School's yearbook upsets parents with content
May 26th, 2008 @ 9:53am
by Associated Press

Pictures of student tattoos and piercings, a portrait of a lesbian couple and photos suggesting underage drinking in this year's Queen Creek High School yearbook have caused an uproar among some parents who say the photos are inappropriate.

The parents upset over the photos say they want more control over the yearbook's contents next year.
They asked the school board last week to make policy changes, or else they'll find another high school for their children next year
Reed Cummard, with three children in the district, said he feels by allowing these types of photos in the yearbook, the district is condoning and glorifying what they portray.

``My main concern is to let you all know we do have core values,'' Cummard told the board. ``We don't want to call it 'an error in judgment.' I think it's a possible oversight. I don't want to be blind-sided by the yearbook next year. I hope we can get a commitment that this won't happen again.''

Billy Van Camp, pastor of San Tan Heights Baptist Church in Queen Creek and father of two in the district, said he was horrified by some of the content and said he would not send his son, a sophomore, back to Queen Creek High if the board doesn't make some changes. His son has returned his yearbook to the school.

``We have problems in our schools,'' said Van Camp, adding that hundreds of parents are upset about this year's yearbook. ``We've lost control of our kids. It worries me. My heart hurts, and I just pray for our people.''

Yearbook adviser Robert Boop, who also spoke to the board, said the class of 17 seniors has varied religions and beliefs, and the students all agreed what would go in the yearbook.

``Yearbooks are created for a reason,'' said Boop, who has taught the yearbook class for three years. ``It's not meant to satisfy everyone. Yearbook is supposed to be history as (students) see it.''

Students received their yearbook earlier this month. About 930 books were distributed, he said.

Parents began calling the school last week to complain.

Besides the tattoos and piercings pages in the 224-page book, some parents were also concerned about a picture of two students holding red plastic drinking cups. The students were named ``best partiers.''

Another photo of concern is a lesbian couple posing on a couples page.

With three children in the district, Laura Parish said the pictures promote sex and other inappropriate behavior.

``What does it have to do with high school life?'' Parish said.

``I don't think we should promote long-term relationships (at this age),'' she said.

Russ Florance, whose two daughters are on the yearbook staff, was the lone parent speaking to the board in support of the yearbook.

He said the district cannot set certain boundaries.

``I understand the concerns, but as a public school, you cannot draw the lines to what is acceptable,'' Florance said. ``Tattoos and piercings is life. As much as we don't agree with it, it's their right,'' he told the board.

His daughters, juniors Dawn and Devon Florance, said they don't see any problems with the photos. They stressed that they don't have any tattoos or piercings.

``These are just everyday things we see around campus,'' said 17-year-old Devon. ``Our yearbook is tame.''

http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=847805