Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rats vs. puppies vs. snakes

Alonzo-Dunsmoor gives you the inside scoop inside West Valley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rats vs. puppies vs. snakes
    04/26/2007 06:58 PM

A Glendale man feeds a puppy coated in oil to a pet boa snake after allowing the snake to crush the little dog to death.

Joseph E. Beadle, 40, is now looking at up to a year in jail and a $150,000 fine for animal cruelty.

That got me wondering whether there was a distinction in state law between puppies and, say, rats -- a more socially acceptable meal for a snake. People don't really think twice about that.

What’s the difference? Both are furry creatures kept as pets. Granted, puppies are viewed as cute and cuddly, while rats have a far less flattering reputation.

Well, according to state law, there is no difference. Mammals, birds, reptiles or amphibians are protected.

Rats, mice — both mammals.

But when was the last time you heard a public outcry over a rat or mouse being fed to a snake? Both are even sold at pet stores specifically as snake food.

Arizona Humane Society spokeswoman Kim Noetzel said they also were wondering about the incongruity.

“That’s a question we’ve been looking at as this case has progressed,” she said. “Because if you read Arizona law as it’s written now, rats and mice would be included.”

She said that as a practical matter, she didn’t think someone would get arrested for feeding a mouse or rat to a pet snake. But a “puppy is a much different issue,” she said.

Why?

The bottom line, she says, puppies are not a natural food source for snakes. And there hasn’t been a case to test whether the law truly would apply to all mammals.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, a longtime advocate against animal cruelty, also makes a distinction between rats and puppies.

“I know a lot of people who go to the store and by rat poison,” he said. “Does anybody go to stores and buy dog poison? There is big difference between mice and rats and dogs.”

So what do you think?
    http://link.toolbot.com/azcentral.com/75987
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    A Glendale man feeds a puppy coated in oil to a pet boa snake after allowing the snake to crush the little dog to death.
    That is sick. Where would it end with this guy? I have to wonder about ANYONE who keeps a boa as a pet, and who routinely participates in its killing of other animals for food, or about the person who does buy rats, mice, rabbits, etc.. for a snake to kill and eat.

To me, this is a kind of person who ALREADY is sadistic by nature, but to allow a snake to crush, and then help it eat a puppy, well we all can just imagine that is someone who needs to be locked away before that level of sadistic behavior goes further.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    This is just more stupid crap that the government should be keeping its damned nose out of. All reason has been tossed out the window by idiots who learned their morality from Walt Disney rather than the Bible.

The simple answer to the question posed is that for a rational human being there is no qualitative difference between a dog and mouse. Even legally speaking, the state retains the authority to destroy (typically by lethal injection to the heart) any "unwanted" canines that come into its care. Furthermore, government authorizes the elimination of "pest" canines such as coyotes in most places. Remember that the state derives its authority from We the People, which means that the state has no power that cannot be exercised by the People in the event that the state ceases to be. So if the state has the authority to decide what animals may and may not be killed, then so does the free citizenry have such a right.

I agree Crockett, and remember these people are the same ones who are allowing the slaughter of millions of children in America. And, the same ones who will take a child from a parent when the parents are trying alternative forms of medicine for illnesses, in order to force that child into a medical procedure, or medicine the family objects to. Yes, on one hand they will allow unborn children to be killed unmercifully, yet force another to have medical procedures or medicine which at times do more damage than good.

My only question is with a person who finds some pleasure in having a pet which must kill it's prey and eat it, while being domesticated. It is the individual I question in this case.

I am not a dog person, but neither am I a rat or mouse person (although my kids have had them as pets before). I just cannot fathom the kind of person who participates in this kind of pet keeping.

The government, they need to keep their hands out of the majority of the business they have their collective noses in, in the first place.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    As someone who has kept snakes for years, I take exception to this:
    To me, this is a kind of person who ALREADY is sadistic by nature, but to allow a snake to crush, and then help it eat a puppy, well we all can just imagine that is someone who needs to be locked away before that level of sadistic behavior goes further.
    I currently own a red-tailed boa that is 4 1/2 feet in length and eats mice. There is absolutely nothing 'sadistic' in feeding this animal, it eats the way God intended it to.

I previously owned a Burmese python that was 12 feet in length and weighed about 80 pounds. It ate chickens and rabbits. Although i didn't feed it any puppies, had it been loose instead of caged it would have eaten puppies just as easily, and it could hardly have been determined that it's food choices would be 'unnatural'.

In fact, due to the 'sympathy factor' involved, giving away puppies became very easy when I threatened to turn them into snake food. It may not have been 'politically correct', but it was VERY effective.

What I'm trying to say is that pronouncing judgment on someone's character because they own a snake and feed it the way God intended is not fair, right or Christian.

According to you, AmericanElizabeth, I should be
    ...locked away before that level of sadistic behavior goes further.
    Thanks for that.

I must say to a snake, puppy and rat are one in the same.

I hate snakes and this is really grose.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Pinestraw, I am speaking of this kind of particular person who seems to not only keep the snake, but finds it entertaining to watch the killing of another animal. I refer to this as I knew a guy who had this kind of personality, he was gleeful after a feeding of his snake, and would come to work and discuss the details and felt we should all be interested, furthermore, took exception to the fact that we did not want him mentioning his snakes eating times.

I will admit, no I cannot understand keeping a creature which required me to feed it another live animal. To me, it belongs out in the wild, to do what it must in the privacy of the jungles it is naturally from.

I don't see everyone who has a snake, personally, as a nut job, but the ones who get a jolly from watching the killing and eating of the other animal.

The puppy thing. Hmmm....I have to say I do have more compassion for a puppy than a rat or mouse, so of course that part bothers me as well, especially since he allowed it and greased it up to help the snake devour it.

But truthfully Pinestraw, I cannot understand wanting a snake, to me it is simply not at all pet material, kind of like the scorpion we saw at Scamps pet store the other night. And...we have friends in Washington who keep huge lizards, which they walk about with the big green things draped around their shoulders like it was a kitty. This thing is about 4 feet, and occasinally snaps at even their fingers. WHY?

Sorry Pinestraw, we'll always be at an impasse on this subject, I just cannot fathom having such a potentially dangerous creature for a pet.

Banned
    I don't know about your particular acquaintance, AE, but I do know that blanket statements pronouncing judgment are a bit much. Some people own pit bulls just to watch them fight, does that make EVERYONE that owns a pit bull a dog fighter?

I know my Burmese python was worth over $1,000, and if I needed to grease it's meal it wouldn't have bothered me one bit. I had one that was 8 feet long and it choked itself to death trying to eat 2 rabbits. Served it right for getting greedy, IMO.

I just felt that you were a bit harsh on snake owners, I don't think we need to be locked up for feeding our pets.

Really, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys
    As someone who has kept snakes for years, I take exception to this:
    I currently own a red-tailed boa that is 4 1/2 feet in length and eats mice. There is absolutely nothing 'sadistic' in feeding this animal, it eats the way God intended it to.

I previously owned a Burmese python that was 12 feet in length and weighed about 80 pounds. It ate chickens and rabbits. Although i didn't feed it any puppies, had it been loose instead of caged it would have eaten puppies just as easily, and it could hardly have been determined that it's food choices would be 'unnatural'.

In fact, due to the 'sympathy factor' involved, giving away puppies became very easy when I threatened to turn them into snake food. It may not have been 'politically correct', but it was VERY effective.

What I'm trying to say is that pronouncing judgment on someone's character because they own a snake and feed it the way God intended is not fair, right or Christian.

According to you, AmericanElizabeth, I should be [quote:168y1tvp]...locked away before that level of sadistic behavior goes further.
    Thanks for that. [/quote:168y1tvp]

you mean god attended for snakes to be in a cage and to be feed by you? really? you believe that? wow
    I am GOD Almighty as spoken by the MOD of this site ... who breeched my profile and privacy . Thank you for being above everyones rights

Do you have a problem with other's BELIEFS, LOCKIT?

I would hope not It IS a FREE COUNTRY, isn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast