Mission Hills hosts first annual Latino parent night

By: BRENDA DURAN - Staff Writer

SAN MARCOS----When parent Arnulfo Moreno got an invitation from Mission Hills High School officials to attend a parent night held specifically for Latino Spanish-speaking parents he said he saw it as the perfect opportunity to start getting more involved in his son's future.

"I want him to succeed," said Moreno whose eighth grade son, Mark, will attend the school next year. "I haven't always been as involved as I've wanted to be, this time I really want to."

Moreno was one of more than 100 Spanish-speaking parents who attended the school's first annual "Gran Convivio de Padres de Mission Hills High School" or "The Grand Parent Gathering of Mission Hills High" which was conducted entirely in Spanish.

The event was a way for the school to motivate Latino parents who do not speak English to participate in school activities and also acquaint them with the school's programs, said Maria Rodriguez, president of Mission Hills High School English Learner Advisory Committee.

"Unfortunately, we've seen a lack of participation from parents who do not speak English," said Rodriguez. "They get shy. We felt this was a good way to motivate them to come out and get involved in their kids' education as much as possible."

Parents from both of the district's middle schools San Marcos and Woodland Park along with those from Mission Hills High were greeted by principal Brad Lichtman, board member Sharon Jenkins and some teachers and school staff before two groups of ballet folkorico and a dance troupe performed for them in the school gymnasium.

Information booths were also set up to offer parents information from the parent-teacher organization, library, parent clubs, English Learner Advisory Committee as well as athletic and extracurricular programs.

Junior Maria De Loera said she had been telling her mom about the event for months.

"I told her she had to come," said Maria who was sitting at the ballet folkorico booth. "She was excited because it was going to be in Spanish and she would understand everything."

Parent Reyna Gonzalez whose daughter Deysi Merino is a ninth grader at the school said she was excited to attend the event and was planning on asking a lot of questions.

"Sometimes, we are not aware of all that is available and how to get involved," said Reyna in Spanish. "Today's event is a good start for all of us."

Parent Elizabeth Cortes whose daughter Cynthia is a sophomore at the school said she did not attend the school's parent night earlier this year because she was intimidated by her language barrier.

"If the school offers us a way to get information in Spanish that's great," said Cortes, who wants to join Mission Hills' parent-teacher organization. "I am always trying to know what's going on, and I want to be part of the school."

After parents munched on taquitos and desserts they participated in a raffle and walked away with Spanish brochures such as "How to take part in your child's education" among many others.

At the end of the event, Arnulfo Moreno said he learned how to enroll his son Mark in the AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) program at the high school and was pleased to know the school offered an array of resources for him.

"It was great. Its good to know all of these people will help me in supporting my son's success," said Arnulfo in Spanish.

Contact staff writer Brenda Duran at (760) 761-4408 or bduran@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/03 ... _16_07.txt