Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 'They don't care. They let us die': Miami prostitutes and drug addicts reveal their

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'They don't care. They let us die': Miami prostitutes and drug addicts reveal their

'They don't care. They let us die': Miami prostitutes and drug addicts reveal their harrowing tales from the streets in devastating new photography collection

• Photographer Bruce Gilden captured striking and harrowing portraits of prostitutes for his new collection
    • They told him stories of being set on fire, seeing everyone as a predator, and how they got hooked on drugs
    • Gilden made a name for himself by taking portraits of people walking the streets of New York City for decades
    • But he recently began traveling across America, where he saw a number of white women addicted to drugs
    • Gilden said these women reminded him of his own mother, who had struggled with alcohol and pain killers

By Anneta Konstantinides For Dailymail.com
    Published: 12:04 EST, 31 December 2018 | Updated: 13:31 EST, 31 December 2018
    1k shares
    333 View comments

Katrina became hooked on heroin after she lost custody of her baby boy. Alice was lit on fire by another woman working the streets. Trish became addicted to pills while trying to treat her chronic pain.
    These are just three of the women featured in American photographer Bruce Gilden's new devastating collection 'Only God Can Judge Me'.
    Gilden, who is part of the famous photo cooperative Magnum Photos, made a name for himself in the photography world with his close-up portraits of the many characters that roam the streets of New York City.
    But it was when he began taking pictures outside of the US, that Gilden found inspiration - and a personal connection - for his new portrait collection of Miami prostitutes.

+8

Famed photographer Bruce Gilden's new collection, 'Only God Can Judge Me', features striking and devastating portraits of prostitutes in Miami

+8

In all of these women, Gilden could see his own mother - who had been 'ravaged by pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, and her lifestyle,' he wrote in his new book

'As I traveled through America, I noticed the same pattern in many cities: in all the bad areas, I saw white women, generally young and at one time generally pretty, who were drug addicts,' he wrote.

'And I'm talking serious heroin or crack addicts. Many of them admitted they were sex workers and in many instances they looked like a shell of themselves.'
    'This struck me very deeply bringing back memories from my youth.'
    In all of these women, Gilden could see his own mother - who had been 'ravaged by pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, and her lifestyle,' he wrote.
    It was this personal connection that inspired Only God Can Judge Me, in which Gilden photographed prostitutes in Overtown, Miami.
    Gilden interviewed his subjects as well, pairing their harrowing tales on an adjacent blank page next to their striking portraits.

+8

Gilden interviewed his subjects as well, pairing their harrowing personal tales on a blank page next to their striking portraits

+8

Gilden said he noticed a pattern while he traveled through America and continued to see white women who drug addicts

'It's hard to imagine how much suffering and how little hope their stories contain,' Gilden wrote. 'We ignore them but they do exist and survive at the other end of the spectrum.'
    There is Katrina, the woman who lost her one-year-old son. She told Gilden that her mother - who 'collects foster kids for paychecks' - had set her up.
    'I couldn't get him back. I was really disappointed and my boyfriend introduced me to heroin when I was almost going to commit suicide,' she continued. 'I have been doing drugs for about five and a half years.'
    Also featured is Jessica, a prostitute who revealed that she looks at 'everybody as a predator'.
    'The most traumatic thing that ever happened to me was when I had people try to kidnap me and I had to jump out of the car on the highway and run for my life,' she told Gilden.
    It is Jessica, who has the words 'Only God Can Judge Me' tattooed across her chest, that served as the inspiration for the book's title.

+8

+8

As is his signature, many of Gilden's photos in the collection are very up close and personal portraits of the women

+8
    Trish (pictured) was married, a self-described 'ladies who lunch', before she got hooked on pain pills at the age of 20, she told Gilden during their interview

Trish was married, a self-described 'ladies who lunch', before she got hooked on pain pills at the age of 20.
    'I have chronic pain in my body. I had never taken a drug prior to that and I said, "Oh my god, I feel so much better" and that was it,' she told Gilden. 'That got a hold on me and this is where I wound up.'
    Gilden also photographed a woman named Alice, who was set on fire by a fellow prostitute in 2001.
    'She drugged me and poured gasoline down the front of me and lit me on fire,' Alice revealed.
    'My theory is that if you're going to kill me, let me see your eyes first, don't come up behind my back as a coward. That's a coward and that's why she's at where she is now. I took care of that.'

+8

Gilden also photographed a woman named Alice (pictured), who was set on fire by a fellow prostitute in 2001. 'She drugged me and poured gasoline down the front of me and lit me on fire,' Alice revealed

Kat, 42, has been living on the streets for the past 20 years.
    'I've been here most of my life,' she told Gilden. 'There is no kind of help for people that do opiates in Miami. They don't care. They let us die.'

Gilden said he plans to continue the project, which he hopes will show people what drugs can do to 'anyone's loved one'.
    'It's always interesting when people say that they have trouble looking at these faces,' he wrote. 'Just imagine you have to look at your mother's face.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ollection.html
    If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... and brother its starting to rain. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

you better get that damn border wall up and do it like yesterday. This is you and your family and friends fate whether you believe it or not; its just a matter of time now
    If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... and brother its starting to rain. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's heartbreaking. And they are helpless to do anything about it. The opiates totally control them.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Red White Blue News shared a post.

Direct From The Other Side of L.A.: Skid Row

Direct From — with Dena Takruri
    31 December 2018 at 13:17 ·

Thousands sleeping on the streets, without toilets, food or water. This isn't a developing country – this is Los Angeles's Skid Row.

Video https://www.facebook.com/DirectFrom/...6060689508616/

It's terrible. Very very sad.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Opiates aren't the only drug destroying lives in our country right now!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It is very expensive to live in this country and pay your monthly bills. Yet we are flooding our country with overbreeding, 3rd world, uneducated foreigners and bringing in skilled workers through visa programs taking our jobs.

We cannot keep building Section 8 housing, giving out vouchers if people continue to overbreed in poverty and make a career off of living on the dole for generations in the family.

Overcrowding our schools with foreign children who are not here legally and do not belong on our soil, let alone in our schools, and it is very costly to American taxpayers. Our children's education is suffering for it. They have no Student Visa to attend our schools and they should not be permitted to enroll in classes. Send them home!

These foreigners are bankrupting our social services programs, overcrowding our neighborhoods, schools and healthcare system. Money that is taken away from American citizens who need help.

I also think women put themselves at a disadvantage when they have several kids, end up single parents, or divorced and they end up in poverty due to these choices with no means to support themselves. Many of the fathers do not pay child support. The mothers and children suffer for it while trying to make ends meet. They end up in skid row.

Drugs are a big issue now and no work ethic, no sense of responsibility.

This country is headed into a major downfall if we do not stop and reverse the policies of putting foreigners over American citizens and clean this country up.

We are 22 trillion in debt, we waste over $133 BILLION a year on illegals alone, soon to double in costs!

We need to put a pause on policies and costs that bring these foreigners here and start focusing on our own people.

Bring the Trades back into our schools Grades 9-12 and overhaul the entire curriculum so these kids can get jobs and a head start on a path to success.

We need Global Population Control and qualify of life...not more overbreeding, ghettos, crime and no future.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL