Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Nativity Scene Rejected at Wash. Capitol

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061221/D8M5A5UG0.html -

Nativity Scene Rejected at Wash. Capitol

Dec 21, 10:05 AM (ET)

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - The state's Christmas tree controversy has shifted from the airport to the Capitol, where the governor lit a menorah this week, but officials rejected a Nativity scene.

It all started earlier this month with the plastic holiday trees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

A rabbi wanted to add a large menorah to the display, but airport officials, worried about lawsuits and requests from other religions, ordered the trees removed instead. They put the trees back up a few days later - without a menorah - after Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky of Chabad Lubavitch in Seattle said he wouldn't sue.

Bogomilsky had made the same request last year for a menorah to go with the decorated trees at the state Capitol, and he said he was delighted Monday afternoon when Gov. Chris Gregoire lit a menorah, the candelabrum lit by Jews to celebrate Hanukkah.

But when Ron Wesselius, a real estate agent in Olympia, then proposed also adding a creche, a display depicting the birth of Jesus that is the religious basis for Christmas, he was turned down.

"I had been thinking about it, but it's one of those things - you don't want to create waves," Wesselius said Wednesday. "But when I saw the menorah was there, I thought, 'Hey, why don't I ask?'"

He said he was surprised at the response.

Steve Valandra, a spokesman for the Department of General Administration, said officials were concerned that in comparison with a tree or menorah, a Nativity scene might carry a stronger impression of government endorsement of religion. Lawyers for the state felt there was insufficient time to fully research the issue, he said.

"Based on that, without having more time, we had to say no," Valandra said.

Wesselius said he hadn't decided whether to press state officials to change their minds.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I disagree. A Menorah is a religious symbol representing a religious story of a miracle. I see no reason to deny a creche. Call the lawyers!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    The only religion that is forbidden is the religion of the nation's founders and its majority. We are at a crossroads.

This is nothing short of a blatant discrimination against Christianity and Christ. We need to create waves alright, waves that would swollow this whole sickening political correctness society we have become. It is a blight on our society and we are darn well going to lose our country over it if it is not stopped. If we are not allowed to give Christ his due even on his birthday, the very day our Federal Gov. declared a holliday, I feel something very destructive is going to hit our country, it has already started, though not all will admit that! If we continue this war on Christ in the form of being politically correct, to all religions except to the very one our nation was founded on, and still over 80 percent of our population counts themselves as being Christian, according to the polls, how long can we expect to have our strong,good, free, country remain that way? We are going to keep on with this stupidity until God chooses to banish us from his goodwill, then we will be in a sorry mess of our own stupid arrogant making! I for one say if we cannot recognize Christ in Christmas we should no longer get a free "holliday" off at his expense, how sorry is that, we want his birthday for a free holliday, then go so far as to deny the very reason we are getting that holliday off, how increadibly arrogant is that, to do something like that to Christ, on his very own birthday? I try to keep my mouth shut on religion, and probably will be edited for what I have said, but if any time is right for the saying of it, now is that time!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

I do believe a Christian backlash is in order! I agree NittyGritty. American Christians are not being treated fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    The only religion that is forbidden is the religion of the nation's founders and its majority. We are at a crossroads.
    Yes we surely are!

Psa 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

Quote Originally Posted by CCUSA
    I do believe a Christian backlash is in order! I agree NittyGritty. American Christians are not being treated fairly.
    You are right, CCUSA, we are not being treated fairly, sadly most won't even admit it, I guess it is called denial
    Build the dam fence post haste!

American Christians are not being treated fairly.
    The question is, why aren't the Churches speaking up, where are the Christians, and why isn't the Pope doing anything?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neese
    American Christians are not being treated fairly.
    The question is, why aren't the Churches speaking up, where are the Christians, and why isn't the Pope doing anything?
    The "Churches" are not really churches anymore. Now that they have to be incorporated they are subject to federal regulation and are therefore secular entities of the state through incorporation. They aren't allowed to speak up. In order to recognized as a "church" for tax purposes, they must maintain certain properties determined by the World Council of Churches. Otherwise they are classified as cults.

The Pope is not a religious leader. He is a secular leader (of the Holy Roman Empire, as successor to the original Roman Empire) masquerading as a religious leader. If that were not the case, he would not have the temerity to violate various biblical prohibitions from Christ's own mouth, such as the admonition to call no man "father" and the clear statement that the only path to Heaven is through Christ. He didn't say Heaven was attainable through himself OR the Pope or his subordinate priests. He and his church would also not be depicted by John in the Vatican colors and seated on Rome's seven hills as a mother of harlots linked to the pagan Babylonian mysteries.

Now that they have to be incorporated they are subject to federal regulation and are therefore secular entities of the state through incorporation. They aren't allowed to speak up.
    Why is it different for Jews and Muslims? I find it hard to believe that Christians are not allowed to speak out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast