Cheap gas in Mexico lures Americans

By Brook Stockberger Sun-News Business Editor
Article Launched: 06/01/2008 03:19:53 PM MDT

LAS CRUCES — Despite news of violence across the border, the high price of fuel has motivated some people to cross into Mexico to buy diesel and regular gasoline.

Bob Pelham said that the three-hour round trip he periodically makes from his home near Silver City to Palomas, Mexico, saves him hundreds of dollars in diesel for his Ford F-250.

"I go to Wal-Mart and buy 5-gallon jugs," he said. "I also bought some 12 1/2 gallon (containers) and I try to arrive with an empty tank (in the truck)."

Roger Hanson travels a lot hauling products for his job, which often includes excursions to Mexico. Hanson, who works out of El Paso, said he regularly drives across the border to Juaréz to buy diesel for his pick-up truck.

"I filled up this morning for $2.18 a gallon," he said last week. "It has gone up; it was about $1.97 about four or five months ago."

He said gasoline was the equivalant of $2.79 a gallon.

According to AAA, the average price for a gallon of diesel in Las Cruces on Friday was $4.71 and the average price for a gallon of regular was $3.90.

But not everyone is convinced that the savings are worth the trip.

Las Crucen John Hayes owns Diagnostic Auto Repair Center and said fuel bought in another country is potentially dangerous for a vehicle.
"I would advise people stay with a major-brand gasoline, period," he said. "I would not go to Mexico and buy it."

Hayes said he has seen the effect of bad fuel on a vehicle.

"I've had them come in and they're running poorly," he said.

Bob Gallagher, president of the New Mexico Oil and Gas Association, said he believes the unknown of what a customer might buy in Mexico makes the practice too risky.

"The gasoline you put into your car has a significant impact on how your engine runs," he said. "There are extremely tight rules and regulations here in the United States. I would not think that I would want the chance of saving a couple of dollars to potentially costing me a new vehicle."

Gallagher said you might be able to get good gas in Mexico, "but why take the chance."

Also, since the EPA now requires diesel fuel sold in the U.S. to be of the ultra-low sulfur variety — 15 ppm according to the agency's Web site — diesel bought in Mexico might not meet those standards and could void the warranty on the engine of a new vehicle.

Doug Quillen with the Borman Autoplex said that, if high-sulfur fuel is used in a new vehicle that requires low-sulfur fuel and a fuel-related problem occurs, that could, indeed, void the warranty.

As for Pelham, he said he makes the trip to Palomas every couple of months. He fills all his gas containers — he has more than 20 — as well as his truck and he enjoys a meal at the well-known eatery and shop, the Pink Store, before he heads back north.

Pelham said he's never had a bad experience and often has the same attendant.

"The guy sits there (at the gas station) and fills them all up for me," he said. "The guy is clean-cut and speaks English fine. They all wear uniforms and the bathrooms are clean."

Hanson, though, said the reported violence in Mexico does cause him concern when he drives over to Juaréz once a week.

"I really would not suggest anybody not familiar with (the city) go over there," he said.

Brook Stockberger can be reached at bstockberger@lcsun-news.com

Want to buy gas in Mexico?

Here is some information pulled from several Internet sources for people who want to buy gas in Mexico:

• Fuel is measured in liters in Mexico; it takes 3.785 liters to make one gallon.

• Fuel is sold in pesos per liter. As of Friday, the currency exchange rate was 10.3189 Mexican pesos to one U.S. dollar.

• The gas stations are all run by PEMEX, the government monopoly. The PEMEX gasoline prices should be the same at most stations. Credit cards are not accepted.

• All the gas stations are full serve.

• Stay focused on the pump and make sure it is cleared to zero before gas is pumped.

Sources: www.mexadventure.com; www.mayanbeachgarden.com/TravelInfo; www.peoplesguide.com/mexico

Looking for gas?

If you plan to just fill up in the U.S., here are some Web sites that can give you an idea of what fuel costs in your area or where to find the cheapest prices:

• www.gasbuddy.com

• www.gasprices.mapquest.com

• www.gaspricewatch.com

• www.fuelgaugereport.com

• www.autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations. ... p&src=Netx

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_9447390