Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama's Oath

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I didn't watch it but I heard he messed up a line in the "repeat after me" part. Maybe the teleprompter gave out? Uh..uh...uh...uh...
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned
    I didn't watch it but I heard he messed up a line in the "repeat after me" part. Maybe the teleprompter gave out? Uh..uh...uh...uh...
    Maybe he was soooo eager to get into the Oval Office that he couldn't help himself.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Chris Wallace and Megan Kelly, FOX, were just discussing whether or not Obama completely and correctly stated the Presidential Oath. Garbled Oath said Wallace.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy
    Chris Wallace and Megan Kelly, FOX, were just discussing whether or not Obama completely and correctly stated the Presidential Oath.
    So was the CBS television news coverage team. Need to look for a YouTube upload since I missed the swearing in, but CBS was saying that the error originated with the Chief Justice and what he asked Obama to repeat.

Here we go - a corrected AP report.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD95R134G1

First inauguration for Roberts as chief justiceBy MARK SHERMAN – 31 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Chief Justice John Roberts swore in President-elect Barack Obama as president of the United States on Tuesday with a slight stumble over the wording of the oath of office in the first of what could be many important interactions between two men who rose to their positions of power quickly and who have some background similarities, but whose politics differ.

Separated by a Bible used by Abraham Lincoln at his first inaugural, Roberts asked Obama: "Are you prepared to take the oath, Senator?"

The former Illinois senator indicated he was, and Roberts started reciting — and Obama repeating — the 35-word oath that is prescribed by the Constitution.

But at one point, Obama paused abruptly after Roberts reversed several words in the oath.

The oath includes the phrase "that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States" but Roberts didn't say "faithfully" until after saying "president of the United States."

Obama apparently realized that something was out of order.

With Obama not reciting, Roberts then repeated the phrase correctly, the brief awkward moment ended and Obama was back on track. He was then the first to congratulate Obama on his new job.

The inaugural oath is the chief justice's sole responsibility on Jan. 20 — although it is a traditional role, not one set forth in the Constitution. But the affable Roberts and his conservative-leaning Supreme Court could have much to say in the years to come about Obama's most important policy choices.

Former President George W. Bush left the court with two relatively young and reliably conservative voices, those of Roberts, 53, and Justice Samuel Alito, 58. Roberts took his seat in 2005 and Alito joined him the next year. Roberts is the youngest chief justice in more than 200 years. He easily could still be in his role a quarter century from now, long after Obama has left office. He and Obama are similar in many ways. Both are late baby boomers. Roberts is 53, Obama 47. And both got their law degrees from Harvard and made rapid ascents to power. But their politics diverge sharply.

Roberts was an official in Republican administrations before becoming an appeals court judge and then chief justice under Bush. Obama was one of 22 Senate Democrats to vote against Roberts' confirmation to the Supreme Court in 2005 — the first time a Supreme Court justice has sworn in a president who voted against him. As president, Obama will try to use Supreme Court vacancies to counter Roberts' influence, either by replacing aging liberals with justices as young as or younger than Roberts or by changing the court's balance if a conservative justice retires unexpectedly.

Obama added the words "so help me God" to the end of the constitutional oath, following a practice established by George Washington and followed by most presidents.

The last time a chief justice swore in a president of a different party was in 1997, when Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, a Republican, swore in Democrat Bill Clinton for a second term. Two years later, Rehnquist would preside over Clinton's impeachment trial in the Senate which resulted in an acquittal. Obama didn't actually finish taking the oath until 12:05 p.m., five minutes after he actually became president under the Constitution. Clinton, in his first inauguration in 2001, also was five minutes late in taking the oath.

The Lincoln Bible used by Obama was on loan from the Library of Congress.

(This version CORRECTS Corrects that Roberts flubbed part of the oath, not Obama; adds that swearing-in was late.)

Miracles of electronic age ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmhndzr18GI

If Roberts swore him in, perhaps that was the subject of the meeting earlier between them. People were wondering if it related to the citizenship challenges.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    Also the reverand that spoke...talking about the black man, the brown man, the yellow man, the red man.....then he spoke of the "white man" to do what is right?!!! Well guess what... it was THE WHITE MAN that has brought change in every way imaginable... no MINORITY group could have brought change to the present day WITHOUT THE WHITE MAN?!!!!!!!
    Can the "white man" EVER be seen IN A GOOD LIGHT?!!!
    I don't think so. I think we have allowed ourselves to become so mired in the "white guilt" that has been heaped upon us, that we have in turn allowed those doing the "heaping" to ignore the responsibility they must bear for their own failures.

There is no question that for some the playing field isn’t level, and as a nation we have come a long way in correcting those inequities. After all, we now have a black president, don’t we?

Shame on that Reverend for his hate speech, for that is what speech is when it serves only to divide or shame us.

I’ll offer a little footnote here: It is a sad paradox that the “guiltâ€
    <div>
    </div>

The reverends prayer began well enough but toward the end it took a strange twist.I cannot repeat it word for word but he did ask in part that the yellow stay mellow,the black relax ?, the brown be allowed to stay around and the white (I don't remember because I was surprised by his may the brown stay around remark).
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

I don't like the whole situation just as much as anyone about him showing us anything about himself and background but this oath stumble thing is a waste of time!!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast