unyielding in their Service, Partnership, and Commitment to the Community they serve.

Frank S. Mercurio

Chief of Police 11/01/2005

Detective Sgt.M.Rowan 863-453-6622 rowanmj@flcjn.net

Detective Jake Bratten 863-453-6622 brattenja@flcjn.net

Detective Dan Schnieder 863-453-6622

Detective Sally Vega 863-453-6622 vegasj@flcjn.net

Crime Tip Line 863-452-4422 appdtips@flcjn.net

Patrol Division

Sergeant Jason Lister 863-453-6622 listerj@flcjn.net

Sergeant J.Davidson 863-453-6622 davidsonj@flcjn.net

Sergeant B Robinson 863-453-6622 robinsonb@flcjn.net

Sergeant S.Baerhold 863-453-6622 baerholdws@flcjn.net

Communications Division

Sergeant Walt McLendon 863-453-6622 wmclendo@strato.net

Under Florida law,e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail

address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this

entity. Instead contact this office by phone or in writing.

D.A.R.E/ Crime Prevention

Officer Tamara L. Neale 863-453-6622

Alltel Wireless Crime Line *APPD (2773)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast