Quote Originally Posted by 93camaro

Exactly, people quit for reasons that are valid to them but it still doesn't justify the action of not defending your beliefs or character. At the end of the day all you really have is your dignity, if anyone can look themselves in the mirror after quitting on themselves and be OK with it well then so be it, but I could never do it the way these scumbag politicians do.
Dede Scozzafava did defend her beliefs and character in the NY-23 along with her dignity. She withdrew from a race she was going to lose because of dishonest negative advertising and national media coverage. She endorsed Bill Owens, a man who was raised Republican in that district by a family of long-standing Republicans, whose law firm represents the State Republican Party, who has been registered as an Independent since he was 18 years old, and believes in many of the same things Dede and many Republicans believe in.

Bil Owens for example opposes any health care reform plan that takes 1 dime out of MediCare to fund it or raises taxes 1 cent on the middle class to pay for it. He opposes all tax increases on the middle class, too, which means he's probably not going to support cap and trade either. He's for workers rights and jobs, jobs, jobs and supports card check, something she also supports. He's also Pro-Choice like she is and I am and most Republicans are. We don't know what his position will be on amnesty. We know Dede would have voted the party line on that or she wouldn't have been selected by the 11 Republican County Chairmen to be on the ballot for the Republicans. I surmise the same is true for Bill Owens, on the reverse position, but we don't know yet, whether Bill will vote the Pelosi party line on amnesty or buck them. It is quite extraordinary that he was selected by the Democrats with his Republican/Independent background, where in his own words, he said most people think he's a Republican not knowing that he's been a registered Independent since he was 18, so the Democrats in that district are very moderate Republican leaning with not much difference in their philosophy.

So, Dede is the one who stood up for her beliefs and ... won. She prevailed on her issues and beliefs ... she just won't be representing her district in DC, instead she'll be representing her district in Albany, New York, cuz, she didn't quit her job, she just backed out of a race turned dirty and endorsed the nice guy she had more in common with, a Republican/Independent/Democrat.

The losing issue in this race was amnesty. I think Bill will support comprehensive immigration reform, the same as Hoffman.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Quite a little drama up there in the NY-23 and for me a sad outcome in that a seat Republicans have held since the Civil War is now held by the Democrats for no valid reason whatsoever except a silly man's greed for power who couldn't accept losing the selection to a woman.