Newark airport screener returns $5,000 cash found on floor

By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAYUpdated 1h 1m ago Comments

Transportation Security Administration agent is being lauded for returning $5,000 in cash that he found on the floor at Newark Liberty International Airport.

John Deschamp tells The Star-Ledger of Newark that he found the cash on Dec. 27 in Newark's Terminal C. The Star-Ledger writes the cash appeared "as if it had been stuffed in a pocket."

The Associated Press adds "officials say no security cameras were focused on the area."

Nonetheless, Deschamp -- a "supervisory screening officer" -- turned in the cash in the hopes it could be reunited with its owner, according to the Star-Ledger.

"Basically I was just doing my job and I would hope that anybody else would do the same," Deschamp tells the Star-Ledger. The newspaper writes he "worked with senior citizens and emotionally troubled youth before joining the TSA in 2002."

Deschamp says he was reluctant to go public with the story, but agreed to do so because of the string of negative stories involving the TSA in recent years.

"It is upsetting," he says to the Star-Ledger. "It just gets a little tiring, people constantly saying something. 'You guys are always in the paper for something bad.' But hopefully, some of the positive things will start getting out. Like my situation."

As for the cash, it was turned over to United Airlines since it was found near a check-in desk for United's elite-level customers.

United spokeswoman Mary Ryan tells the Star-Ledger that no one had come forward to identify the cash as of Tuesday. If no one does, the airline says it will use the money for charity.

Newark airport screener returns $5,000 cash found on floor - USATODAY.com